All: Soaps & Real Life Pregnancies

• Members

I mostly remember her wandering around at the end of her pregnancy with the fakest padding ever, so I assumed it wasn't real. I guess that was after she got back from maternity leave.

GL - Marcy Rylan was pregnant in the show's last months. Lizzie wasn't for most of the time, but at the end, when they did a flash forward to a year later, Lizzie was now pregnant. Jessica Leccia was also pregnant in GL's last months, but the character was not.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC - Sydney Penny was pregnant in 2007 and therefore wasn't around to say goodbye to Jamie, her only real story in her last year or so on the show. She did return and was killed off (I guess she should have tried a Genie Francis maternity leave).

Liz Hubbard was pregnant while on The Doctors but I don't think it was written in.

On Dark Shadows, Alexandra Moltke, who had been dissatisfied with how stupid and dull Victoria had become, learned she was pregnant. As the show didn't want virginal Victoria to be pregnant, they mutually agreed to let her leave.

Did he throw it at them? I'm glad none of his students had heart conditions.

• Members

British soaps tend to have a very different way of dealing with pregnancies, as their actresses take lengthy maternity leaves (six months to a year) and they aren't replaced.

Allison King, Carla on Corrie, was in a story about her husband, Tony, going nuts and killing her lover, Liam. They had to write her out as she was heavily pregnant, so she fled to America when she learned the truth about Tony. The story was rewritten for Tony to fall in love with Liam's widow, Maria. Samia Smith, who played Maria, had to play a pregnancy on the show when she wasn't actually pregnant, and then became pregnant in real life. Once Tony was arrested for his crimes, Maria left town for a while due to the horror of it all.

Kym Marsh, who was pushed as the show's lead heroine for several years, temporarily left the show in 2009 as she had a miscarriage. She returned but left again in late 2010, as she was pregnant again. The character just left for singing tours.

One of the more fraught was Patsy Palmer on Eastenders. Early this year, Patsy, who worked up to her seventh or eighth month, went into labor early. Key scenes involving Bianca's exit had to be rewritten - Bianca bludgeoned a man who'd been having sex with her mother and stepdaughter. They had to just show the back of a woman with red hair and Bianca's coat running around, and had to throw in some old audio clips of BIanca.

• Members

They had the potential to do that when Margo was pregnant a year earlier, but instead they had her miscarry and had Emily convince Tom he wasn't the father and that Margo was going to have an abortion. Really vile writing that destroyed Emily.

• Members

Yeah, I fully admit to liking camp. :D Actually I remember a soap magazine mentioning Westmore's bout with an ear infection that caused her to have vertigo and they made a big deal about Sturges replacing Westmore since she was apparently popular on Days of Our Lives (wouldn't know, was only watching All My Children and Another World at the time) and her last soap role before then was on Port Charles as Kate (who I think was a forgettable character.)

Archived