ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Members

I find it baffling that they are releasing the final episodes of ATWT. I daresay that the majority of fans who cared to watch those poorly-written and conceived episodes have already recorded them or watched them on youtube. Sure, there will be some fans who have not, and who will purchase a set such as this, but I'm sure that other episodes, not yet released and unseen in YEARS, would attract a larger consumer base and sell more copies. Hmmm.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I understand the idea but it`s too soon for it. They should have continued with classic episodes. I have the last 10 episodes on dvd recorded. The script interests me but they should have sold it separately. A bad move onsoapclassics part with this release.

• Members

Hopefully, I can purchase some more of these. I just haven't had the money but I bought the first ATWT collection and the Christmas collection a few months ago. I love the idea of the final 2 weeks, I had the episodes on my DVR but never got around to transferring them before my brother moved out last week and took the DVR with him.

• Members

Considering this is the only release out of so many focused on newer episodes, yall need to stop complaining. Not everybody wants older episodes and I don't see the problem in having ONE set focused on that. Most shows are immediately released on DVD when a season ends and they sell bucket loads. There's a better chance of selling this than there would be of sellling 10 episodes from 1975, even though I'd probably prefer the 1975 episodes.

I'm fine with variety, not just for myself as a fan, but it's a smarter business movie since you do have a huge fanbase that has never seen the older episodes and has no interest in them. There are a lot of loyal viewers that started watching in the later years and actually enjoyed what they saw. There were so many popular, buzzworthy couples of those later years and I see nothing wrong with showcasing them.

• Members

I know people here have said they want newer episodes, and if they're saying it here, they're probably saying it much more loudly elsewhere. I am not sure whether they meant they wanted the show's last ten episodes, but I can still see this selling. I won't be getting it, but I hope that it works out for Soapclassics and they keep releasing DVDs.

• Members

Of course, regular and would-be buyers commenting on the viability of certain releases, and what they consider potentially better sellers, is not akin to "complaining". No one has refuted the company's right to sell any episodes they wish.

Respectful opinions in a forum such as this are all welcome, even though they may not be shared by all.

• Members

Also re: getting sets of newer episodes, Roger's explained that it's a complicated process to get the older episodes sorted, label, transferred to digital, the music issues, etc. It's like sorting through years of family photos---if your family took more than 250 pictures year and then simply threw them in a box and stored them in the attic.

I suppose including the "last ten" was a nod to the end of the Reid saga...but frankly I could have done without them. It doesn't sound like there is any "bonus" material---stuff that was cut out of the last eppy but put online afterward. That would have been nice. I don't get including the director thing at all.

• Members

I was one of the people loudly asking for newer episodes here (I'm 24 so I definitely wasn't watching the glory days- I still bought the Lily/Holden set but the original 20 ep release skewed a bit too old for me) but I definitely meant more recent past (i.e.things that were relatively popular like Simon/Katie, early Will/Gwen, crazy Barbara- mainly the good Hogan stuff) than the bitter (Ciccone) end. That said, I'll probably buy it just to have the finale on a nice quality DVD versus youtube.

• Members

I know I've said this before, and that it's unrealistic, but I think something like this would do well with one or two "new" scenes - bring in a few of the actors to have one more scene with Nuke, or Holden and MB's Lily.

Of course it will do well regardless of this but I think that might get a bigger spike in sales.

• Members

It would be wonderful if they could get, say, Don Hastings and Kathryn Hays sitting on a sofa with a scrapbook, commenting (as Bob and Kim Hughes) on some of their fondest or most vivid memories of times gone by. The characters could refer to other characters and update the audience on them, all the while flashing back to glorious moments from the past. This could work particularly well if the studio had various bits and pieces of classic episodes which were incomplete, and hard to include in any other collection. I'd buy something like that in a heartbeat.

• Members

I don't mind newer episodes, its just the fact that they are all from the last year. And those last two weeks weren't as good as I expected them to be, but that's just my own personal opinion. Whil I do prefer 70s-90s, I would have taken 2000-2007 over this.

• Members

I think it would be nice if they did something similar to what Coronation Street did. They released DVD sets that included 8 key episodes from every single year of the show's run from the beginning up until its most recent year on the air. Of course, ATWT couldn't do that because of wiping, and plus, 8 episodes per year would be a lot to release in one set, but I think 20-episode box sets for the 80s, 90s, and 00s would be good (and maybe something that brings together all the clear 50s-70s episodes that are found). As bad as the 00s were, it would be very easy to find 20 truly great episodes from throughout the decade. I'm basically looking for anything that's gonna get Jennifer's death on DVD.

• Members

We must think alike because I suggested exactly this in the Soapclassics survey. And I want Jennifer's death too- that was one of the best weeks of ATWT in its last years. I would even take a saddest deaths release even though that's kind of morbid- I think there are probably a lot of great death episodes with fantastic acting.

Archived