ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not trying to say there's some sort of conspiracy, just looking at the two episodes that were being teased and the hint about an episode from the Carrie Marler story gave me the impression that this set would consist of a lot from that era. While a great era indeed, I would love to see a random selection of episodes from various eras.

I forgot that only content from 1979 onwards is available. It probably makes the selection a lot harder. I guess I'm hoping for a good representation of all eras that are available.

I wasn't trying to be rude or snarky, forgive me if I came off that way.

• Members

Those are sort of considered GL's reviving years and a decline for ATWT (although from what others here have said ATWT was still solid up to about 1977 or so). I'd love to see more of the Dobsons work, especially the early days of Jackie Marler.

• Members

Oh, it's okay. I think daytime fans are conditioned to suspect TPTB since they've destroyed our soaps. Soap Classics is really the opposite of that though. And in picking the episodes I don't choose my 20 favorites. I think my faves have pop music that instantly rule them out anyway. I pick a mixture of different eras and favorites that I think will play well across the board.

I found GL harder in the sense that you don't get the same characters all the way through from 1979 to the end like with ATWT. With different head writers came dramatic shifts in who was featured. I probably teased some of the early 80s just to give it a "Classics" feel. My favorite character was Rita and I wish I could release a Rita DVD! LOL Maybe someday.

The streaming of episodes is still to come. It's a long process but eventually you'll be able to purchase seasons or stories or something like that online.

You needed him. LOL

• Members

I think that like the ATWT set, we will ALL nitpick and list 30 or 40 episodes they COULD'VE legitimately been included. I look at this 20 episode sets more as starter sets. Based on reaction they'll know whats popular to feature later on and also further episodes fans want to see. Can't put everything on one set. I'm sure this one will be varied, but you can't please everyone. Unlike ATWT which had very specific eras thanks to the success of Marland, GL has tones of incarnations worthy of inclusion. Also within certain eras there are certain characters that need to be highlighted. This is a huge, huge undertaking. I look forward to seeing what happens.

• Members

I'd rather have DVDs than buying streaming ones.....lol. Although with a new laptop they might look great online...lol....As for Kelly...well he was a central point of GL at one point just like Douglas was to ATWT. Like I said I'd more than licely pay more for a larger sets of both shows. Both shows and Y&R were my favorties growing up.

• Members

Rita is one of my favorite characters too! I hope some of the Rita/Alan affair is available, as I have never seen any of it.

GL did have so many different shifts in tone and taste. I think the one consistency was complex characters and strong female characters. I guess the high point for that was the 80's, even if the 80's also had a lot of wild changes in tone and focus.

Archived