ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Members

I finally started the James Stenbeck set and the first episode was GREAT. I loved all the characters featured and it was a good episode to jump in. This is the first time I've enjoyed stuff from the early 80s with the Stewart's. I liked the actresses playing Dee and Annie and I also enjoyed Ellen. It was nice seeing Lisa as well. Another plus is that in addition to the scenes with James and Barbara on the bus, we got some great flashbacks out of it.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL that CZ would even remember what it was supposed to be..not sure why later writers didn't just make use of the vets knowlege when writing things.

Peter B...hmmm, all I know him from is ATWT and the first Friday the 13th, where he plays the camp owner. Maybe in the 70s that kind of guy was supposed to be sexy but he was running around in shorty shorts with his shirt off, and uh, was the scariest part of the movie! I think the problem with Brad was that the Dobsons brought him in to be this sexually dynamic, morally ambiguous person (were they thinking an eventual Roger Thorpe?) and the actor didnt gel with that and ATWT wasnt really the type of show at that time which could sustain that. So I think the Dobsons changed him into this tortured guy in love with two sisters but, really what was his motivation? He is coming on to Annie and then wanting to take a bath with Dee? And how could he be in love with Dee when they never had a date? And why did he marry Annie if he was in love with Dee? I could see if he had slept with her and knocked her up but...

Maybe it would have worked with a more sexually dyanmic (at least on screen) actor.

• Members

I think the idea was that he was a heel and the purity of the Stewart girls would help him mature, while he helped them loosen up. I guess I get the idea, on paper. I have only seen a few episodes of him, maybe he was better in those, I don't know.

I will say that I liked Annie a lot more in this episode than I did in some of those before and after, like the 1981 episode where John falls down the stairs, and she is styled like a 45 year old Mary Kay saleslady.

• Members

A few days ago I watched the next 1980 episode.

The guy who played Brad did a much better job in this episode, probably because it was not focused on Dee or Annie. The way he lashed out at Eric after their father died and Eric wasn't there in time felt so believable and didn't have any of the contrived melodrama. Peter Reckell was adorable - I couldn't believe the popped collar! I didn't know that was even a fad in 1980, I thought that started a few years later. He obviously didn't work out on ATWT but Betty Rea's instincts were right.

Were they deliberately trying to make Dee like Alice in Wonderland? She had the same hairstyle and even the same headband. Not that interested in Dee but you can definitely see the chemistry between Jacqueline Schultz and Larry Bryggman. The whole setup with this loud drunk guy hitting on her was a little disturbing, especially when she said maybe she was wrong and he'd done nothing inappropriate.

Mary in the hospital with Princess Leia hair. I guess this must have been fairly close to the end for Don and Mary. Considering how confusing and long-running the Teddy story was, I wish they'd done more with it than just the bore Ryder. The best part of this was Lisa at the office, trying to tell Grant about his issues with Don, and rivalry, and Grant telling her to stop stirring!

When did they phase that office out?

Seeing Lisa and Nancy try to be polite to Barbara, and look at her ring, was a great touch. So very ATWT.

I was really impressed with the girl who played Betsy (was this still Suzanne Davidson?) when she learned her teacher Mr. Hollister had died. Tears seemed to come to her eyes almost immediately, and naturally. I can see why fans were fond of her. The other part of this scene which I noticed was just how ambiguous the relationship was between Bob and Kim even though they were just friends at that time. Their reactions to each other seemed a little more than just friends.

Was Mr. Hollister someone viewers ever saw, or did he just show up for like a day to die, or die offcamera? Everyone was acting like they knew him. Is this like Knots Landing with Mr. Lee?

• Members

Roger, I'm curious when we'll get a new Soap Classics DVD? I like to hope that this big wait means that maybe yall will release one of the non-ATWT/GL soaps in a box set--or my dream, a set featuring multiple soaps.

On the subject of ATWT though, I am so in love with that James Stenbeck DVD. I don't know what took me so long to buy it. It's up there with the Carjack DVD where the stars alligned and yall struck gold. Each episode is such a page turner and I can't believe how invested I am in Dee and Annie's storylines because I couldn't stand them in the other episodes I've seen. Now I want to see more of the Stewart's and also wish they'd stuck around lol. The Dobson's seem to have a great take on the show. It seems a bit similar to Y&R in that day as well. I do have a question about Barbara's dreams of the past. Does anybody know what that was about? It kinda confused me as that seems more like something that would happen on Dark Shadows. I couldn't tell where they were going.

• Members

Chris, nothing on the horizon for the other soaps. Hopefully something new with ATWT and GL in the not too distant future. The Stenbeck DVD is probably my favorite of the 10-episode collections. I think it helped that we limited it to the '80s versus choosing 10 episodes over 30 years. I think that helped the Carjack DVD as well having a 13 year span. It makes trying to tell a story in 10 episodes flow better.

• 2 years later...

Archived