ATWT: P&G to release ATWT DVD Collection

dragonflies

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have purchased these DVDs to support soaps on DVD because I think it's important and hopefully will become viable funding stream for other soaps. However, I wish they would release more classic episodes and classic episode compilations. I just have no desire to watch the most recent stuff, but appreciate all of the hard work that has gone into this.

• Members

I haven't started my Farewell DVD for ATWT yet, even though I didn't watch most of that stuff originally. I was a full time viewer then, I just could never bring myself to watch much of the end of the show. It was too difficult to watch. One thing now that I think of it, that would've been nice, is if they had included the deleted scenes from the ATWT finale that were posted on CBS.com.

• Members

I'm for ANYTHING being released from my favorite soap, but personally, I would never buy the most recent release. I hated the way the show ended, and don't want to be reminded how bad it was. I LOVED the first set of 20 that was put out, because it brought back a myriad of different times, diferent storylines and some lavish productions. The episodes featuring Lisa's humiliation by John, and Carly's deception revealed at Hal and Barbara's engagement party were examples of ATWT at its peak.

• Members

I know there are viewers who would be happy to buy newer episodes, broadcast during the show's final, wretched years, but I'll bet that those of us longtime viewers, die hard fans, who long to see the rarer material from decades past, would be just as eager to spend our money on DVD copies of vintage, hard-to-find classic episodes. Personally, I have no interest in anything from TGL or ATWT from the 2000s or even most of the 1990s or 80s (unless Douglas Marland was involved). I want stuff from these soaps, and AW, TEON, etc., from the 1970s particularly, and also from the 60s and 50s, when the writing was excellent and the shows' core values were intact.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I have to say the first episode of the James DVD (February 1980) was kind of dreadful. What a frustrating time for the show this must have been.

Why would James Stenbeck ever get on a bus? Why was Barbara on a bus in the first place? It just pointed out the obvious when James announced they were getting off in Atlanta and a helicopter was waiting for them. After all, there were planes in 1980... And, really, she fell asleep on the bus and woke up the next morning to find that her long-lost love had boarded and sat down next to her (I'll give kudos if the show already planned for James to be an evil bastard and this was supposed to be stalking, not high romance)? But viewers were at least supposed to be momentarily moved by this turn of events. All I kept thinking was what about morning breath, et al?

I also have to say that I strongly object to the stock villain in the flashback, who happened to be Swedish, trying to trick Barbara into having an abortion. As I understand it, Sweden - which has long been ahead of the U.S. in terms of health care - was a safe haven for some American women who needed access to safe abortions in the pre-Roe v Wade era. That sequence was just offensive, IMO, and exemplary of how out of touch soaps became.

Well, if nothing else, this episode makes me understand why Doug Marland decided to make Barbara a bitch. In those scenes, she basically was anyway, but it seemed like she was supposed to be a long-suffering heroine?

And Dee moping around in her bathrobe - and then her raincoat - just made the episode all the more dreary. Ellen did look about 10 years younger in this episode than she was made to look in Tom and Margo's wedding episode 3 years later on the first DVD release, though.

The high point of the episode (other than a young Anthony Herrera in a speedo, whom I always respected immensely but I never quite realized was so hot) was Lisa putting her two cents in with Don about Joyce. I never realized he was still around in the '80s.

• Members

Yes, thank heavens that Barbara Ryan outwitted those evil Swedes who were trying to force an abortion upon her. To think what might have been, had she been weak.

Clearly, that message resonated with the (predominantly female) audience at the time, also.

Archived