AMC: Tuesday, August 30, 2011

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Debbi Morgan owns everything wub.pngwub.png . I think I might have to hit up Y&R occasionally to see her, She's just a rock star, man! Darnell was fine but nothing like Debbi was.

If Zach and Kendall would stop having the same damn conversation over and over I might tolerate Zendall part 27, but obviously that won't be happening.

• Members

I have found Darnell completely underwhelming both days but maybe I am so used to scenery chewing I can't appreciate a bit more subtlety from him. But I think someone pointed out his scenes at the gravesite originally were actually very good and not as good as Debbie today but closer to par IMO.

• Members

I am too young to remember Darnell's initial run on AMC in the 1980's beyond short clips, but the general consensus seemed to be that he was one of the greatest soap actors in the 1980's and definitely the best African-American at that time. Since he came back in 2008 though I just don't see that "powerhouse" reputation of his on screen. I wouldn't label him as lazy or phoning it in, he just seems to be all over the map. He has had some strong moments, he just is not what I would call a consistently good actor. He's very hammy. Debbi Morgan clearly has not lost it... she's still one of he greatest actresses working in daytime today.

• Members

I'm one of Darnell's biggest fans and I actually was around during the 80s. That said...1.) A lot of what you've heard is nostalgia. Everything looks better in the rear view. 2.) The 80s "style" of acting even on soaps was a little more affected. Watch any nighttime soap and you'll see what I mean. and 3.) Being one of the best African-American actors? How big a field do you think that was? LOL!

I love the guy but I completely see why others don't. You're right when you say he's uneven. It doesn't bother me as much as some because often his mugging reflects my own sarcasm toward the material so he's often expressing what's going on in my own head. I don't get that very often.

• Members

LOL, that's why I didn't say one of, I said THE best ;), because in my mind I couldn't really think of any other front burner African-American males at that time.

I guess since you were around for the 1980's you can appreciate his style more, and I do realize the 1980's style, ESPECIALLY on AMC was much more campy.

Archived