GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember Emma Samms later said on social media that it wasn't Ron's fault that initially it was acknowledged in the script that Holly knew Bill in another lifetime. But since she or Tony didn't remember they had taken it out instead. Though someone should've went on YT or into the archives to say otherwise. 

Edited by Forever8

• Members

So Tony/Emma took it out?  That seems like that might be covering for Ron.  I don't doubt they said that, but Tony, at least, was practically obsessed with Bill.  I don't think it's likely he'd forget or cut a piece of dialogue that was innocuous even if Holly/Billy never met.    Let's say they never met onscreen or Tony/Emma forgot.  With all Holly's offscreen activities it was completely possible they interacted offscreen.   It reeks of actors taking a fall for a dialogue mistake to me.  It's quite possible it's not Ron's fault though and just a breakdown writer.

• Members

Tony, especially on his way out would not take the blame for Ron or his team.  He was quite vocal with how he felt about RC on the way out.

I kind of think it speaks to the utter chaos the show was as it transitioned away from Monty to Riche that they don’t have clear memories of being paired.  Nobody seemed very happy about Monty’s second run.

I have taken his feelings about Bill as his stubborn belief that he knows better than the fans, and if he thinks Bill was successful than it was, no matter what the audience thought.  This was a man that back then would have played Luke again without issue but they couldn’t get Genie to play ball a year earlier than when she finally agreed to return, while he was Bill.

Who though?  Was he that fond of Korte?  This is someone that had no issue cutting lines when people like Mulcahey were writing scripts.  I doubt he cared all that much for Ron’s pretty generic script writers.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I can't see him covering for any writer. Maybe he was just so worn out after his recent medical troubles of the time and the drudgery of his final storyline that he was too checked out to care. But during Bill's run and not long after, Tony could quote every permutation of his story, life, romances and mindset chapter and verse in multiple interviews.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I honestly am just speculating at this point.  I have no idea who Tony would cover for.  I just don't find Tony to be someone to forget a character or an arc he played for several months.  He has very specific ideas about Luke/Bill (whether right or wrong).  Maybe he just wanted to erase Bill/Holly and Emma didn't remember and Tony was like 'oops I forgot'?  Or he genuinely did forget, but he is someone who would tank a scene or story just because he didn't get his way.  Again Monty to Riche was a crazy period, so I won't rule anything out and I don't expect actors to remember everything fans do.  Tony just strikes me as a little more savvy than that. 

Or this.  Which also seems like a great possibility. 

• Members

Me too. Which makes me wonder if he ultimately reconsidered the Bill/Holly thing and was happy to strike it from the show's memory. I can't recall specific quotes on Bill and Holly, I'd have to look it up, assuming the site with those clippings from the time is still up.

• Members

I assume that by the time it got around to Bill/Holly the writing was on the wall that Emma was going to leave when her contract expired and Bill wasn't long for the world.   I would have to look it all up as well, but was it known Genie would be back by then?  It's clear Holly's story was dead ended by Robert/Anna leaving, so maybe at the end of the day the ideal situation was to have Holly/Bill leave together, but it just didn't catch the audience's attention and it was better to just wash their hands of all of it.  When bringing Bill or the idea of Bill back it made no sense to negate such a small thing like Bill/Holly, but maybe it was Tony's left over resentment of the whole character and arc.  I bet Tony was surprised people even remembered or noticed that line.

• Members

I thought Bill and Holly was a big deal for the show in at least a portion of '92 - I seem to remember seeing them hot and heavy and even getting promos in eps from that spring or summer. I don't think they aimed to can Bill til sometime in late '92 or early '93, but I may be way off. I don't think losing either character was a factor when they started it, I think the newly arrived Riche was just throwing anything they could in the mix to see what might catch heat (Bill/Holly, Scott/Dominique, Jason?/Karen/Jagger, A.J. and Nikki, whatever).

There was no good reason to bring Holly back at the time period IMO but I'm glad she didn't stay dead.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Based on the summaries, Bill and Holly were indeed a big deal. A slowburning one. Their first genuine date wasn't until Sept. 29, 1992 and their first time having sex wasn't until Nov. 5. And not until after they each had an AIDS test. I'm not exactly sure why, other than to remind people about the importance of safe sex. The bottom began to fall out for the couple in May 1993, when it was confirmed that Victoria was alive.

Throughout 1993, Bill's relationships with Sly and Jenny were eroding and after Holly and Victoria left (again, in the course of one week at the end of July), the character was on borrowed time. Bill left town for a month, then came back for his last two-and-half-months (September-November '93).

Oh, sorry, forgot to make a point -- I think they were still fairly invested in Bill up until spring '93.

Edited by Franko

• Members

I remember Jagger/Karen/Jason much more vividly than the others (probably because of my age), but it would make sense that Riche would try everything and Emma/Tony were pretty big stars.  I think as someone with no real context of who these actors/characters were (this is about when I started watching) it wasn't very memorable or exciting and ends up just being a footnote in both actors history, so I would have to seek it out again to see if it was any good.

Thanks!  I guess my question would be was it a big deal really for the show or was it a big deal in write ups/summaries for the show because of who they were?  Not asking you specifically, but anyone who watched daily and can remember.  My memory is vague and skewed because Julia/Bill pop up more in the videos I rewatch so I thought that was the bigger Bill romance.