GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Agreed! the Qs were really lumped all together as one bunch in the 2000s!

I loved seeing Alan and Monica as the lead of their own stories in the 70s-90s. Alan and Monica's best years were their most vicious and toxic: (79-83). The  Rick Weber and Susan Moore storylines. The 90s added more humanism and emotional weight to their characters, rather than just the bickering war of the roses. In the 90s we got to see scenes like Alan's emotional reaction to Edward in the hospital and Monica's breast cancer. 

Speaking of the early 2000s and Rick Weber, it's crazy how long the ramifications of his murder lasted. It was still affecting story as late as 2008.  I think I recall Alan and Lulu mentioning it during the 2007 hostage crisis.

Edited by ironlion

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

At the time I liked that when Laura was slipping back into her catatonic state that she “remembered” that she did not kill Rick.  It gave Lulu a story tied to Laura. I was hoping it would lead to Laura actually returning back then but that didn’t happen. Scotty being the killer was just as unfortunate as the whole storyline ended up being.

Ned did have more to do than Mac or Tony, but still felt cast aside to me at a certain point.  And I forgot about Skye/Rae and Alan.  But again, what should have been centered on him even a little felt more centered on Skye.  A way to bring her on the show and then not fully explore Alan’s side of things.  I actually liked her as a Q though.

The last I can recall for Tony being involved in with any impact- the horrible endgame storyline working with Helena, and then his death scenes with Lucas coming out.  It is a miracle JFP survived that storyline as EP, it was a disaster on every level.

• Members

Yeah, Ned definitely was cast aside eventually, but it's hard for me to say if it was because JFP/Guza disliked him or if too many of his stories tanked and they gave up.

The Alan/Rae/Skye story was centered on Skye (and Rae) especially with those Linda Dano traipsing all through the ABC daytime lineup looking for her kid and kid's dad.  I have never thought Skye was a great fit for GH, but I did like her as a Q and it shouldn't have been undone just so she could date Ned.   I always thought Skye worked better with AJ, Alan, Edward, etc than any of her love interests.  

I totally forgot Tony being involved in the Helena endgame stuff.  That was very random.

• Members

Sarah lasted almost two years as Claudia. The writers didn't change, though Guza was on strike IIRC when Claudia first appeared and JFP crafted a lot of early material herself. I don't believe she was hired against Guza's will though (unlike JFP's attempt to craft frontburner solo story for Rick Hearst while he was away).

Technically Claire Labine helped plan and mold the concept of Carly and may or may not have had her name on some of her most early episodes, I'm not sure, but she was gone before the character began airing and every writer who was part of both those teams (ValJean, Harris, Mulcahey) has gone to great pains to say that Guza was ultimately the main driver of creating that character.

Madison on DAYS also lasted almost a year, along with her writers so no, it wasn't that brief.

Edited by Vee