GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She was back maybe a month or two later as Tony prepared to exit. Laura knew Lucky was in danger and had come to warn Luke. They found Ethan also in trouble along the way. The story was dreadful, as was Tony having spent years at that point vetoing a reunion with Laura. RC got a little of his own back about that, I think, by having Luke leave Laura a mysterious letter when he left town - in typical GH form, to this day I don't think we know what it said.

I was also keen to see them. But like you, I had wanted Sly to come back long before. I'd once wanted him to be a Cassadine mole in the early 2000s, embittered that the Spencers had 'forgotten' him lol, but that was back when he was still very young and I don't think that would make sense today. It would be nice to just see him.

• Members

Is it really any worse than Lucky or Stone or Jagger?   Everyone had dumb nicknames in the 90's.

Do people really still write letters?  Brenda had an unread letter to Sonny.  Luke has an unread letter to Laura.  Read your mail people!  

It always seemed strange they never brought Sly back.  The kid that played him was decent too.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

I loved Karen.  That was my first soap teen scene when I was a teen and I loved all those characters.  In hindsight, Karen could be very annoying.  I still think it is a shame they killed her on PC.  I liked that ultimately she and Brenda were no longer rivals.  They may not have been best friends, but a lot of growth happened, especially when Brenda figured out that Karen had been molested.  I give Vanessa a lot of credit for playing into more vulnerability than just going vixen which is where the show tried to put her back then.

• Members

Part of Tony’s anti Luke stance when Bill was created was because back then he didn’t want to do Luke unless Genie was Laura.  And she refused to return for at least a year after ABC terminated her contract on AMC, and told her they would prefer she return to GH as Laura.

I remember Bill being a ridiculous failure because of all the work they did to try to make him work.  Every struggle was right there on screen.  I didn’t even hate the final version, the dark, selfish character he was by the time they killed him off.  It was just a long winding way to get there and it wasn’t good television.

I think Bill being Fluke not only made more sense in the story they were telling, but also would have been more fun overall.

TG can be incredibly annoying, but I loved the shade he threw on his way out the door.  I remember him saying how stupid Ron’s Frank Smith story was.  He even said something like Frank was old even back in the 70’s, him being alive at that point was beyond ridiculous.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Sly went through a good amount of angst in a nearly three-year period. Bill and Nancy's divorce, the family all uprooting to Port Charles, grandpa Fred dying, his mother Nancy dying (at the hands of beloved housekeeper Finian), Bill's relationships with Julia, Holly and Victoria, Scotty being a better father than Bill was, Bill leaving him with Jenny and Paul for increasingly longer stretches and Bill finally dying. I'm just saying, soap "bad boys" have been built on far less.

Also, if Claire Labine hadn't already done the rich girl/poor boy thing with the dogs, Annabelle and Foster, she could have easily done it with Emily and Sly.

• Members

I think it was a huge mistake to kill Karen off.  She would still be a viable character today.  I can see the appeal of her and Jagger as well.  She was just whiny to me lol. I did like when her and Brenda became friends.  Karen was pretty forgiving because Brenda did some crappy things to her.

That was my exact thought.  Sly could have filled the Zander role.

• Members

I don't have any desire to see Jenny Eckert again, but I do think both Julia and Sly could add something to the show and still be viable these days. Like you said, there's the business angle, along with everything involving Sonny and Brenda (even though she's offscreen). Besides those two, she has relationships with Ned and Scott. I think last we heard she was friends with or friendly with Lucy. She knows Mac, Felicia, and I think Anna and Robert. There's some stuff they could work with. Like Vee mentioned, she always fit right in when she popped in during the Guza days so it's a shame they never circled back to her.

Sly could easily be filling any of these nobody guy roles they have on the show- Roger Howarth's character, Chase, Brando, etc. I think he'd be a better love interest for Liz and Maxie than the ones they have too.

For whatever reason, GH has a lot of characters that are basically gold mines with family ties or connections just sitting offscreen. There's heaps of untapped potential in a lot of those characters but they'd rather focus on Willow, Sasha, Brando, Roger Howarth's latest role, Harmony, whoever. It's baffling.

• Members

It goes deeper than that with Genie, I believe; that part is an old story that was known even in the '90s. Genie's behavior later was not exactly blameless. But I think mostly it's about him and his resentment of Luke and Luke and Laura.

I still can't tell Willow or Sasha apart. I don't know who Brando or Harmony are at all and I don't think Chase is particularly interesting. People act like I'm crazy.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'd rid of all of them in a heartbeat if I was in charge. Willow and Sasha are interchangeable from what I could tell. There's got to be some 20 or 30 something year old girl out there in GH history they could bring on to date Michael that's not one of these two duds. Chase is fine I guess but there's no reason for him to be getting so much story while Lucky and Dillon are MIA.