• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It was founded by Lucy in late 1991.

November 25, 1991 - Scotty and Lucy are eating at Kelly's.  Lucy is talking about making perfume.  Scott is reading the financial pages.  Lucy wants to start making perfume and start a business. Lucy is still trying to convince Scott to get involved in the perfume business and she needs him to front the money.  Lucy says they should get married.  Scott is like he doesn't want to get married to Lucy now.  Lucy says she thought they had a lot going for each other.  She says she feels like he is throwing her away like an old shoe.

Scott ended up getting involved in Deception, first "in spirit," then genuinely. Julia was hired by Lucy in March as the PR woman. Dominique, rather than Lucy, became the product's first model.

March 26, 1992 -- Scott and Lucy argue about her taking off with someone she doesn't even know (Greg Bennett) and her giving up on Deception. Lucy wants Scott to buy her out. 

March 27, 1992 -- Scott offers Lucy a finders fee for Deception but other than that she gets nothing, as that was their agreement.

March 30, 1992 -- Julia offers Scott financial backing to get Deception into production.

Deception was officially first sold in May 1992. Soon after, plans were in works to have the Deception Spa (designed by Jenny) at the Port Charles Hotel.

September 30, 1992 -- Scott tells Julia that he is resigning from the day to day activities of Deception to concentrate on law.

Jan. 4, 1993 -- Lucy wants Julia to let back into Deception. Julia offers her the Deception Spa manager position. (The spa opened that week.)

May 20, 1993 -- Dominique's will is read. Lucy is given 10% ownership of Deception.

June/July 1993 -- Lucy decides Brenda should be the new Deception model and Julia eventually agrees to it. Also that summer, Katherine comes on board (she was scamming Scott at the time).

Sept. 3, 1993 -- Just as she is about to leave, Julia offers Katherine the director of public relations job at Deception.

Jan. 10, 1994 -- Brenda tells Lucy that she would love to get involved in the business side of Deception.

April 21, 1994 -- Lucy wants Damian's help to get Deception back. She wants him to buy it for her.

April 28, 1994 -- Damian tells Katherine that he wants ELQ to buy Deception. Katherine is game to help him convince the Qs.

May 4, 1994 -- Edward sweet-talks Lee into getting Scott’s share of Deception.

May 5, 1994 -- Damian wants Ned to be the one that tells Lucy that ELQ bought Deception. Ned drops the bombshell on Lucy about Deception

May 10, 1994 -- Brenda learns ELQ bought Deception (and) rips into Ned for stealing her birthright (entitled much, Brenda?).

July 12, 1994 -- Lucy is booted out as the head of Deception, but Katherine tells her she can remain with the company reporting to her of course.

(During this time, Lucy and Damian reprised their seduction bet, the one that caused so much trouble for Tony and Bobbie. This time around, the idea was for Lucy to seduce Luke. If she succeeded, she'd get Deception back.)

Sept. 21/22, 1994 -- Lucy gets Edward to reinstate her as the head of Deception. Lucy gives Katherine the heave ho out of Deception. Brenda celebrates with Lucy about Katherine being out of Deception.

I'm sure this is more than any of you all care about, but it is kind of a fun little narrative.

Tee hee. I literally just posted the gist of "Deception, the early years." I can't remember what Lucy's motivation was for calling it that (similar to "Obsession"?), but Scott got a good quip in. "Well, who knows more about deception than you?"

Edited by Franko

• Members

Brenda is never entitled. She deserves it all

Please register in order to view this content

It still seems convoluted even with your AWESOME breakdown.  Thank you!

I loved when Katherine was in charge and only weirdly wanted blonde models and then Lucy went off to Jax cosmetics..

• Members

So, the idea of having a Deception spa (wait, a spa named "Deception"??) was there even in '92.  Interesting.

I've always felt like GH was only partially committed to Deception (Cosmetics/Spa) being a real presence on the show.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Idk I felt like Lucy and Brenda and Katherine talked about it ad nauseum-at least the cosmetics side.   The "Face of Deception" thing was pretty genius.  Supermodel Brenda Barrett really wanted that assignment.  I think they did okay with it.  It tied into the Katherine/Ned stuff and then into Joe Scully, but I never knew there was a spa.  That was clearly dropped.

The revivals of Deception have lacked.  Not just because any model would pale in comparison to Brenda (Sasha? no), but because they start it then stop it.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

I'm now wondering how soon the show knew that Lynn Herring was leaving in 1992. They could have easily not pursued Deception past Lucy's initial interest. On the other hand, like so many characters at the time*, Scott, Julia and Dominique needed a storyline, so there we have it.

*Seriously. While not all of Wendy Riche's new ideas for 1992 worked, I give her credit for trying so many rehauls at once.

• Members

Deception could still be a bigger part of the show than it is. I think I was one of the only fans of bringing Laura into it about 20 years ago, but that time has passed.

Until today I had no idea Lucy left the show with Seinfeld's John O'Hurley (Greg Bennett). I know nothing about the character, though I knew Lucy left briefly at that time while Lynn did DAYS (I think). Reminds me of when JFP fobbed Dorian off of OLTL with "Drake Faraday" played by Leigh McCloskey.

• Members

You're welcome! I love Brenda too, I just was a little confused how she could claim Lucy's company was something she could inherit. Unless ... of course, Brenda and Julia are the long-lost Coe/Shore/Moss/Simpson cousins!

Correct. Lucy was gone for just over seven months, the time it took for Lisanne Gardner to be introduced, entangled in the Alamain mess and then killed off.

• Members

Scott and Dom had a lot of story, no?  And Julia was doing stuff as well.  LH leaving could have played into though.

I mean, there isn't really a lot of reason for Laura to be involved.  I am not sold she gives a [!@#$%^&*] about cosmetics.

Meh?  I just chalk it up to Brenda being Brenda in the 90's and thinks she deserves everything. I want to say Julia was part of Deception for awhile after she left town so Brenda might not be totally wrong?  Assuming Julia dies and leaves it to her.   And judging by her post-Deception modeling career she was a find for deception at low rates as she said multiple times.

• Members

Also, my summary makes it sound like Julia left town in September 1993. It was actually two months later (she went to London to keep an eye on Barrett Industries). By that time, Julia had largely moved on from the Deception storyline and was in a triangle with Ned and A.J. while the trio also dealt with running the Port Charles Hotel. Because Ned needed something between Jenny and Lois.

Edited by Franko

• Members

Honestly, Julia leaving was a clusterf*ck.  She was just going to move away in the middle of things happening for her and Brenda becoming a legit thing on the show?  I will always think firing CC was a mistake.

I don't think Brenda needed more THINGS in the 90's but a steady family member would not have hurt.  She was just abandoned to live at the Q's forever.

Edited by carolineg