GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Unless I'm wrong, Scott was off canvas by the time that Heather came back. By the time Scott returned, Jason (and Franco) was born. Don't get me wrong, I'm not automatically opposed to a Scott and Heather child, but to try and have it have happened in that time frame doesn't work for me.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Well, I think you can easily fudge the exact year. If they said 1980/1981 onscreen then they were being stupid, because yes, Scott didn't get back to town til Luke and Laura's wedding, pretty late in the year. I just assumed it was anywhere between '81 and '83.

• Members

According to Wikipedia, so grains of salt ... "Back when Laura had requested a divorce from Scott, he was consumed with anger and grief, and had gotten intoxicated at Kelly's one night. Heather, who was also drunk, had found him there, and that is when Franco was conceived."

• Members

It was, yes. For this to work (and that's a big "for"), Scott would have to have been living incognito in Port Charles (not outside the realm of possibility) at the time he hooked up with Heather. Personally, I'd prefer if Franco (who I forgot *isn't* Jason's twin, so my parentage objection is now voided) was conceived in 1983 and born in 1984.

• Members

I'm going to throw a new wrinkle into this conversation. What if a retcon takes place during a SORAS interim? Let's say you have a character who goes from ages 8-18 in a one-year span, but then 20 years down the line, it comes out that something significant happened when they were 13. Where do we stand on that one?

• Members

Like a lot of these types of things, it depends on how good they tell the story and the characters involved.

I could believe something like let’s say Victoria or Nick Newman having a long lost friend from boarding school back in the 90’s when they were all young, and that leading to story when they reappear, maybe even some mild secrets of misspent youth while the new character is actually here for revenge for some perceived slight.  I am less likely to believe either one of them killed someone while offscreen or had a baby.  However, I would totally believe that AJ could have gotten someone pregnant on GH while at boarding school, but he’s dead so no point now.  It’s all in how well does it fit them when we met them as SORASed characters and what they do with the opening.

• Members

You'll notice, though, that in the examples that @titan1978 gave, the characters involved (Y&R's Nick and Victoria, GH's AJ) were away at boarding school and not living at home.  I think that's the key: if it happened during those SORAS'ed years when a character is (said to have been) out of town, then you might have leeway.  But, if the show in question is operating under the assumption that that character has spent his/her entire childhood IN town, being raised by his/her parents or guardians, then it gets sticky.

One good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) example would be GL's Ben Reade, who was revealed to have been molested while attending school outside Springfield.  Unfortunately, the revelation came during the climax of the Garden of Eden storyline, as a means of explaining why Ben would have murdered all those prostitutes.  Now, if GL had been committed to telling a RESPONSIBLE story about the long-term effects that being molested could have on someone like Ben Reade WITHOUT the nasty serial killer angle, then I probably wouldn't have objected (or objected as strongly), because, in that case, it's established that the molestation had occurred during a period when Ben was away from SF.  But, if you'd told me it had happened while he was still IN SF, featured regularly, or that (God forbid) Fletcher was the one who molested him...?  Well, now you've got a problem, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I saw.

Please register in order to view this content

Heck, Spencer is a recent addition to that list. His return continues to be bearing fruit. In his absence from the screen, suspicion of the stalker was not on him (except for eagle viewers here so I know I was not the only one who thought him outside of Ryan). And once he returned, we have history with him in contact in Ryan off screen, his relationship with Esme who continue to be a menace, and his presence recharging the teen set since Trina did not know the history while Joss and Cameron did, allowing for a light story before they dived in the stalker story more. And who knows what other hidden history that might come up (like Esme's fascination with Ryan off screen aka hidden history).

All of which (so far) seem plausible. 

Edited by Taoboi