GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Isn't he though? I mean, JJ annoyed me in his second go-around but at the same time ... you have JJ and Vanessa Marcil out there willing and able (but who knows how long they'd even want to stay so I kinda get the hesitation to reach out) but Frank's so laser focused on Roger Howarth. It's truly bizarre. 

Frank is also petty AF and I'm so over it.

• Members

I can't stand Valentini either, but I wonder how much of this is down to very high-priced actors who will only stay a year or two compared to high-priced (but maybe not quite as much) actors who are willing to stay long-term. 

• Members

I can see that for sure, which is why I wondered if their reluctance to stick around for more than a year is one reason he might not bother. Probably, like everything, numerous factors at play. Frank being petty, cheap, etc. And the actors who have seemed unwilling to stay long-term, I could see the reluctance to reach out.

• Members

If JJ wanted a contract for a year, and obviously fans wish Lucky was on the canvas, then do it.  Create an arc that shows him connecting with his family, keeping the character viable (and not a deadbeat dad ) and send him off to work on a case.  Leave the door open for another return.  God be forbidding RoHo loses ten minutes of smirk time I mean air time a week.

• Members

VM is bigger than Frank and his interests, has a healthy ego and doesn't need the show, so he's intimidated by her and the fact that he can't control her. That was clear given her commentary in 2013. Same with Jonathan. I assume that's why he hasn't bothered with either of them. Look how many rounds he went with Genie before grudgingly giving her a contract.

Frank's usual strategy for dealing with difficult people is to ice them out, give them happy talk, promise them big story coming and then go dark and cut them loose. Or, offer them recurring (like he tried to do with Genie and Stephen Nichols) and say take it or leave it. He can't do that with VM or JJ. Anyone he can't keep under his thumb or control the terms of their engagement he doesn't want around, or tries to marginalize.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I think that would have worked ten years ago, but I'm not sure who is left to connect to - Laura in the rare times she's there...or pointless Lulu? I guess there's Liz and Jake. 

I feel like the time of the Spencers has passed. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

It's also, inescapably, the fact that Vanessa and Jonathan are still major GH stars with primetime success but whose footprints have never really vanished from the show. They do not need the show but are still very beloved by the audience. If they returned on contract it would fundamentally destabilize the show Frank has built now which caters to his OLTL alumni stars Howarth and Easton as well as a handful of young and (in the words of Soapdish) "peppy and cheap" white kids. What would become of Drs. Austin Gatlin-Holt and Hamilton Finn, the anonymous and indistinguishable Willow/Sasha duo, James Patrick Stuart's inexplicable continued starring role as Billy Joel-loving stable boy Valentin or the Starr Manning cosplay hour with Eden McCoy if both Brenda and Lucky return to GH?

• Members

Well, Lucky is Aiden's father and raised Cameron and Jake until he was dropped. He only gets a mention every few years due to Frank's need to keep creating new characters nobody cares about. Lulu is off in a coma, but there's still Nikolas, Laura and Elizabeth to interact with. As everybody keeps saying, there are characters that could have easily been brought back with connections on the canvas. 

Honestly, Lucky should have returned the minute he had learned Elizabeth was involved with the kidnapper of their son.  "I may have been halfway around the world, but the man is a serial killer.... that kidnapped our son!"  A story where he questioned her abilities to make good decisions could have been a story that was actually about Elizabeth, not Franko. 

• Members

They often say Lucky skypes with the kids or whatever. That's about it.

They should've redone a David Hamilton-type suburban mystery with Franco and Liz's kids. Have one of the boys kill him and the others help him cover it up. Instead Franco will be venerated by them for years to come and they've had Hudson West (who should be on contract, BTW) and William Lipton acting their absolute hearts out mourning the serial killer, and I bet no one ever has a serious, honest conversation with Elizabeth about Franco and who he really was ever again.

Edited by Vee