• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

He truly was.  

So anyhow, JY's casting seems to be controversial.   It was a misfire whether or not it was for a 'hunkier, sexier' actor.  Maybe someone in casting really thought he was great?  But is JY's stint as Lucky that damaging for the character?  I think GV's tenure was much worse for Lucky through no fault of GV's.  The minute JJ came back Lucky gained 50 IQ points.  I definitely hated how JY's Lucky treated Liz, but in the scheme of damage to LL2 that came much later.  Is there outrage over the casting of NL as Emily?  She much more beautiful in a traditional sense than AT and has similar limitations.

• Members

I can’t count the number of soap recasts leaning towards a sexier version over the years.  When it ends up working, it’s great.  But I can only think of a few that truly worked for me.  

They did it all the time.  It’s like the first time around for some characters they look for charisma and talent, and then when they leave they look for pretty first, and sometimes get lucky with talent.  Especially when they were younger characters being recast.

GH was almost all misery all the time by the time JJ returned.  Any sense of balance had pretty much gone away, and it was bleak even for Guza.

• Members

Sarah Felder getting canned as Siobhan for not being more conventionally attractive on Ryan’s Hope is the primary example of old.

Emily also seemed so basic and dumbed-down with NL in the role. All of her rough edges had been sanded off. She had no connection to the thoughtful young woman we’d known for years. It was sad to see Labine’s vision for that character undermined in that way.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

The first one I thought of, yes.

And I def agree about how bland they made Emily with Natalia. Such a waste, especially of a triangle that on paper (Nikolas/Emily/Zander) was dynamite given the torch she had carried for Nik since adolescence.

• Members

She chose to leave when her contract expired.  It was rumored that JFP and her did not get along and JFP wouldn't give her time off for a project.

They toyed with Nik/Emily a little under AT.  I remember her kissing him, but it wasn't reciprocated. 

• Members

I was actually surprised/not surprised when I read that.   Not surprised that JFP was awful to her, but AT landed quite a few roles right after GH so I assumed she just knew it was time to leave.  It would be interesting to see the trajectory of the Emily character if she had stayed.  I agree there would have probably been a Nik/Zander/Emily triangle, but CB and AT were so good together I doubt Nik would have won.   I definitely don't see AT hanging out a Windemere as a pretty, pretty princess, but I could see her as a (more believable) doctor.  I think AT would have done great with the cancer stories.  

Could Emily not have kids?  It's strange she never had a pregnancy or child with Nik.

• Members

Jeff Branson was meh as Ronan and doesn't scream Lucky to me at all.

Jon who?   Oh the easily forgotten about Mike Kasnoff. Nah.  

You need an actor with charisma and heart for Lucky.  He's supposed to be the "best" parts of Luke and Laura.  That's what got lost with JY. JJ embodied the soul of who Lucky was supposed to be.  The horrible writing and that gawdawful Siobhan character and ALL the crying were lousy, and I'm sure that and the call of prime time were the top reasons he bolted. If ever a new Lucky is cast (and it won't be with #firefrank in charge) I'd love an arrival with his fiancee Brenda Barrett in tow.  Of course it's just a cover story for Brenda to go for Sonny and Lucky to win back his first love, and reconnect with his kids, his mother and family.