GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

And you know, she started out okay.  Her and AJ were pretty good.  She took up so much airtime for those briefs years a 'wham!' killed off like it was nothing lol.   Such an odd character and pairing for Guza/Frons to pick a hill to die on.  I think she probably had the least amount of chemistry with SBu out of all his love interests.

• Members

lol same. I liked Courtney with AJ and of course the writing was on the wall. AJ was never given a fair shot as a character under Guza. I know it was easy with 'AJ is a drunken loser' (it was way more than that) but they really took it way too far.

• Members

I am in that group too. In hindsight the supreme irritation I felt towards her was mostly directed at how she was written and how overplayed she was. Add to this things like the Emmy - honestly I still think this is one of the most embarrassing daytime Emmy wins of the past two decades - and I resented her. It was really a time where the writing for "pets" was really skewed and I think our memories associate her with that era (and the horrifying Sonny pairing) more than she herself had earned.
But truth is: she was fine and relatively innocuous. I hate "heroines" on soaps and that's how they were playing her so I would have never warmed to her but she, as an actress, was doing fine. Not Emmy-worthy at all but fine enough that she probably doesn't deserve the collective groaning at her name she gets since. 

• Members

It was so bad. I'll never forget the music, budget schlock, etc. I once compared the bedroom pillow fight between Geary and RKK to a battle to the death with Elaine Stritch, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure Guza hated Courtney. Frons and Pratt were the ones who pushed her and once Frons lost interest, Guza wasted her without hesitation.

People can have varying opinions on the performers or writing, but I don't think Amber was ever unpopular as Emily, and she was driven off the show early by JFP. And however bad Natalia could get or the writing for her stories, she wasn't a horrible actress and it was a huge mistake killing Emily.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I always loved Stefan- both with Laura and without. It was a huge mistake to lose him I think. Katherine was another story. Like Vee said, I don’t think she ever worked past the original story with Scott and Lucy. She was amusing with the Quartermaines and when she was in the middle of the Ned and Lois, but it was a mistake I think to move her away from that side of the canvas. I think worked best as a foil for the Quartermaines or when she would aggravate Lucy, Felicia, Mac, and characters like that. If they hadn’t been so insistent on her and Stefan, I think they maybe could have used her on Port Charles, especially in the early years. She would have been good there as a thorn in Lucy’s side while trying to get back in Scott’s good graces but alas. It was completely insulting though that Frank Valentini thought he could have Stefan on recurring and just use him once a month. While that works for people like Scott and Bobbie, I don’t think that you can use Stefan like that. 

With the Hardy discussion, GH more than any other show has so many good characters just languishing offscreen. They just see so many of these very viable characters as either radioactive, only allowed onscreen when someone dies, or just best offscreen. They could make people like Sarah, Tommy, Dillon, Tom, etc work but they chose not to. It’s completely baffling. Instead we get Willow, Dev, and an invented character for Roger Howarth. 

Also, I have started a GH episode vault. I’ll still post the 80s to 2000s episodes on YouTube, but I’m  also going to also upload them to this vault, along with pre-80s stuff I don’t really feel like sharing on YouTube. I have all the full years of GH from the mid-80s to mid-2000s and they’ll all go here and to YouTube. The vault will also have the other ABC soaps, AW, Passions, and the UK and Australian soaps. If anybody wants to contribute, just let me know. I’ll post the link to the vault 
today or tomorrow

Hands down one of GH's worst stories. I mean really with all that. 

• Members

Oh miles worse.  Because that was only Felicia centric.  This was the culmination of years of story, and involved Luke, Laura, Bobbie, Scotty, Roy, Nikolas, Gia, Lucky, Helena, Alexis, Stefan, Stavros, a secret lab under GH, the Ice Princess, and for some reason Jax was there.  And it was awful on so many levels, with laughable production and incredibly awful background music, especially during the fight scenes.  And the level of bad is written across almost all the key actor’s faces, especially Tony and Genie.  

This is just the ending of the story, which originally involved blowing up the hospital so JFP could redo the sets, except that real world events caused them to make several changes.

Tony and his writing partner had developed a story document called Endgame with the Cassadines, and ABC bought it and ABC, McTavish and JFP changed it so much he started telling everyone in interviews that this wasn’t his story and it was awful.