August 8-12, 2011

Toups

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And I am not giving the show enough credit. I am loving the performances of everyone involved. There have been some great character driven -moments- in a plot driven storyline. The show has never reminded me more of late 80's OLTL than right now. Due to the strength of the cast, it makes the most insane storyline watchable.

• Members

Always impressed when the ratings are important and are not cause its still not changing anything and seems more of a hollow victory-and I still think the new shows will produce equal numbers.. I am actually surprised of the jump considering how bad I thought last week was but I must be watching a different oltl.

• Members

Not to rain on anyone's parade because I do think OLTL is firing on all cylindars right now and I am enjoying it very much. But what struck me about these numbers is not so much how great OLTL is doing, but how bad all the other soaps are performing (even though I don't watch anything else). It's disturbing and not a good sign for the survival of the others.

Just for reference I went back and looked at the last week of December (probably not a good comparison, and it was a short week because of the holiday).

http://boards.soapoperanetwork.com/topic/38728-december-27-31-2010/

For the week OLTL had a 2.0 and averaged 2,845,000 total households. Highest viewed day of the week was Monday with 2,982,000. That put them in fourth place at the time.

• Members

Looking at women 18-34, it was weird seeing Y&R in 3rd place, behind GH and OLTL tied for first. I'm so used to these things just starting out with Y&R.

ITA with all the posts about OLTL. The two Todds story is beyond stupid but I have watched every minute of it. The show is far from ground-breaking but it's damn entertaining.

• Members

OMG! OMG! OMG! A 2.1 are you serious? WOW!!!!!

A 2.2 on TUESDAY! WOW!

I am marking out right now obviously but let me analyze each of these soap ratings right now. LOL!

B&B

Monday: 2.1/3,070,000

Tuesday: 2.3/3,187,000

Friday: 2.2/3,080,000

Since the usual focus is on OLTL every week and B&B gets ignored I'm going to start with B&B b/c although OLTL has been getting close to them their making it hard on OLTL to actually catch them. This reminds me of DAYS back in 2010 when they were on a hot streak but they only got in second place for one week. B&B has been hot this summer as they've actually improved their ratings behind Y&R's weakest summer to date in terms of ratings. I actually caught B&B a bunch these past couple of weeks and I like what I see as I'm starting to get back into it and this is one of those rare situations where the writing is actually equaling ratings in the short-term instead of the long-term.

OLTL

Monday: 2.0/2,893,000

Tuesday: 2.2/3,031,000

Wednesday: 2.1/2,970,000

Thursday: 2.0/2,766,000

Friday: 2.1/2,782,000

OLTL is an unstoppable machine right now and I was terribly wrong in thinking that it would decline a lot this week and it didn't. This show is continuing to rise and getting its highest ratings in years now. It's been a while since OLTL was actually was the number one soap on ABC but right now its king. OLTL I believe may have saved the soap business, I think the writing is already on the wall that the soaps will be around past 2015. I can't imagine how bad things are about to get over there at ABC Daytime in 2012.

GH

Monday: 1.9/2,652,000

Tuesday: 2.0/2,599,000

Wednesday: 1.9/2,627,000

GH pretty much is what it is right now as it keeps bleeding from OLTL but demo wise the show still remains strong in that area. The positive for GH is that fans are starting to cling back to the show but I think it's gonna take a major overhaul or a Ron C. to turn that ship fully around.

Y&R

Monday: 3.5/4,975,000

Tuesday: 3.4/4,782,000

Wednesday: 3.3/4,425,000

Thursday: 3.3/4,421,000

Friday: 3.0/4,334,000

Y&R started out the week really strong but this summer has been horrible for them ratings wise, lets see how things turn out though as the fall approaches. The show moves a little faster than it used to but its not sticking out enough right now like B&B is doing right now.

DAYS

Monday: 1.7/2,249,000

Tuesday: 1.8/2,488,000

Wednesday: 1.8/2,404,000

Thursday: 1.6/2,331,000

Friday: 1.6/2,276,000

I make it no secret that DAYS is the best soap quality wise week in and week out. I feel like its a hidden gem right now since all of the attention is on the ABC soaps right now. It seems like fans are just going to return at that September 26th relaunch date. DAYS' ratings will be interesting then b/c they have an epic event coming up and there's no more AMC as their competition so I expect a huge rise in viewership right away that week. Back to the way DAYS is right now I'm enjoying this soap right now and don't have a problem with anything and I finally saw a prime time commercial for the show featuring the Hope storyline last night. NBC needs to continue to promote the show in prime time so viewers who may potentially comeback to it knows whats going on.

AMC

Monday: 1.9/2,640,000

Tuesday: 1.9/2,550,000

Wednesday: 1.8/2,535,000

Friday: 1.9/2,600,000

Last but not least is AMC which has been on fire right now. This is the best AMC has been since 2003 right now they've returned to that classic 80s writing. Its sad that it took a major cancellation move to get them to this point. This is great momentum for AMC whenever they find a cable network. I expect AMC to continue to rise from here on out as I can't wait to see how AMC does in its final days on ABC in September.

Overall great week for the soaps as this has been the highest rated summer in years for the soaps. The summer has been the time when they fall but that's not the cast this year. This is going to be a great historic 2011-12 season just get ready for the ride folks.

• Members

J Nwet as Always I love your post and I agree with your most of your points and I didn't even factor in that Day's increase would be bigger due to AMC leaving. I guess it hasn't hit me yet. LOL. But yes I do think Days will steal OLTL's thunder going into fall.

As fas as Y&R. Their number are horrible, and so are their demos. I am hoping this will mean a creative change there soon. This Diane murder mystery is a flop and the numbers reflect that

Hey Toups when you do those comparisons for the ABC shows can you do one for OLTL vs B&B?

Archived