OLTL Discussion for the week of August 15th

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I believed this under RH's Todd and during the first years of TSJ's Todd. But TSJ's acting choices over the last few years have decimated that bond IMHO. He doesn't need unconditional love so much as he demands fealty. He's treated Viki much the same as he's treated Blair without all the name calling. His "What the hell are you doing here" the other day when Viki walked into his home just cemented that for me. That bond with Viki (and to a lesser extent his children and Jessica) was the most humanizing trait Todd had, and these last years all those relationships have fragmented. The destruction of this bond ruined Todd for me more than I realized and I'm so glad Roger has returned and in two days, done more to restore that bond than I believe TSJ ever could.

ETA: Correction. More than TSJ ever would, not could, because I know he is a capable actor but this is how he interpreted the role and Todd's relationship with Viki. That's what makes it his choices that I loathed so vehemently and why I hope his "Todd" is a fraud.

And I don't hate Tea, although I love Blair, but I really do not understand her. I loved how non-plussed Blair was when she admitted she kissed Todd. It was no big deal and Todd knew it was no big deal, he just wanted to know if she was ready to pronounce him real Todd. I could not get over Tea's reaction. Tea knows Todd loves her and only her. She knows Blair is no threat. So why does she really care? And especially why does she care that much? I really think she was upset that RHTodd kissed Blair, but she knew she really couldn't show how distressed she was by the man who is not her husband kissing anyone. She's got no leg to stand on. And she wanted to kiss RHTodd herself and do her own comparison, but then she'd be a cheater and a ho and she'd have to deal with her unbalanced maniac of a spouse. So when Blair gave her the opening, she went on the attack. But it still makes no sense to me. Tea's husband is the man she loves and who's loved her more than she's been loved before. Why does she care?

• Members

We've been calling him Frodd because that's a handy way of nicknaming the guy. It takes less time to type than Faux-Todd. When we have confirmation on his real name I'll use it. In the meantime, please cry more. Also, IA with rhinohide.

• Members

Unfortunately, even when Viki assures him of her love, he inevitably tests it and puts it in jeopardy every time he facks up. That's what I love about Todd, in spite of TPTB's apparent belief that allowing him to evolve will somehow make him less interesting.

Terrific points, TeamEric and rhinohide! :-)

• Members

It's not understandable, b/c no writer at OLTL has understood Tina since S. Michael Schnessel left the show. In fact, part of me doesn't even like to acknowledge much of Tina's actions after 1990. When it comes to everything post-Andrea Evans, I just chalk it up to Tina believing Maria Roberts was right and that she was just no good for "her Cordero."

• Members

This post reminded me of when Viki admitted to Natalie that she would have continued to love Jessica as much as ever even if Tess had succeeded in killing her and Jared. I both loved and hated those scenes but they really made so much sense based on Viki's history with both of her daughters and one size doesn't fit all, and just because she loves them differently doesn't necessarily mean she loves Jessica MORE.

I've never understood the appeal of Tina, but have never really thought about it enough to figure out why I didn't like her. I guess I just knew that if I waited long enough somebody would explain it better than I ever could. Well done.

• Members

I'm not sure if it's all that understandable to Viki that Todd would play a large role in almost killing one daughter and allowing her other daughter to go nuts, leading to a stillbirth and the possible death of this daughter. I don't believe that Viki would just accept this because Todd is damaged. And the show never really had Viki process any of this. They had her angry at him briefly, and then as soon as Viki needed to serve as a Todd/Tea prop, she got over it.

If the Todd/Viki relationship had always been what it is in the last few years - Todd not caring one bit about Viki while Viki enables him at every turn - then I don't think it ever would have been popular in the first place.

As for her relationship with Tina, she didn't even have one during Tina's last return. The show had her disown Tina because the plot called for it, not based on any character dynamics. That's why the scenes annoyed me. It felt like an afterthought. They arranged the story so that Tina and Viki would have as little interaction as possible. The whole thing was a parody, down to the latest Viki screamathon at the Lord crypt.

• Members

I loved those scenes in the crypt. And I don't think they arranged it that way; I think that had to do with Erika's break and ABC insisting on getting rid of Andrea Evans. That being said, yes, Tina was mishandled, though she did have some good scenes with Viki.

• Members

I guess I am just worn out with the whole Victor's Legacy thing. For me it's like when a Quartermaine goes to flagellate at the family crypt. It seems more like a device than anything else, and I think it was undercut by not having Viki actually strengthen her relationships with anyone in her family after this. I'd rather see a move away from the passive Viki of recent years. To have her only avoid passivity when it was time to yell at Tina is what made the scenes offputting for some of us.

I know Erika had her vacation, but they could have pre-taped a few more scenes, just to remind viewers of the relationship. I know they met at the airport but other than that it was nothing until the end. I felt like Tina was deliberately obscured from most of her old relationships for the sake of the Tess plot.

All I really want out of any of this is strong character-based stuff, and family moments, which is what they haven't done with Viki and her family in a long time. That's why, when someone says, "Viki has always favored Joey," I have to go back about 15 years, to when the last time Joey wasn't just written as the family dumbo (aside from that brief BMH run).

Archived