GH: July Discussion Thread

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guza always seems to do this when he's writing a character off. It's lame and lacks creativity, but I don't have the will to really care. I hope GW can make this show more entertaining in the next couple of months. right now, there is so little going on that I care about.

• Members

The show torched Lucky/Liz when the golden boy returned and it was obvious that Guza or Frons or whoever felt Liz was unworthy of him. So after he told her she was only worthwhile when she was raped, he sat around for months until they could find an "adventure" for him. Siobhan was supposed to be the adventure.

• Members

It was classic Guza. I think they assumed enough people hated Liz that this would be all they needed to make Lucky a star again (that and having him essentially abandon his kids, since they weren't related to him biologically). All it did was make me feel sorry for Liz, and I haven't liked her since 1999 or so. It doesn't help that JJ Lucky is just doing what he has always done - yelling and crying. He also looks like a hobo. They could have recast him with Bobcat Goldtwait.

The stuff with Luke is also disgusting. Luke killed a child (I won't say grandson because Luke didn't see him as a grandson). Luke said he was glad he killed a child. Everyone - everyone! - talked about how difficult this was for Luke and how he was the true victim. And what did Lucky do?

He yelled, cried, and went right along with this line.

The show is so hollowed out that it's difficult to have much of a reaction to this but I do think that it's the type of thing which alienates the last remaining diehard viewers, and is a big reason why GH keeps sliding in the ratings.

If ever a story needed GV Lucky being angry at his father and never forgiving him, this was it.

• Members

I am so glad its not just me who finds this version of Lucky weak, unlikable, and pathetic . Greg Vaughan may not have been the best actor and he got the crappiest writing but he had charisma, incredible warmth and heart with his version of Lucky. This Lucky is a crying mess. I seriously to this day do not understand why the soap press finds him so great. And he has no romantic chemistry with anyone.

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of Genie Francis or Laura but I think JJLucky was a lot better when she was around. Having him solely as the inheritor of Luke's failures and as a symbol of how empty and destructive the Luke/Laura relationship was does him no favors. It's all tics and no character.

• Members

Thats a valid point. My issue with the entire Spencer family is that they are hallow and have not the heart they used to. Luke had it at one time, Lulu never did, but Greg Vaughan to me was more Laura's Lucky than anyone. I think him being part of this story over JJ would have made the dynamic completely different and the story would have likely gone is a better direction that it has. And that's what Genie brought to the family, to Luke, to the show and other characters long gone did. The show is really a superficial mess. It tries to do message storytelling with this Luke story and all it ended with was a showcase and emmy bait for Tony Geary and Jonathan Jackson and the press again lauding it as something groundbreaking.

• Members

That's probably one of the reasons Guza and Tony Geary hated GV's Lucky so much.

The biggest failing of the Luke story was they were never going to have the guts to actually have Luke change. That wouldn't be fun, and would somehow betray the image the show has of Luke the hilarious drunken failure. So they had a lot of histrionics for absolutely nothing. The entire family shrugged off Jake's death and instead behaved as if Luke had suffered, when Luke did not give a fig about anything he did.

GH has been like this for a long time. A lot of jumping up and down to hide that people don't ever move forward. This was just the crassest way possible to do it.

I don't even know why the Spencers are still around. JMB has tanked every story they've given her. Lucky is superfluous. Carly isn't really a Spencer, and Luke is pretty much dead. Guza has spent 15 years telling viewers about what a delusional failure the Spencers are and how they represent the worst values. So why bother to keep them on the show? It's nostalgia for a show that spits on nostalgia.

• Members

I don't like JMB. I think her Lulu is incredibly unlikable. JJ well I already stated how I feel, and once GV left and JJ returned I completely lost interest in the Spencer's. I will never understand the rah rah's they get and still don't and will never understand the press ever. Tony Geary has earned it in many ways but he's also been the biggest destroyer of their legacy if there ever was one. Not everything is about great acting and it's why I hate when people talk about how great someone is as an actor or actress. That doesn't make someone compelling its the combination of character and story with the right actor. I think GH to this day misses the Quartermaine's the most not because they were so compelling and great acting talent, it was the dynamic, heart, and yes humor they added to this dark dismal hallow show.

Archived