January 10-14, 2011

Toups

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was thinking about that and I think some people are looking at this Talk/OLTL thing as a head-to-head feud - and that makes sense from a timeslot standpoint - but it's not like The Talk is taking audience away from OLTL, as if The Talk premiered and OLTL's numbers went into the tank. People who want to watch a drama are still watching OLTL, L&O, etc... If ATWT had been replaced by another soap, then I could see this Jets/Sharks mentality but honestly these are two totally different products that attract different types of audiences. The real "threat" of The Talk is that its pulling in good numbers for less money so it's just more evidence in the business case against soaps in their current form.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Lucci on The Talk. Partially because I love watching do that hair toss, eye flutter, "Oh you flatter me so!" thing she does and partially because its such a middle finger to Frons.

• Members

Well......................................................................I have to totally agree with you on this. The Talk isn't competition for OLTL. You're right. Totally different genres. It supposed to be CBS' answer to The View. If anything, I would like to see it go head to head with The View. That would be much more interesting.

• Members

Yeah The Talk Is More A Test To See If Talk shows are the way to go and I Think These six soaps will be around for a while. The Talk Im Not So Sure. Its Getting The same ratings that ATWT Got But Is cheaper so CBS will stick with it for a while but It can get a Tad Boring and Im so sick of Leah and then Sara Gilbert always asking Hows it like to be a mom?

They need to get rid of some of these gals with ones who can do a talk show

Plus Im sorry But To Cancel a 54 Year old show for this makes no sense and the same goes for Lets Make A Deal. They Should Have just kept the soaps and invested in them.

• Members

Why should these networks invest in soaps? The Talk is doing pretty well in the demos and thats all the advertisers care about. Also soaps cost more to produce and for the amount of viewership GL/ATWT and even some soaps are getting now it's not worth it for the networks.

• Members

I was going to write something similar to this but we're now firmly in "It's all been said before" territory. I'll never understand the reasoning that they shouldn't have canceled a 54-year-old show. IMO, these shows should've been canceled and replaced five or six times in 54 years.

• Members

I think a cheaply made soap - cheap in price, not quality of writing or casting - could probably do better than something like LMAD, which CBS treats as a dirty little secret, and which some reported had lower demos than GL.

The Talk I don't see as being just a soap replacement. It has a higher pedigree.

• Members

It Is A Soap Replacement & Im Sorry but I Think A Soap Where U Memorize Pages & Pages Of Dialouge and then film the scenes in ONE TAKE Makes That Higher Pedigree THan Talk shows and game shows

They Are All Entertainment But It Takes a Lot More To produce a soap than a talk or game show

Archived