January 10-14, 2011

Toups

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That says nothing.

Left to their own devices they'd also prefer to sell food filled with rodent hair, lead paint, valium and slaves.Advertisers prefer soaps because they have a lower opinion of the people who watch them. They also prefer to advertise to rich, skinny, straight white women with 2.5 kids. Advertisers may "prefer" to advertise on soaps but when all the soaps are gone they'll advertise on The View, The Talk and Tori Spelling/Aisha Tyler/whatever.

Look, I get that you love the genre but that's no excuse for ignoring reality. For example I love the sci-fi genre but that doesn't mean I can't see that The Cape sucks. (Lawdy how it sucks.) It's not that advertisers prefer soaps, they prefer a daily show that requires an emotional investment from viewers. They can get the same effect from showing reruns. I bet that if NBC were to follow DAYS with reruns of ER, the ratings would be fine.

• Members

Actually advertisers prefer to make the most money that they can and will buy into whatever is bringing in the most eyes. The reason why advertisers propbably prefer soaps over talk/game shows is that soap fans are loyal viewers while a fan of a talk/game show may be more casual.

An example of advertisers going where the money is at, is Oprah I bet advertisers preferred her talk show over soaps.

• Members

I hear ya, but would that make money sense? It's no secret that the main reason soaps went to an hour was because it's still significantly cheaper to fill an hour with one soap, than an hour with two...

Anyway, I dont' wanna ruffle any feathers, but it's nice not to see AMC at the bottom, eve if it prob won't last,,,

• Members

When I say pedigree I don't mean quality. I haven't watched The Talk enough to guess at the overall quality. I mean level of importance. The Talk isn't just some filler show like something that ABC might belch up with Tori Spelling, or like Let's Make a Deal to Pretend This Show Doesn't Exist. It's a show with fairly high quality guests, with the very powerful wife of the president of CBS.

Archived