January 10-14, 2011

Toups

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In total viewers, no. But The Talk HAS beaten OLTL many times in the all important demos. There is no question that The Talk is a sucess. It costs about a third of ATWT, gets the same demos, no P&G meddling. The Talk has been a goldmine for CBS.

• Members

Pretty much. No matter how much people love OLTL or the soap genre, it's simply willing ignorance to act like The Talk isn't a business success. If you were an investor with money to spend, would you buy shares of CBS Daytime with its cheap, fresh, quick profits or ABC with its old, expensive, rapidly dwindling audience?

• Members

I don't understand the whole OLTL/"The Talk" smackdown. Some people act as if it is sacrilegious to admit that they watch and/or like "The Talk" or, that it is competitive with OLTL.

While it may not do anything to help launch a new soap, has anyone ever thought that the success of "The Talk" could be good news for the rest of the CBS Daytime schedule? If a non-soap viewer tunes into "The Talk" and likes it, then who is to say that that same viewer cannot be enticed to watch Y&R or B&B (witness the recent visit to "The Talk" by Eric Braeden).

Clearly CBS is committed to the soaps it has left, giving out multi-year deals for both. So quit acting like "The Talk" is the end of civilization as we know it, or that those people who watch it are evil, stupid, or need to be stoned in the town square (stoned, as in form of punishment, not of the drug variety).

• Members

Back from vacation...

Go Y&R!, the show has such a large potential audience. Not a fan of MaBell and Co., but they do steer a steady ship. Wish the same could be said for B&B which, if something radical isn't done, will soon cease to be one of the 'Special Soaps'. You'd think 9% unemployment and a drop in cable sales would be helping soaps.

OLTL has just stalled and is starting to really remind me of ATWT. Pissy and Simon's have both had a major impact on story. I'll bet anything that they've seriously considered Trent Dawson as a David recast. RC needs to save his show!

• Members

OLTL's stories were a mess long before Passanante showed up. She's a bad writer, but I don't think any of her particular trademarks have seeped in yet.

I actually wish they would recast Trent Dawson as David. At least he would actually stay around. I am sick of the show stopping dead every few months so Tuc Watkins can bellow PA! and pull a wacky face.

Yet they only write for a tiny fraction of them.

• Members

I'm also happy to see AMC finally show some life ratingswise. Imo, the show has gotten much better lately although I am also concerned that the loss of both Annie & Natalia might damage them in the future. ITA about the cliffhangers and unfortunately, this week they really didn't have any great ones. Next week sounds really good from the spoilers, though, so hopefully they can maintain the rise and keep going up!

• Members

You are really delusional when it comes to OLTL. I also don't understand why you are trying to pimp ex-ATWT actors to the show. I am pretty sure nobody has thought about bringing Trent Dawson on as David. And I thought OLTL were going to get ATWT viewers? 4 months later, and OLTL is still not in 3rd place like you predicted. LOL

Archived