January 3-7, 2011

Toups

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not about what ABC counts but what Nielsen counts.

This actually touches on something I've always wondered about: how much of a show do you have to watch for it to count? If you watch the first ten minutes then change channels does Nielsen count you as a viewer? What about DVR? If you watch a couple of minutes of a DVR'd show then delete it, does that show get credit for your viewing?

• Members

Well OLTL's uptick on Friday SHOULD be a good sign for the following week. That kind of ratings increase is very rare for OLTL on a Friday. I am sick of this show's particularly volatile/schizoid ratings. The show can't hold a ratings increase to save its life (holiday or not- the show has no sustainability). I have enjoyed it for the last two months straight.. I hate to see The Talk beat it, but I suppose it was a matter of time.

• Members

I hope ABC takes heed over Wednesday's awful OLTL ratings as preempting nearly half the show on the east coast, and then NYC only showing it late night killed the ratings for that episode. Sometimes it is better to just cut your losses and move the episode to the next day instead of what they did. That destroyed their weekly average.

• Members

Though it's nothing to brag about in the big picture of bad ratings, after seeing an episodic 2,715,000 for AMC I thought to myself I haven't seen that many viewers for an episode of AMC in a long time - so I looked it up. Tuesday, January 4 was AMC's highest episode total since April. 4th most watched episode since their down-tick began after the first week of March 2010.

I don't think they care. Personally, I rather a late-night showing instead of a national pre-emption which throws Friday cliffhangers off for up to 6 weeks.

Speaking of not learning from ratings mistakes. ABCD put on a repeat episode mid-week a couple of months ago that sank the ratings for the entire line-up for the rest of the week yet they're going to repeat that error this coming week.

• Members

I don't recall the The Talk being pre-empted all the way through. OLTL was pre-empted all the way through because WABC decided to show Gov Cuomo coverage. It wasn't on all the channels here in NY.

No matter, I'm more interested in this week ratings without any interruptions.

Archived