Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No problem!! Note my favorite background music cue starts at 4:38. I wish we could find the episodes that aired during this month that involve baby Victoria's fall down the stairs at the ranch and Jack comes to the rescue! The clip I saw involves the music I mentioned as well.

• Members

Thank you again for sharing this with us. 

Was Ashley a part of Brent's life before he died? 

This was certainly a big episode to see - Ashley learning the truth. Eileen Davidson played those scenes with the right blend of despair/anger/disbelief. Her pushing her head against the wall is one of those moments that you wouldn't normally get in dramatic scenes. The guy who played Brent is pretty good too.

I feel like I've seen some of the Jill/John and John/Dina scenes in clip form. I hadn't seen that much of the part where he tells her about the man claiming to be Ashley's father. Dina's struggle to hide her sickness at that reveal is so well played by Marla Adams. 

Love Traci but she couldn't quite hit those high notes. The rest was nice. Tim seems like one of those men who is never happy - a real drain. 

Victor and Nikki seem to be in their own show and as always my patience with them is limited, although at least Victor actually talked to her back then, rather than just barking at her. 

Nikki as the head model of Jabot would have been...interesting. I guess more believable than the days when Cricket was a top model.

It's always tough for me to make out the characters in the charcoal opening. Did I see Andrea Evans?

• Members

I think it is indeed: Paul, Mary, Carl, Patty, Frank, Diane and Andy.

Alex Donnelley left the show in September 1984 and Andrea Evans in October 1984 so that was definitely an old opening still used in March 1985.

Edited by FrenchFan

• Members

I actually didn’t wanna spoil too much that this episode was a pretty big one, but it’s great to see!! Eileen has certainly grown as an actress, but she did well with this material, u can see how this leads to her breakdown...I feel like there were like 2-3 actors playing Brent so it’s hard to get invested into his character but he did seem hopeful and then heartbroken Ashley didn’t accept him...

interesting that Ashley’s date of birth is revealed as April 29, 1959, close to Eileen’s real birthday, except I noticed an error when Brent said that date was a Sunday, I think the 29th was a Wednesday that year..

Beth Maitland felt like a real star in those singing scenes, even if it was a bit of a rough song for her...I like seeing her leading story for a change.

its still amazing how much BD can do when’s she’s only in one scene....I do feel sorry that John isn’t spending much time with Jill and is focusing on Dina...Marla did very well in that scene with John too.

Nikki and Victor didn’t do much for me...he’s being an ass of course..

• Members

My mom used to tell me that Nikki was a model for Jabot.. but I never saw any proof of that... this episode proved she was at least a part time model.. and Victor is trying to dictate Nikki's life even back then.

I know that Nikki/Victor were a popular couple back then, but I often think once Nikki married Victor.. she was basically isolated to the ranch with little to no interaction outside the ranch.  Perhaps her staying as a model at Jabot would have kept her from being isolated so much.

Ashley finding out that Brett was her father started the mental instability of the character.  Before that, Ashley was fairly confident... but finding out she isn't an Abbott threw her for a loop.  I now understand why the show resorted to Ashley having nervous breakdowns because Eileen could play a melt down like no one else.  Brenda and Shari (when they played Ashley) were too strong willed and I couldn't see them playing Ashley having a mental breakdown.

I didn't realize Jill/John were still married at this point... when does John find out about the affair between Jill/Jack?

Traci... she struggled in the early years... who knew she'd be the one to hold the family together in the later years (she's one of the few characters that never backed down to Victor).

• Members

You and a lot of people apparently. I remember when I was younger reading SOD making a crack either in one of their Best and Worsts or under Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down about it when Nick and Sharon had begun owning Crimson Lights about how Sharon must say under her breath how she would 'not be like Nikki' being isolated off at the ranch. I giggled at that back then.

• Members

Fantastic ep! So nice to see these pivotal Ashley scenes. ED rocked it. If Bert Kramer was going for a creepy disturbing vibe as Brent, he certainly succeeded. He looked so rough around the edges, no wonder Ashley is so freaked out. He has no sense of boundaries. It was cool that they built an Abbott garage set, complete with real car.

Traci’s song was just ok. I wonder if BM liked singing on the show? I know that TEB didn’t prefer it. But I loved the Torchlight Club – it looked so expensive with all the background extras filling up the space. Oh, for the days of soaps having budgets…

I think Traci’s singing career is abandoned by summer ’85 when she meets Brad.

Surprised Professor Tim is still lurking about. What a loser.

Victor was irritating, but I appreciated seeing those scenes, because I always found it so confusing how Victor and Nikki could drift apart in ’85, so soon after their fairy-tale wedding. These scenes showed the beginning of their rift.

Thank you @ltm1997 and @YRfan23

I think June of '85 - Katherine mails John the puzzle pieces one by one, showing Jill and Jack together. When he sees the pic, he has a heart attack. There's a clip online from 6/27/85 showing the hospital aftermath

https://youtu.be/MnPuM_waZ_8