Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks @DRW50, great find! If this was 8 months after ED debuted, that would be winter 1983. I felt a little bad for the interviewer. ED seemed a bit halfhearted with her responses and he kept having to drag answers from her. Interesting that she was certain that she wouldn't be one of those actors who stayed on a soap long-term...

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The most interesting part for me was her talking about her acting techniques with the other Abbotts. You could really feel that improv style when she was in scenes with Terry Lester. They had a special chemistry. 

Also the part about viewers looking up to Ashley. I think Bill Bell tried to sort of keep that in mind - even when Ashley was involved in an affair and had an abortion, she was still treated as a heroine. Only after Bell left did the show really start to go haywire with her character (the sperm story).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thank you for the Eileen Davidson interview. She does seem a bit reserved, but also as if she is a little overwhelmed by the new fame.

The host looks like Bill Tush and he did host a show called People Now on CNN which I think was actually Mike Douglas' show, but maybe Bill hosted on occassion or filled in for Mike. Not 100% sure. The set is the same at any rate.

Edited by will81

• Members

Yes that is Bull Tush. Bill filled in for Mike.....but something happened with Mike's contract and he was replaced by Bill. I saw an interview with Bill where he said he was shocked when Ted Turner just called him up and said Mike's out and your in. Then after a year Ted pulled the show without explanation and sent Bill to another show, then finally to New York. Bill said Ted would often do stuff without telling him why. When Bill had his own comedy sketch show "Tush" on Superstation WTBS (1980-81) with Jan Hooks, after a year Ted just said "Shows Over"......Bill said Ted never told him why, but people at the network told him every morning after the Tush show aired, Jerry Falwell would call Ted at his office, so he thinks maybe the pressure from Jerry killed the show. Jan did a regular sketch on the show called " Tammy Jean" as a parody of Tammy Faye Bakker. 

• Members

I found a current 2019 article with Bill and he said Jan called him a few months before she died and has her final message on his phone. He said she was a heavy smoker and even when she was dying she would remove her oxygen mask and smoke. He said they always kept in touch throughout their lives and had lunch when they could get together, and exchanged phone calls up till the end. I don't know if still stays in contact with Bonnie & Terry Turner. 

• Members

Thanks for that great info. Yeah it is odd, newspaper listings have both shows in 1983, People Now with Bill Tush or Mike Douglas' People Now. almost changes daily.

A big fan of the late Jan Hooks from her SNL days. Sad to hear of how she passed. 

Love it when other characters give Victor a good serving and he just has to cop it. As much as Bell and Alden loved Victor, they would allow others to dominate when it made sense. Hope was never under his spell, I also have to hand it to Signy, hard to drop the mic like that and have a great exit when you are playing a blind character that still has to slowly feel her way out of the room.