The Walking Dead: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I like Jack Osborne but Marilyn Manson is so dull. He is that person at a party you don't want to walk away from but who is making you cringe inside.

And UGH at him saying that Carol killed someone because she is menstruating or hasn't gotten laid.

• Members

He seemed zoned out and kept talking and talking, and kept saying things that he saw as profound and everyone else cringed at, like comparing Rick (I think it was Rick) to the white colonists who slaughtered Indians (the zombies were the Indians/Native Americans).

The low point was when he said Carol might have killed because she hadn't gotten laid or she was menstruating. Hardwick immediately said he did not agree with that. For the rest of the episode - the parts I saw anyway - Hardwick was clearly dismissive of him and at one point even congratulated him for having a point that made sense.

It was one of the most uncomfortable moments of TV I've seen in a long time. I hope this might show them to be more discretionary in who they let on.

• Members

The AMC execs need to stop buying into the hype and keep a solid rotation of good celeb guests to balance out the wackos and bores. I would like to see Yvette, Alisha Tyler, Kevin Smith, Scott Porter, and CM Punk as regulars.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

I felt that way too, and then I saw posts about this being a stereotype, or someone saying he is angry all the time (which I don't see). I felt like most of what happened made sense for the character. I just wish they'd had more time to show his relationship with Karen.

• Members

I knew two things going into this episode: One, that Tyreese would not die, because I remembered that scene from the trailer and it is identical to one from the comics where a suicidal Tyreese seemed certain to die and turned up alive through sheer force of will. That scene was almost beat for beat from the comic, with only the setting and minor details transposed.

The other thing I knew going into tonight was that Carol did it. Y'all didn't want to believe me last week, but I knew. I knew the moment I saw the look in her eye when she talked to Carl about telling Rick about the classes - that look was something new. She was capable of it, and I knew she did it. And she's obviously being set up as the counterpoint to Rick for this season. Rick is struggling to hang onto his humanity and not become his old, harder self out of necessity, while Carol is coming into her own necessary evil and facing the impossible decisions head-on. I am almost positive now that this is Melissa McBride's last year with the show - sooner, possibly, than later, maybe even before the break - but I think she is doing an incredible job and if it's her last storyline it's a great one to go out on. In a way she's a much more empathetic, relatable Lady Macbeth.

Another person probably doomed: Poor Herschel. That speech Scott Wilson gave was absolutely incredible. I was just crying. What a man. I suspect Glenn and possibly Sasha (please!) will make it, but Herschel will have sacrificed himself to keep them hanging on.

• Members

Rick is the one who really lost control more than Ty. I'm glad the Rick is recovering, but they haven't made it a full recovery, as if nothing had ever happened to him.

I didn't realize that Carol was the killer until she knocked over the water barrels, but I believed she was capable of it. I also thought it could be Sasha. Both of them seem like they could be pragmatic enough to try to save the majority by killing.

• Members

He came across as angry black man because he really isn't much more than that. The writing for this particular character has been atrocious, practically non-existent. So now after a year we meet this magically from nowhere girl he likes and then she is dead 10 minutes later and he is angry. But so what? What can I possibly feel for Tyrese? Have I watched him star in stories? He is a total blank slate and I am not sure how his emotional attachment to this woman whose face I already forgot (and name) is more compelling than those two girls missing their dad.

In contrast, Carol got her shining hour here. She never really had a story but she played support all this time holding the baby or watching her kid die, and now we see how it has all changed her into the toughest one of all, afraid of nothing. She all of a sudden became a fascinating character and she didn't need to scream, she just needed her eyes. Michonne has gotten much better writing this year too, and even Herschel is trying to be something more than a living fortune cookie spouting wisdom. We even see the blonde girl (I forget her name) starting to show a little personality after two years. But Tyrese? "you bring them to ME!"...is that supposed to mean something? Was that dramatic? He is a bad character on the page, or maybe he was a good character played by a bad actor I have no idea. He came on roughly the same time a Michonne and she has blossomed where he has done nothing. I don't know how this character can have a single fan, already in one episode the creepy little blonde girl has more going on.

I will say the fact he battled 100 walkers and survived is a good beginning in fleshing him out, but it takes actions and scenes over time to make these characters work. His speeches mean nothing.