DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Oh, interesting! I remember that time when it seemed like he was going to leave again.

He really does not EVER seem to have long-term interest in being on the show. I wish they'd find an appropriate, long-term recast. This character has been held hostage by JKJ basically since 2011. JPL was on for like a year and felt like a placeholder.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I understand why they held out for him for so long, because his 2007 return proved how great he was… but this time was a disastrous letdown.  Of course, after the initial Shelle/Phelle round 10,000 tease (which was good, imo), the writing really sucked with his D list story with Chloe & Brady… but he undeniably flopped all on his own accord.  It was shocking!

JPL was really bad.  Like, I even thought Kyle Brandt’s Philip was way better lol.  But by the time they were writing him out, he kinda grew on me… I remember lmao at his and Kate’s commentary through Lucas & Adrienne’s doomed wedding.  However, it was time to end that experiment.

I’d love to for the show to find a solid recast willing to commit.  But they ought to remember the Claire connection, which is a great way to always keep him in S&B’s orbit without the perpetual triangle.

• Members

The original casting call for the Will recast had him in a scene flirting with Melanie. Given the structure at the time, it was clear that the initial conflict between Will and Melanie would have been Melanie's influence over Nick Fallon and the role the Hortons felt Melanie played in Nick's downfall. This was addressed by Nathan when he first came to town have some animosity towards Melanie because of that. 

I'm glad to know that Nathan was mentioned. My MarDar viewing was sporadic and more often than not it was more reading about the period because watching it was painful. 

In terms of Mia being Nicole's daughter, I did feel like this period had a tendency to have a moving target in regards to storylines. Like the structure might have stayed the same, but the characters would change or the characters were the same, but the structure would alter. I definitely felt like "Nicole having a child" was something that was going to happen, and I felt like who that child may have altered. 

Regarding Phillip, I didn't mind JPL as Phillip, but I felt that there is always an assumption that because someone is playing an established character there is no need to go into the character work to help the audience identify with someone who has been offscreen for a bit. I felt he was serviceable with Nadia Bjorlin in the paternity story, but his Phillip didn't feel like he could carry a story. 

Edited by dc11786

I was only watching once in a while. When one day i was home. And Nancy was introduced. I loved seeing this plus sized diva. Who was large and in charge. So, i started watching Days a bit more for the shady and scheming Wesley's and Sadly RC ruined them for kicks. 

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

And that's what people liked the most about them: they weren't that typical soap couple. And I'm sure that the fact that Nancy was heavy yet had a man who loved her and was devoted to her provided an uplifting message to some viewers, almost like the way some fans felt about AW's Rachel back in the early 70s

• Members

I was listening to the Soap Opera Digest podcast where Cady McClain was guest. She was talking about Ray McDonnell & how long he had been in the business & what a dry wit he had & said that out of the blue he would say just a few words & have Michael. E. Knight doubled over in laughter on the floor! Apparently he could break Tad's character regularly. She segued from that to how much classic soap is out there & wouldn't it be great to have it streaming?! Stephanie then said that they were still hopeful that Peacock would stream DOOL's library of episodes but that there was one problem. I leaned forward the better to hear what this was going to be. A complete surprise to me, that the second season is missing, that they lost the whole thing to a fire. Did not know that. Interesting. Of course, the take away is Big Picture, how remarkable it is that they have ALL but one season, which was lost to a fire. Some would say a real blessing.

Cady also said that she expects to see something really BIG out of Marci!

• Members

I do remember reading something about a fire destroying some of Days episodes, but didn't know it was from that early in the run.  That must be the reason the 1966 episodes that have popped up seem to be taken from Kinescopes.  I don't see why that's a huge problem in the long run though. 

• Members

Never heard that before. I do know that the show's script library is missing the first 75 episodes, but most of those are available elsewhere, so the script archive is pretty much complete, except for # 27 and # 41. Someone, without providing additional proof, said they have a kinescope of # 41, so that is the cast/set list I use for my database. However, the # 27 script is not available in any script archive, so I still have a blank for that cast/set list, and am awaiting the hopeful release of the 1965 episodes to finally find out who is in # 27. 

• Members

I had never heard that before but that is meaningless. That Stephanie said it & you've never heard it, well that makes me wonder. No point though. I still stand cheering with a great loud Hooray that DOOL has the vast majority of their library! Onesies & Twosies don't count. But I always remember the urban myth of celery juice spilled on a tape & beware the acidity of celery juice!