DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

FROM THE VAULT: EPISODE # 583: FEBRUARY 26, 1968  (PART THREE...FIRST TWO PARTS POSTED IN SEPTEMBER): WHO IS MARK BROOKS??

ACT TWO. FADE IN: HORTON LIVING ROOM.  LATER. MICKEY, WHO ONLY PART OF HIS SANDWICH, IS NOW EATING HIS PIE, WHICH HE WILL ALSO ONLY EAT A PART OF. TOM IS SLIGHTLY REMOVED, STILL VERY THOUGHTFUL. ALICE SITS NEAR MICKEY, NOT AWARE OF HOW MUCH OR HOW LITTLE HE'S HAD TO EAT. MICKEY IS TRYING TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONVERSATION.

ALICE: You mean you didn't see the item in last night's paper?

MICKEY: No, Mom, I didn't.

ALICE: It told about the fact that the case would be coming to trial the middle of next month, rehashed some of the details and there was a quote by you.
MICKEY: Oh? What did I say?
ALICE: Hmm, to the effect that you're certain the evidence will prove your client to be not guilty.
MICKEY: The standard statement by attorneys when they have nothing else to say.
ALICE (she smiles): But your practice is going very well, isn't it, dear?
MICKEY: Yes, Mom, it is...knock on wood.
ALICE: I hope that doesn't mean you'll be travelling.
MICKEY: Have you forgotten? I decided before Laura and I were married that I was not going to travel, that I was going to stay home with my wife.
ALICE: But, this trip you were supposed to take tonight...

TOM TURNS, LOOKS AT MICKEY. BUT MICKEY CONTINUES LOOKING AT HIS MOTHER.

MICKEY: This was, something unusual, Mom. Although, depending upon what's decided, I may still have to make a trip or two. (beat, then wanting to talk to his father) Mom, this was just great. Thanks a lot.
ALICE (looks at tray): For someone who was so hungry, you certainly didn't eat very much.
MICKEY: Enough. Want me to take the tray to the kitchen?
ALICE: Oh, no, thank you, dear, I can manage.

ALICE PICKS UP THE TRAY, LEAVES THE ROOM. MICKEY RISES, THE PATTERN IS REPEATED AS BOTH MEN WAIT UNTIL ALICE IS DEFINITELY OUT OF EARSHOT. THEN THEY MORE OR LESS CONVERGE, LOOK AT ONE ANOTHER.

MICKEY: Let's see, where were we?
TOM: I believe you were saying something about being convinced there's only one thing to do at this point.
MICKEY (beat, then remembered): Oh, yes. (beat) Two things really. (beat) As I see it, Dad, we've got to dig deeper into why Mark is running away from his past, find out what he's hiding from, know exactly what it is in his background that would make this man live a lie. Answers we have to find...because of Marie.
TOM (beat): What you're proposing then is that we hire an investigator.
MICKEY (beat): Dad, I can understand your wanting to believe in the possibility that whatever Mark's reason for all this, that somehow it won't interfere in his relationship with Marie.
TOM: There is that possibility.
MICKEY: You want to believe that, fine. I don't. I'm telling you, that my experience in this sort of thing indicates this is going to end up having very serious repercussions in that relationship. (beat) Which brings me to my second point.
TOM: And that is?
MICKEY: That when Marie comes home this evening, you talk to her, tell her what we've done and why, and what we've learned.
TOM: Just what have we learned, Mickey, what?  Very little that we can put our finger on, very little that would begin to make an impression on a young woman who's in love with a man.
MICKEY: Dad, you have to explain where all this could lead. This girl has got to be prepared in some way. You can't let her go on blindly...
TOM (topping): Mickey, talk sense. Do you think your sister's capable of projecting this situation through your eyes? I don't even know that I am at this moment.
MICKEY (with deep emotion): Dad, I'm telling you you can't let this girl go on loving a man knowing the relationship could blow sky high in a day or two without saying something to her, She's got to be told, Dad.

BEAT, THEN NOT ABOVE A WHISPER, BUT WITH DEEP INNER INTENSITY

MICKEY: She's got to.

HOLD ON TOM, A MAN TORN RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE. MUSIC: UP TO FINISH AND OUT. FADE: TO BLACK. UP ON: COMMERCIAL.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I read today that Trevor Donovan played Jeremy Horton in 2009. Mike & Robin Jacobs son, dated Stephanie, and they gave him a 3 yr contract.  But he kept freezing as soon as they'd have a live scene so they had to fire him. Now he has worked for Hallmark for years & it sounded like he was hoping to come back to DOOL.

• Members

I would assume the fact that Jeremy was written horrible and was an actual douchey villian had more to do with TD's firing than him in general.  That character went over like a lead balloon.  Mike's son wouldn't be THAT awful.  His performance wasn't great, but what "live" scenes were they doing?  It may be an anecdote the actor relays but the show was always taped and they had some takes and rehearsal back then.  It was all part of the "touch the sky" story with Stephanie, Jett, and Chelsea.

• Members
FROM THE VAULT: EPISODE # 583: FEBRUARY 26, 1968  (PART FOUR...FIRST THREE PARTS POSTED EARLIER): WHO IS MARK BROOKS??...MARIE TELLS MARK ABOUT HER LATE BROTHER, TOMMY

ACT THREE: FADE IN: EXT. HORTON HOME. LATER. BRING MARK AND MARIE WALKING SLOWLY UP THE PATH, TO THE FRONT PORCH, WHERE THEY WILL STOP, LINGER. THE PORCH SWING IS STILL OUT.

MARIE: Lovely evening, isn't it?
MARK: I can hear the crocus now, getting ready for the big push.
MARIE (smiling): You've never been to our home in the Springtime.
MARK: No.
MARIE: It's so beautiful, Mark. Mom has flowers everywhere.
MARK: Sounds like something to look forward to.
MARIE: Do you like flowers?
MARK: Um-hmm, very much. Although you'd never know it from how few I've given you. A single rose, as I remember...
MARIE: But so beautiful.
MARK: One I stole from a vase in a restaurant. You'll just have to be patient with me, I'm afraid. But then a I've told you before, my social life has been somewhat lacking.
MARIE: I will never believe, Dr. Brooks, that there haven't been other women in your life.
MARK (beat, then very serious): No, I can truthfully say there haven't been, Marie.
MARIE: No childhood sweethearts?
MARK: I...I really can't speak for my childhood.
MARIE: Now you're going to tell me you don't remember.
MARK: You...wouldn't believe that.
MARIE: No, I'm afraid I wouldn't. I think everyone remembers their first date.
MARK: Tell me about yours.
MARIE: (beat as she smiles, reflects): Oh, I couldn't have been more than twelve. A dance at school. A short, freckled face boy by the name of Johnnie Potter asked mer. He came to the door scared to death. I don't think he said more than ten words to me that night. But it was a wonderful evening, a wonderful childhood memory. (beat) What was your childhood like, Mark?
MARK: Oh...average, I suppose.
MARIE: I imagine you were spoiled by your parents.
MARK: Why do you say that?
MARIE: You did say you were an only child.
MARK: Yes.
MARIE (beat, then): In a way I feel a little sorry for children who don't have brothers and sisters.
MARK: The baby of the family talking.
MARIE: Um-hmm. I guess I just revelled in the idea of having three older brothers, an older sister. They were all so wonderful to me. (beat) Especially Tommy. He was a good deal older than I was, but we always had sort of a special bond. Then when he was killed, much of it transferred to Mickey. (beat) I'm sorry, I don't know how I got off on this subject.
MARK: Tommy must have been quite a remarkable person to have made such a lasting impression.
MARIE: He was, Mark. I was only seven when he was killed in action, but I don't think I'll ever forget him.
MARK (beat, then throwing it): Anyway, you were saying before that I should buy you more flowers.
MARIE: Mark Brooks, I didn't say anything of the sort.

THEY SMILE, LOOK AT ONE ANOTHER LOVINGLY, DEFINITE PAUSE, THEN...

MARK: You're so very beautiful when you smile. (beat) Even when you don't. But especially when you do.
MARIE: Thank you.
MARK (beat): I can remember Bill when we were in Pine Grove, talking about his kid sister. I never thought then that I'd be meeting her. But I tried to draw a mental image. As lovely as it was, it fell far short of the girl I met months later.
MARIE (beat, then): I remember the night Bill came back from Pine Grove, talking about this wonderful country doctor...young, handsome, a bachelor, a man who'd been so good to Bill, who helped him when he needed help most, and I thought, "My, how I'd like to meet him, come to know him." And now, I do know him.
MARK: Would you call it fate?
MARIE (beat): Or destiny.
MARK: Yes, I like that word better.

BEAT AND WITHOUT BREAKING MOOD...

MARIE: Mark? When you decided to stay in Salem after your last operation, work in the lab, you mentioned that-- well, it was more or less a temporary arrangement.
MARK: Yes, I did say that then, didn't I?
MARIE (beat, then): I was just wondering if you might ever decide to go back to Pine Grove.
MARK (long loving look): It won't be what I decide, darling. It'll be what we decide together.

HOLD ON REACTIONS AS THEY LOOK AT EACH OTHER. MUSIC: UP TO FINISH AND OUT. FADE TO: BLACK. UP ON: COMMERCIAL.

• Members

Thanks so much Jason for posting .

So are we led to believe that Marie and mark never kissed or embraced?

I know soaps were much more chaste back then, but surely as much in love as they sounded from those scenes, the two would have had physical contact.

Or did that happen, making the story all the more shocking?

• 2 weeks later...