DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

i recall something about a fire at Columbia/ Screen Gems in the late 60's. Will do some research and hopefully come across something.

This was what I was thinking of I guess but it doesn't apply to Days.

Fire blazes on Burbank sets Feb 1970

High real -life drama, bursting out at the Columbia Studios ranch in Burbank, Calif., on the afternoon of Jan. 30, almost wiped out the physical property of several comedy television series. A fire that started in an old sound stage raged for about an hour and caused an estimated $2 million in damages. Sets used in such Screen Gems - produced programs as Here Come the Brides, Bewitched and The Flying Nun were damaged. Studio officials indicated, however, that the fire damage would not delay TV production.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Weird that Cady of all people would be the one to drop this though - I wonder if it means that they're indeed taking inventory of the episodes they do have? Why else would she of all people suddenly know this if there's no talk about it backstage?

• Members

Hey, thnx for looking! Wow 2 mil in damage, burned for an hour, sheesh! Awful even if it wasn't the DOOL one we were looking for!

Yes, you think like I do. As soon as she said it, I thought, well, Cady is sharp as a tack, no doubt, but why is this on the tip of her tongue?!! Let's hope this is a topic of interest!!

• Members

You aren't wrong.  I do remember Maggie being around a bit in Aremid sharing scenes with Marlena and later in the decade and in the early 2000's they were close when Maggie had her restaurant.  Laura clearly became the de facto BFF for Marlena in the 90's.  The difference then is that Marlena/Maggie still spoke of one another fondly.  You at least knew they were friends and even if Maggie wasn't on a ton, Mickey/Maggie would still speak of John/Marlena like they were close to them and be at major events like weddings and parties for them.  You wouldn't even know Maggie/Marlena knew one another today.

The weirder thing was John's sudden hatred of Maggie in the early 2000's when he was calling her a gossip and openly mean to her.  That came out of nowhere lol.

• Members

I wouldn't exactly say it came out of nowhere. John took out his anger on Maggie because of the ongoing issues between Marlena & Brady about Belle getting stuck on the train tracks and both Marlena & Roman were so sure Brady was responsible for hurting Belle. Abe & Roman and the police hunt down Brady, with Abe shooting Brady, which left him in a wheel chair for a period of time. Let's also not forget what happened at Maggie's restaurant when Roman & police showed up to arrest Brady, but John got into a fight with Roman, which caused a major scene and embarrassment. Maggie was gossiping about John's personal issues.

• Members

I remember all that.  John was openly mean to her before that whole Brady situation blew up.  None of the Brady/Marlena issues were Maggie's fault and it's very odd he took it out on her specifically. Sure Maggie's a gossip, but why would John care that much?  I thought it was the most random thing as they previously got along perfectly fine.   Brady's shooting had nothing to do with Maggie.  It was pretty much Marlena/Roman's faults.  Maggie's entire restaurant got destroyed because Brady/John were being idiots.  John was acting like a complete jerk to a lot of people during that time period though.

Anyhow, that's just my opinion.  Maggie is annoying and I have no problem with people yelling at her, I just felt John's anger really was a strange development and out of character considering the two characters non-problematic history for the previous 20 years.

• Members

Found this list of what's been taped at the two "Days" studios (2 and 4) through the years.

Lists compiled via: https://eyesofageneration.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/The-NBC-West-Coast-Studios-History.pdf

Studio 2:

The Jimmy Durante Show (1954-1956)

Matinee Theater (1955-1958)

Annie Get Your Gun (1957 special)

Jerry Lewis (1957-1958 specials)

Kraft Music Hall with Milton Berle (1958-1959)

Startime (1959-1960)

Your First Impression (1962-1964)

Bing Crosby Show (1963 special)

Morning Star (1965-1966)

Paradise Bay (1965-1966)

Swingin' Country (1966)

Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show (1968)

Laugh-In (1968)

Letters to Laugh-In (1969)

It Takes Two (1969-1970)

Life with Linkletter (1969-1970)

Many Moods of Perry Como (1970 special)

Words & Music (1970-1971)

The Don Knotts Show (1970-1971)

The Flip Wilson Show (1970-1974)

Make Your Own Kind of Music (1971)

Midnight Special (1973-1981)

Name That Tune (1974-1975, 1977)

High Rollers (1974-1976)

Mac Davis Show (1974-1976)

Blank Check (1975)

Knockout (1977-1978)

All Star Secrets (1979)

Chain Reaction (1980)

Blockbusters (1980-1982)

Fantasy (1982-1983)

Go (1983-1984)

Hot Potato (1984)

Time Machine (1985)

Your Number's Up (1985)

Days of Our Lives (1989-present)

Studio 4:

The Dinah Show Chevy Show (1956-1963)

The Tennessee Ernie Ford Show (1956-1960)

Jerry Lewis (1957-1958 specials)

Lux Show with Rosemary Clooney (1957-1958)

The Big Game (1958)

It Could Be You (1958)

County Fair USA (1960 special)

The Bob Newhart Show (1961-1962)

The Andy Williams Show (1962-1971)

The Art Linkletter Show (1963)

You Don't Say! (1963-1969)

The Dean Martin Show (1965-1974)

The Roger Miller Show (1966)

Laugh-In (1968-1973)

It Takes Two (1969-1970)

The Bobby Darin Show (1973)

NBC Follies (1973)

Baffle (1973-1974)

Wizard of Odds (1973-1974)

Blank Check (1975)

The Smothers Brothers Show (1975)

Three For the Money (1975)

Magnificent Marble Machine (1975-1976)

Wheel of Fortune (NBC daytime version) (1975-1989)

Fun Factory (1976)

The Rich Little Show (1976)

Dick Clark's Live Wednesday (1978)

Van Dyke & Company (1976)

Mindreaders (1979-1980)

Fantasy (1982-1983)

Hit Man (1983)

Wordplay (1986-1987)

Blockbusters (1987)

Days of Our Lives (1989-present)

• Members

I just read an old SOD article about DAYS characters who were "missing in action", or had been given no goodbye scene.

Am I correct, given the date of the article, that Maggie, Marie, Micky, Tommy, Don, Julie and Doug didn't attend Bo and Hope's wedding in England?  Who sat on the bride's side of the aisle beside her grandmother?

• Members

Maggie was so random during this era, lol.  This is basically when I started watching (summer 2000), so I recall it fondly.  Tuscany was so wild—when I was 12, I thought it was completely normal that all these characters of totally different socioeconomic backgrounds and ages were going to a restaurant in full formalwear lolol.  This was when we had a REAL budget, henny!

I loved her & Richard Allen’s hw tenure from what I’ve seen on my J&J edits.  I also think it’s really cool and interesting that so many years later, they had her write the script for J&J’s exit episode, which also (only) featured the big Claire paternity reveal with Philip/Belle/Shawn/Mimi (which was also Jason Cook’s last day as Shawn).