DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought it was a couple of weeks to be honest, considering how much mileage the show seemed to get out of the "death".

But it goes to show you how it really was orchestrated as a PR stunt, especially with that hilarious "protest" posted a while back.

• Members

Well at least Days chose the right actress to hang their hopes on lol.   They needed the publicity, so whatever.  And it's so long ago and Deidre is popular enough hearing it years later you can kind of believe people would care that much.

I definitely believe people called in, but it is really hard to believe 70 people organized themselves enough to drive to Burbank and protest outside when you think about it.   Plus every article is identical verbatim.

Well played Days.  She was fake dead for about 72 hours and you milked it for all it was worth.

I have no idea what soaps/soap fandom was like in 1980, but I have to believe a lot of viewers might have at least guessed it was Sam?  I know the show executed it well as most of the main players didn't know she had a twin (Roman, Gwen, Abe, Jake, etc) and Don saw her in the robe he gave her so it was fairly believable on that end, but I assume fans had to at least think that was a possibility.  Or maybe they were too busy rallying the troops and making signs for their protest at the studios lol..

• Members

Honestly, I'd question even that - people are killed off on soaps all the time. I get that there was no social media and either calling or letter writing were the only available methods to reach out, but... yeah. If people did call in I'd assume it was quite limited, popular character or not. It's just the way daytime soaps had worked for decades at that point.