Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Am I the only person who felt distracted by Lisa Brown's dental work? I feel somewhat bad for saying this aloud but honestly, when I watch her appearances in the 90s and beyond, it's one of the most prominent things that I see every time I watch an episode from this period.

• Members

Never noticed her dental work. I always thought young Lisa Brown looked a bit like young Judy Garland. I remember they had Iva win some contest and get a makeover and a cruise and I always thought it was funny because that lady had every hair color under the sun and had different looks through the years but in reality needed a personality transplant. 

• Members

Once upon a time there was a thread about soaps and the use of licensed popular music, which has since been archived.

I came across this YouTube article this morning, which made me think of that thread because for years, I've been saying that I believed that streaming was a way for soaps to keep the original music in their episodes, while placating artists who could get a small share of ad revenue, depending on clicks, the way YouTube does it. A subscription service that offers something that no uploader on YouTube or Dailymotion can offer- selected complete storylines presented in crystal-clear HD. Does anybody think that some 80s singer whose song is no longer charting or selling otherwise would refuse the possibility to make a bit of change from the clicks? Actors may joke about paltry residuals, but they never refuse them.

Recently, the series Freaks And Geeks managed to do what had been said was impossible, put out a collection for their series with the music featured during the series' original broadcast run, and they used some pretty popular songs!

A streaming platform, similar to YouTube would also have more control over preventing piracy, which is the second most cited annoyance by musicians, as to why most don't allow permission for their music to be used beyond the original one-time run on a show. 

With some imagination, it is indeed possible to work out a solution, provided all parties have the will to do this. As a corporation, I don't believe P&G has the imagination or the will to do this, despite the genuine likelihood that it would be profitable for them. I guess they would prefer to just arbitrarily raise prices on their consumers for mostly mediocre products.

There's a link to avert the paywall by copying and pasting the URL:

https://archive.is

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

It’s not so much any individual artist.  I remember and Indy film director a few years ago wrote a letter to two artists in the hopes of getting discounted song rights, one of them was Dolly Parton who agreed because she liked the story.  I wish I could remember what that film was, it was in the director’s commentary.

It’s the publishing companies and studio conglomerates that have been buying those rights for decades/already had them- they set prices that are too high.  Which is hilarious, because we know many soap couple themes in the 1980’s helped drive the sales of those songs.  GH used a lot of music and helped a few bands score bigger hits.

I hate corporate mentality!

Also some bands just flat out refuse.  When they released WKRP a couple of years ago, they got about 95% of the music cleared.  It made the box set expensive, but that show really needed the music.  Pink Floyd, who had allowed them to use it back in the day during the original broadcast flat out refused.  From what I read at the time, the dollar amount didn’t matter, they just did not license their music any more.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Which is why I suggested streaming, instead of selling boxed sets, which are more easily pirated and resold, which seems to be the bane of most artists. It's much more difficult for pirates to profit from any film or television show that is being streamed (even those who do aren't making profits since the days of KimDotCom), as opposed to making physical copies for sale. 

I agree that much depends upon the artist and more often, the company, but I still think the streaming vs. DVD is as important an issue in who gives permission to use their music.

An example: there was a film by an indie French director that was streamed by Netflix. The director really wanted a song by Rihanna, written by Sia, for one particular scene but didn't think she could get permission. Everyone told her that it was impossible. The director elected to try anyway. She wrote a letter to Rihanna and the record company, sending a clip with the pivotal scene. She was shocked when she heard back from Rihanna personally saying that she loved the scene and the record company gave this particular director permission. I saw the film and the scene was so beautiful it moved me to tears. 

What artist wouldn't want to be associated with such moving art?!

If it's junk, I could imagine musicians saying no. If the song has nothing to do with the scene or episode/movie, I can also see a musician saying no. A Deodorant brand once wanted to use "Don't Stand So Close To Me' and Sting/The Police said no (very understandable).

The music of Dolly Parton, unfortunately, has been known to have a history of being tied up by onerous contracts, especially songs from her early catalog. 

I do think streaming has proven to be a different ball game (Dolly Parton herself has a series that streams on Netflix using songs from her catalog) than DVDs, which is why I specifically said streaming, not DVD or even download--the aspect of piracy and resale looks too large for physical copies being sold, with the probability of being resold with no profits going to the artists or their record company and artists and their record companies hate this.

It would probably be easier to negotiate a song like "Nobody Loves Me Like You Do", which is rarely heard anywhere other than YouTube than a Phil Collins song. There is still the possibility of using generic music, which is not ideal but with today's technology is not as difficult and definitely not as expensive as it once would've been years ago. And that would be better than nothing, I think.

I still think it is short-sided thinking to let so much of that catalog of episodes go to waste. It's an especial shame in this time of peak reboots, revivals, reissues and reunions. Also, it is dumb to not even try a subscription streaming service or at least, a Peacock or Roku Originals type streaming service since they're quite profitable.

Then again, P&G is a mess of a company, so no surprise that they can't get anything together and because they are so messy, no other third party wants to partner with them the way the SoapClassics people once did.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Another Alan Locher Reunion this time with Mary Ellen Stuart and returning guest Melanie Smith. 

From his Facebook Page

Please join As the World Turns alum Mary Ellen Stuart (Frannie Hughes) and Melanie Smith (Emily Stewart) live in The Locher Room on Thursday, June 17th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST. These real-life moms, friends and actresses are coming together to share their Oakdale memories with all of us and so much more.