Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Because she was told by almost everyone that Craig was bad news and she refused to believe it. She looked like a fool after everything came out. 

So my mom was like pendeja you deserve no sympathy.

Gnomes are suppose to bring good luck. I think they're creepy too. My mom has a few. I was why do you have those...?? Ewwww

• Members

Happy birthday to the former Penny Hughes of Oakdale.    Her birthday has been celebrated every year since 1956.    Each year, she would be sent flowers by her attorney father (Chris Hughes) and, later, her physician brother (Dr. Bob Hughes).

Happy Birthday Penny

• Members

At 1:06:19 (which I think I set the start at correctly, I hope!), Hollywood Graveyard features the final resting place of Michael David Morrison, the original Caleb Snyder, if anyone wants to see it. He is buried in Louisiana.

• Members

Thanks for posting that interview @Soapsuds. Scott speaks with a great deal of conviction about his nonprofit work, which was really nice to hear. I had no idea he had had a problem with alcohol at one time. As many times as I have seen him do these podcast interviews, I hear something new each time. I think he probably has enough material for a memoir or autobiography. It would be cool to see him as a series regular on a show somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
A new bit of canon about another ATWT character coming to AW but being only offscreen.

I was looking for something, else, on ATWT's wikipedia page when I saw this: Quote Donald works for Mitchell Dru ( Geoffrey Lum) on this sh... And I went into investigative mode. The conclusions create a new little tidbit of canon.

The cast of characters: Mitchell Dru, an attorney from Oakdale (ATWT) now in Bay City (AW). Donald Hughes, another Oakdale attorney (ATWT) who at times works for Mitchell Dru or with him, also now in Bay City (AW). Mike or Michael Bauer, another attorney but from Springfield (GL), also now in Bay City (AW). Hope Bauer, daughter of Mike Bauer, also in Bay City (AW) with her father. What we knew before: Mitchell Dru was from ATWT but in AW but
offscreen. Mike Bauer & his daughter Hope were from GL but were in AW onscreen. We knew nothing about Donald Hughes & he will remain offscreen.

Now looking at the recap in question, we find we are here: http://www.anotherworldhomepage.com/aw1966.html Another World Synopsis FEBRUARY 8, 1966 (EP. #441)

This is my rewrite of the recap with these last names added in & the new info: At the hospital coffee shop, Mitchell Dru told Michael Bauer that John Randolph agreed to see him that very evening, then castigated the press for harping on Pat's trial. Joe visited Lee again to tell her that though she's torturing herself for all the things
she's done to others, her feelings toward Pat haven't changed. Though he assured her it was too early for such a change, he felt she was capable of it if she made a real effort. Mitchell Dru introduced John Randolph and Michael Bauer, who compared notes on their daughters (Maryanne & Hope, respectively). Michael Bauer said he worked with Donald Hughes mostly on his criminal briefs, and had worked previously with George Hayes in a much smaller firm. John Randolph, impressed that Michael Bauer was itching for more responsibility, hired him since he'd been having to turn down cases, and also because Mitchell Dru was too involved with teaching to completely help out in the office while John Randolph took a few days to recuperate. Lee reminded Mitchell Dru of his warnings about revenge. Joe earned Lee's trust by not telling Mitchell Dru about her suicide attempt. Mitchell Dru told Lee of John Randlph's plans for Michael Bauer, and encouraged her to visit her father. In the hall, Joe dismissed Mitchell Dru's appraisal of his positive influence on Lee, then distressed him by saying John Randolph's surgery will cancel any meetings. Mitchell Dru then tried to convince John Randolph that Michael Bauer would be detained in meetings all day tomorrow.

Note: George Hayes was a Guiding Light character played by Phillip Sterling (1962-1968), who went on to play AW's Rafe Carter from 1970-1971.
Note: Mike Bauer & Michael Bauer are the same person.

Additional: Lance Jackson:Donna, Mitchell Dru certainly got around on the Irna Phillips created P&G soaps! He was originally a character on “The Brighter Day”. When it was cancelled in 1962, Dru moved to Oakdale and “As The World Turns” and became a member of the the Lowell, Barnes, Lowell and Hughes law firm. He was considering representing Ellen in her quest to regain custody of Dan whom she’d given up for adoption but ultimately turned her down. I’m assuming that Mitchell Dru arrived in Bay City and Another World sometime in 1966. He was responsible for getting Mike Bauer to Bay City from The Guiding Light. I assume too that Mitchell was somehow related to the Matthews family because in this 1968 episode Alice refers to him as Uncle Dru.

He must be the brother of one of the Matthews wives.

Edited by Tonksadora
Additional info on "Mitchell Dru".

• Members

I believe Mitchell Dru arrived on Another World during Pat Randolph's murder trial to assist with the case, so he was in Bay City in 1964 or 65. And he was a regular on-screen member of the cast until he left the show around 1971. Mitchell Dru is not a blood member of the Matthews family, but the Matthews kids (Russ, Pat, and Alice) called him Uncle Dru because he was an old family friend. I believe Lee Randolph may have also called him Uncle Dru. Most adults on AW called him Dru, even though his first name was Mitchell.  I don't recall anyone ever calling him Mitchel on AW.  Lee Randolph is John Randolph's daughter.  Marianne Randolph was not born until 1970-71, so in this episode (from 1966) any reference to John's daughter refers to Lee, not Marianne.  

I do not believe the intent of the dialogue in this episode was to imply that Don Hughes was (or had been) in Bay City.  I believe the intent was to suggest Mike Bauer had worked with Don Hughes in Oakdale -- even though Mike Bauer had never appeared on screen nor had even been mentioned on As the World Turns.  It is a mystery why Agnes Nixon (head-writer for both AW and GL in 1966) put that statement in the script.  It would have only confused viewers who watched all three soaps (AW, GL, and ATWT), because the viewers would have known Mike Bauer had never appeared on ATWT.  Strange, huh??

• Members

Yes, the fact that he was there to assist John Randolph in preparing for Pat's murder trial is part of what I found out & included in the new text for the recap.

My oops that Maryanne wasn't born yet. I jumped to an unfounded conclusion when, of course, big sister Lee is right there in the recap.

As to whether Don Hughes was in Bay City or not, you might be right, but that's not the way it reads to me.

It is strange to think that Agnes would have been confusing the fans so. And, at that time they would've still been half hour soaps & I know there were plenty of people who changed the channel after watching AW to another network to catch ATWT!

Adding: The ultimate AW expert, Eddie Drueding, has just gotten back to me that - It seems that info about Dru/ATWT is faulty in many ways. Dru came to AW in 1964; there was no AW appearance by Donald; John's daughter at the time was Lee; Michael Bauer never appeared on ATWT; and Dru wasn't actually related to the Matthews.

And, so it goes.

Edited by Tonksadora
Adding additional info.