The Oprah Winfrey Show

YRBB

• Members

The show was just as good as I hoped, and so chock full that today was only part 1! They're picking it up again next Wednesday. And Iyanla is just as crazy as she says she is. :P

AMS, yes, I do remember flipping the channels and seeing her on Starting Over. My mom had one or two of her books back in her Oprah heyday. I never knew about this falling out with Oprah, I may have even assumed that her show was under Harpo's banner. Had no clue that Barbara and Bill were behind it. Wow, to think that Miss Barbara would go behind Oprah's back like that, I wish Oprah would have stuck it to Barbara at least a little bit, respect be damned. I'm not a big fan of Barbara Walters the person, I don't mind her when she's wearing her reporter/interviewer hat. But I think she's shown herself to be sneaky, two-faced, condescending, and rude.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Iyanla was very controversial among Starting Over fans - the thread at TWOP had many many pages about her and her credentials and so on - because she would do things like put a woman in a cage for being spoiled and selfish (later on it was learned that this woman had been sexually abused, and Iyanla apologized for the cage incident), she made a woman get in the mud and hosed her down, etc.

The first season of that show was really good. I lost some interest after that, as the second season seemed endless and a bit staged. I still felt a little sad when I learned it was over (and the co-host/counselor Rhonda was pretty pissed about the end).

• Members

It's debatable whether she *needs* another hour, but the hour sure was juicy and you still got the impression that there was more to talk about (her divorce, foreclosure, loss of her daughter, etc.). And like you, I would have loved a FULL hour let alone a second one with La Looch.

Sure, business is business but Barbara and Oprah are supposed to be buds. If not Bill, you'd think Barbara would at least include Oprah in this but they didn't want her having a $$$ stake in it. You don't try to steal O's discovery out from under her for your own budding daytime empire. Sneaky, and bold, really.

• Members

Yup, that's what happened... Oprah and company were in the process of developing shows for Iyanla and Dr. Phil but felt that they weren't *quite* ready to strike out on their own. Iyanla got the offer from Barbara, fasted and prayed on it, went back to Oprah and said that now was the annointed time, not necessarily the appointed time. She felt she was ready to move forward with the plans for her show. Oprah n'em didn't think she was ready so told her to go with Barbara (they didn't know it was Barbara at the time, Iyanla had only referred to the other offer as coming from "a big name").

• Members

I hope Oprah doesn't give her a show. She's done more than enough for her. She forgave her, now they can go there separate ways. And even if she were to give Iyanla a show, Oprah can't deem Iyanla more ready now than she was 11 years ago.

I just don't see why Oprah would devote another episode to Iyanla. On Morning Joe, Oprah said that she has 40 plus shows left. Why would she waste another hour on Iyanla?

• Members

I have started to overuse the word off and the phrase something seemed off. And it did. It's almost as if the parts were really well prepared and scripted, almost to be seamless. And then well-directed.

I didn't find the screeching weird in the least, it was an African-American stereotype and she just overdid it. Maybe as a therapeutic thing, to scare off the 'stage fright'. Or something.

Although I've obviously heard about her, I've never read any of her books, but I do find her life story fascinating. And as a great example. She must be weird in one way or the other if she lived through all of that, don't you agree?

No one is this tale is a sinless cherub. Not Oprah, not Iyanla, and most certainly not Barbara Walters.

• Members

Barbara Walters is destroying what little dignity and credibility she has left by staying on The View. She's really exposing to the world what a complete and utter bitch she is and always has been every single day she appears on that show. She needs to retire.

And knowing what we now know about Iyanla/Bill Geddie/Barbara Walters, it makes perfect sense why it didn't work out. Iyanla's greed got the best of her; she thought she was gonna be hot sh!t, and she went to people that didn't nurture or respect her "talent." But we also know Geddie is a misogynist pig and Barbara is a senile, arrogant bitch.

What I am MOST curious about is Oprah VS. Rachael Ray. You know those two don't get along and probably really hate each other.

Archived