The Oprah Winfrey Show

YRBB

• Members

A couple of comments:

*Even though I almost never watched Oprah, I felt very sad at the end of today's episode since this marks the end of a television institution.

*Kudos to Oprah for being honest about the fact that she once did trash talk (and for saying that she regretted it). Does anybody know when she stopped doing this?

*Regarding the Carson/Oprah debate, it is true that Carson merely entertained people while Oprah transformed people. However, the number of viewers Carson had far exceeded Oprah at her show's peak popularity. And, Carson dominated late-night even more than Oprah dominated daytime talk. (Yet it's still hard to compare the two, because there were much less entertainment outlets back in Carson's time.)

*I really regret that Oprah is leaving Chicago to run OWN from Los Angeles. While she could have offices in L.A., I see no reason why Oprah can't remain in Chicago, since being from in Chicago is part of what makes Oprah unique. (It was bad enough that Chicago lost Marshall Field's--its premier department store--after Macy's selfishly and needlessly butchered it; now the town is losing Oprah, too.)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I cannot give you an exact date but I would say that around 1993 was when the show had firmly moved away from the trashier stuff, and you slowly noticed less and less audience at the mic participation.

Ita with your Chicago sentiments, and when I think Chicago I think Oprah (first among other things). I also hate how Macy's has wiped out so many familiar store names in their takeovers/rebrandings. For the D.C. area, it was Hecht's.

• Members

The Oprah Show and Chicago are tied together so she wants to close the book on them together. Plus, she has a home in CA that she loves and would like to spend more time living in. Also, OWN is 50 percent owned by Discovery, which is based in Los Angeles so that's another reason why she's retreating to LA.

Harpo will still be around and will employ people so she's not saying goodbye to Chicago permanently.

• Members

SFK and Johathan, thank you for answering my questions.

I'm sorry for switching the subject, but I am in complete agreement with SFK over what Macy's has done. Below is a complete list of all the department store names that Macy's has decimated over the past 25 years:

A&S (Abraham & Straus)

Bamberger's

The Bon Marche

The Broadway

Bullock's

Burdines

Davison's

The Emporium

Famous-Barr

Filene's

Foley's

Goldsmith's

Hecht's

I. Magnin

The Jones Store

Jordan Marsh

Kaufmann's

Lazarus

Liberty House

L.S. Ayres

Marshall Field's

Meier & Frank

Rich's

Robinsons-May

Stern's

Strawbridge's (Strawbridge & Clothier)

Weinstock's

• Members

Ratings:

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/tvline-items-oprah-finale-ratings-lopez-idol-future/

Oprah doesn’t do mediocre — and neither do her ratings. The Queen of Daytime took her final bow on Wednesday, raking in her largest at-home audience in 17 years. The Oprah Winfrey Show‘s series finale posted a 13.3 household rating, the talker’s highest number since a February 1994 installment titled “People Shed Their Disguises.” TVByTheNumbers offers this perspective on the tally: For the week ending May 15, Oprah averaged a 5.4 household rating (and drew 7.35 million viewers). They estimate the total finale audience at 17 to 18 million viewers.

• Members

Eighteen million ppl in this Daytime era is huge, but surprisingly, I was expecting more ppl to tune in. I may not like Oprah but I know she's an icon.

I wonder what the affiliates will start broadcasting in it's place because airing reruns isn't going to be profitable.

Archived