The Oprah Winfrey Show

YRBB

• Members

I was totally thinking about those clips of teary Jenny on the stand too, she really was hit super hard by it and I wouldn't have been at all surprised if that had been the end of her show. I'm glad that it wasn't, some industry folk are so quick to shut down an operation for guilt by association, "Dammage control, dammage control!". I can understand the family's pain, but who would imagine that someone would have such a terrible reaction. I'm sure all involved assumed the guy would laugh it all off (and maybe the poor deceased was hoping for a little more? :ph34r: ). I'm sure he thought the guy was on the level if he brought him on the show, God, how awful.

Oh man, TCP is EPIC, it just is, one of those movies I cannot help but flip back and forth to when it's on, I'm always in the mood for it. So quotable and visually stunning. Deserved more Academy recognition than it got, but who cares, it is a modern American classic and that's worth more than awards. I still have a VHS copy from 1986 that one of my late mother's white co-workers gave to her for Christmas with a little inscription on the label. :(

What Are You Listening To?:

Git it Tata!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/nQ8XkY6Too0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/nQ8XkY6Too0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/nQ8XkY6Too0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1&amp;color1=0x402061&amp;color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was interesting to read in Donald Bogle's book about how controversial the film was, especially in portrayals of black men. I guess this is a common criticism though, of a lot of different types of films (I read one blasting Tyler Perry's new film for this issue).

• Members

And that's probably the biggest problem about Hollywood making so few films about people of color/marginalized groups... when they do make one, it has to be everything to everybody. And that's just not fair. TCP is a story, but not THE story of the black experience, and yet, it is A black experience. It's hard (impossible) to come up with any sort of black male hero in these films, but then look at all of the roles Misters Poitier and Washington have had to play. Then of course there was the controversy of a white Jewish director being at the helm of this story. I think he did it justice, it was emotionally and visually stunning, and yes, some stuff was cut/softened, but we don't know that that was Steven. At any rate, very smply put, if there were more black movies to begin with, I don't think as many feathers would have been ruffled.

• Members

I enjoyed today's show of Oprah featuring the cast of "The Color Purple". It was nice seeing them reunited with each other. I think that Akousa Busia (Nettie) and Margaret Avery who played Shug both looked good. And I thought that it was interesting how both Oprah and Whoopi each thought that the other one had an issue with them. But how that turned out not to be true and they were able to reconnect with each other.

• Members

TCP musical that Oprah produced was a huge hit also and it would have been great if she had incorporated that cast into the show as well.

The rumor of Oprah and Whoopi's feud is longstanding so it's surprising that they simply disconnected because they thought the other had a beef with them.

Ray Dawn Chong looks fantastic! Would love to see her in a current project.

• Members

Yes, I would love to see all of them in more projects. Margaret Avery would be great on All My Children. I also thought they'd give Tata vega a shoutout, but they did play her singing throughout.

At any rate, I LOVED today's episode, I wish it was 2 hrs. long. I found myself kind of tuning out the clips from the movie because they always get me all caught up, just seeing and hearing them all after 25 years was more than enough. The Whoopi/Oprah segment was really touching. If I may offer my two cents, I think the "beef" came from folks' reactions to Whoopi's reactions when asked about Oprah. Whoopi doesn't kiss ass and she isn't going to kowtow to the great name of Oprah and act like O is somehow greater than when asked about her, "What was it like seeing the meteoric rise of Oprah out of YOUR movie, TCP?" or what have you. It's like when Star asked Whoopi about filling Rosie's and Meredith's shoes. She wasn't playing that. She said something to the effect of, "I have my own shoes... their shoes will be there [gesturing to the side, honoring their place in the show's history], and I'll bring my own." It may come across as arrogance but I think Whoopi's just one of those people who would rather not play fake humility for the cameras and for the sake of other peoples' egos.

• Members

I saw that yesterday and with OWN in L.A., I wondered why. But then with O Magazine in the city, her best friend Gayle in Greenwich, even one of her network's hosts, Rosie, in Westchester, maybe that's why she's looking to acquire a permanent tristate area residence. My other question is why so damn big?? I really don't think Oprah travels with THAT much of an entourage actually, but maybe it's more of a tax issue. I just cannot imagine having and maintaining a house the size of the one she has in Montecito plus another one of that size on the opposite coast (I know she wouldn't be the first). And I'm not even talking about money, of course that's not an issue, but it all seems mentally taxing to me to have these huge homes to be responsible for and not know what's going on inside every little room, leaving them empty even from time to time. Plus she has other homes (the Chicago penthouse, and I believe she has or had ranches in suburban Illinois/Indiana/Wisconsin, property in Hawaii :wacko: ... I guess you could say she has people to worry about these things for her, but that little incident at her school in Africa, anyone?).

Archived