The Oprah Winfrey Show

YRBB

• Members

A couple of seasons back I went through a period where Oprah irritated me. Now I realize that it wasn't so much her or the content of her shows as it was her studio audience -- many of whom come across as simpering sheep. It's like they need to be told when to go to the bathroom, you know? They seem incapable of thinking for themselves. Like my aunt. Whom I adore and who is a kind, caring person. But she watches Oprah a lot. And anytime something happens on Oprah, that's when my aunt gets interested in something. I'm pretty much 100% certain that she voted for Obama because Oprah told her to. Not that there is anything wrong with that -- I voted for Obama, too -- but I wish she'd been propelled to the ballot box by personal conviction.

And when you have a simpering audience at your feet, is it no wonder that Oprah might be somewhat divorced from real life? I remember when she went on her show to bitch out Hermes in Paris for refusing to open their store after hours for her so that she could shop "in private." I wish I could relate to that kind of trauma but I really can't. I think she's gotten some criticism of that, though, and has certainly "put some water in her wine" since. Her shows seem a little less self-indulgent this season.

At least Judge Judy is still on. My love for her is unconditional. :)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Damn. "Waiting for 'Superman': The Reaction" was one hour of brilliant TV. Jeff Zuckerberg did an amazing thing right there and, on a shallower note, he really is so adorable in his niceness and shyness. I do hope that this sparks some real change because the situation is truly ridiculous.

• Administrator

The story about the Craiglist rape survivor was so hard to watch, especially when she described the rape. And it was her ex-boyfriend setting up the rape on Craiglist. :o But what was even more shocking is that some people sided with the rapist? :blink: It's so scary how social media can be used in this manner.

I really like Newark Mayor Cory Booker and what he's doing with the Newark education system. Loved what he said, "If we keep going left or right, we're never going to move forward." He had another great line too but I can't remember it right now. And Props to Mark Zuckerberg for the $100 million grant. So glad Oprah's bringing awareness about this subject.

• Administrator

It sure was! "WOAH!!!" LMAO I know Jenny's playboy pictures very well. LOL She was so beautiful back then. But I have to say, she still looks good to me. I think I'll always have a soft spot for her. :)

Did you see the Modern Family episode? What an amazing story about the woman who fathered her own child because she used to be man and had her/his sperm frozen before she got the sex change. I was so shocked about her being able to breast feed now because the hormones she was taking - I had no idea that could happen! They are such a cool modern family - married lesbians who are both the biological mother and father of their baby twins. Amazing. And how about the old Oprah clip where the mother and father meet their adopted children from India for the first time. I love seeing moments like that.

• Members

Yes, wouldn't miss it! :lol: I admit I have never seen MF but the "Oprah Effect" made me want to check it out. I guess I will eventually.

What I really loved about that family was how it shattered a lot of (somewhat ignorant) preconceptions a lot of people have, and which we all sometimes fall pray to: It showed that a masculine man, in the army, could be disatisfied with his sex just as much as any "queen" out there. I say that because, often, people are shocked when a masculine man is even gay (they are more quick to think a more feminine man is) let alone when he wants to be a woman. Also, I found her incredibly beautiful and, for me, it was impossible to tell that she used to be a man (which is also another misconception: That tg women are just men with wigs and bad makeup). Sorry to get so heavy, lol, just thought these were some interesting points made by the episode.

• Members

OMG everyone...did you SEE Linda Evans?!

Girlfriend is looking rough and she seems convinced that she looks good. YIKES. She seems at peace with herself though, so props to her for that!

I really enjoyed Cybill Shepherd though, she's a very smart, sharp, dynamic woman.

Teri Hatcher...as usual...lied and lied and lied some more about her face work.

Archived