The Oprah Winfrey Show

YRBB

• Members

I genuinely can't stand Oprah and I totally agree. She flat out asked them what it was like being in direct competition with her and I thought it was really tacky. She looked really smug and full of herself. Montel proceeded to stroke her ego about tracking guests in the parking lot or such nonsense to get the jump on her and she looked like a fat Chesire cat who swallowed the canary. Ricki was the only one who kept it real by saying they had two completely different audiences so she knew her guests would never be on her show. Any more ass kissing from Donahue and his mouth would have been firmly planted on her ass.

As Oprah stated, this is the first time all of them were in the same room together and she had the opportunity to really showcase the diversity of their respective shows and how they all contributed to daytime but it was one freaking Oprah gush fest. Who knew Ricki kept telling herself she was Oprah, wondered what Oprah would say or do; wondered what type of questions Oprah would ask with her own show. Oprah's "awwwwwwww" was pathetic.

The omission of Jenny Jones was glaring - maybe she declined.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I read somewhere that possibly Jenny was asked, but she really didn't want to talk about the whole murder thing, and so she declined. Honestly, I don't think they even asked her simply because of time constraints and the fact that Jenny and Ricki had similar shows.

As much as I love the trashy side of talk shows, and I do indeed love that sh!t, I wish someone would come out with a heavy social issue-driven show again.

• Members

Oh boy, yeah, so they did this show on secret crushes and this guy was brought on only to discover that his secret crush... was a dude. The guy was so humiliated that when they got back home, he murdered the poor man who was crushing on him. :(

• Members

I am really excited for Monday's show, a The Color Purple reunion (I am positive I'm going to choke up, that movie is colored peoples Citizen Kane). But ALSO... Oprah and WHOOPI! one-on-one! There have been rumors of a feud for at least a decade now. They are going to adrress that, and in the promo, Oprah was even in tears about it. :o CAN. HARDLY. WAIT.

As for today's show, wow, how sad. First of all, Marie Osmond looks GREAT. She had some pretty severe-looking work done on her face a while back, but it has settled in and she really looks hotter than she ever has. But oy, Oprah was really circling the airport with the gay question re: her son, it was like, "Oy Oprah, either address the elephant or stop feeding it!" They finally came out (no pun intended) and spoke about it. I thought it was pretty low of Roseanne and company to go off ranting about the kid being gay the day after he'd died. If he was he was (Marie says he wasn't, and I'm sure some will still believe he was just because he was sensitive, loved his mother fiercely, and wanted to go into fashion), but his death wasn't every loud mouth's moment to opine on Latter Day Saints and real or imagined homophobia in his life. his sister is gay as Marie pointed out. That poor kid. I hope he's at peace on the other side. :(

Uhhh, I wanna say three or four years before she was cancelled? Anyone else remember?

• Members

It happened in spring or summer 1995. It was a huge story at the time. AMC fans will remember that this helped inspire Michael Delaney gunning Laurel down on The Cutting Edge.

Her show went on for, like SFK said, about 3-4 years after this, but all the buzz was gone.

• Members

IIRC, the "Secret Crushes" episode of Jenny never aired because the murder took place like three or four days after the taping. The wikipedia article is pretty accurate, I believe. The victim's family sued the producers, and Jenny had to testify. I saw clips of her on the stands on some ETHS-type show, and she looked so, so sad and affected by the whole thing. I'm shocked she recovered to run the show for another eight years.

I'm watching the Osmond show now, but I'm really looking forward to the TCP reunion! Yes indeed, SFK! Me and my friends were born about 4-5 years after it was released, but we would do the ENTIRE "You tol' Harpo t'beat me?" scene in high school for sh!ts and giggles. Fat Oprah was so much fun.

Archived