Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Their faces all look like mannequins - I think what worked on the original Dallas was that Patrick Duffy was pretty but also had a certain rugged quality. Henderson and Metcalfe look like they are too busy getting chemical peels to do anything the Ewings would do.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think Victoria was even approached. I'm still surprised the writers brought back Lucy and Ray. I think campaigning from fans is what even got them back for the pilot. I doubt we see them afterwards, which is a shame.

And it still ticks me off that the writers chose to re-write Rebecca being Cliff and Afton's daughter (she could say they died when they didn't). Though I think a big twist would be that she really turns out to be and was pushed by Cliff to marry into the Ewings. Even though Pam would be Rebecca's aunt, Christopher was adopted so ... no blood ties. Would be a really interesting twist.

• Members

I think the only reason they even brought back Lucy and Ray is because they could hide behind them (briefly) while pruning the show of so many other older characters or characters with history.

Between the casting of department store mannequins and the constant need to push out more of the show's history, it's tough to be invested in this.

• Members

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Kecks-Exclusives-Dallas-1035135.aspx

As the sole journalist invited to Texas for the shooting of TNT's new Dallas pilot, I've had to keep my big mouth shut for two agonizing months as the series awaited an official pick-up. Now that Dallas has finally been ordered to series — premiering in summer 2012 — I can drop a few details about what I saw down at the Southfork Ranch in this continuation of the 1978-1991 prime-time soap.

Ewings new and familiar gather together for the wedding of Bobby's son Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe) to the lovely Rebecca (Julie Gonzalo). Though no one ends up in the pool, John Ross (Josh Henderson) comes to blows with his righteous cousin Christopher just as their daddies, J.R. (Larry Hagman) and Bobby (Patrick Duffy), did way back when. Meanwhile, Linda Gray, who's back as J.R.'s ex, says, "Sue Ellen has a fabulous white sports car but no place to live. I want a condo with a view overlooking Southfork so I can keep an eye on J.R.!"

Speaking of J.R., he won't be joining Bobby, Lucy (Charlene Tilton) and Ray (Steve Kanaly) at the wedding. You'll have to wait to find out where he is, but perhaps J.R. was wise to skip the nups. After the "I do's," exec producer Cynthia Cidre cracked, "All marriages at Southfork are cursed!" I have a suspicion J.R.'s old nemesis Cliff Barnes may be behind the union!

• Members

Co-sign on all the Metcalfe talk. While I think Henderson does have the potential to be good, and even looks the part, I don't get the same feeling for Metcalfe. I really hope he's not as bad as I think he will be because yopu simply cannot have Christopher freakin' Ewing acted by a bad actor. It just cannot happen.

I'll keep my excitement on a moderate level lol I would love for this to be good and long running but I'm not going to hold my breath. Cidre disappointed me with CANE but I did see potential in that as well. So, who knows. Maybe if David Paulsen is still writing he can join the team :D

• Members

To my knowledge, the original script she was Pamela Rebecca, but they re-wrote it so she's Rebecca Sutter, an unrelated character. The original script had Cliff appearing and Afton had gone mad. In the press releases her last name is still listed as Sutter, not Barnes so we'll see. It's possible they can go back and make her Pamela Rebecca Barnes again, but I think some of her family members are included in the pilot.

Archived