Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I think Knots would be the easiest to remake in the sense that its model is the blankest of slates. Imagine the opening sequence where we zoom in on our bird's eye view of the familiar cul-de-sac and suddenly we spin around and zoom in on another cul-de-sac across the street. You could fill those houses with any number of couple combinations with or without incorporating characters from the original series. Knots had extremely memorable and popular characters but the average Joe has no J.R. or Alexis to identify the show with. Of course completely ignoring characters from the original series would be a slap in the face and you might as well create a new show in a townhouse community or something, my point is, the skeleton of Knots is the easiest to fill with new and interesting stories that aren't so tethered to a time period or iconography... of all the 80s primetime soaps, Knots is the one that could have still been running all these years like a British soap.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Right. Knots is the one I would go with precisely because it's a blank slate, and suburban decay is something a lot of people can relate to. It would be fascinating to see real people living in a "nice" area who are losing more and more of their money and have to do more and more things to get by. Yet you could also have friendships, humor, family.

The problem with shows that are revived solely on name value is they often don't go anywhere beyond the hype. Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, among others. And it seems like this Dallas, from rewrites to dud casting, has little to do with the original anyway.

• Members

David Jacobs said at the TV Land Awards a few years ago that he'd love to update Knots for today's world with a gay couple on the cul-de-sac, more minority representation, etc. I'd be interested in seeing that because it'd be hard to not make it look like a Benetton advertisement. I wonder, if he's actually kicked ideas around in his head just for fun, who he thinks would still be living in Seaview Circle 14 years later. I somehow picture Karen just owning all of the houses on the street and turning them into her own personal musical theaters.

• Members

I'd love that too, although it wouldn't ever happen (and if "gay couple" ends up being the stereotype-laden nothingness of Desperate Housewives gays, why bother). I just wish they could use some of the old characters one last time, as I think many are still viable, even in supporting roles.

• Members

*muffled late night laughter*

I'd be curious to see what DJ would come up with too. If he of all people can't be trusted with reviving the show, I don't know who can. I have a real allergy for corny fanfic-like stuff, I don't like it on OLTL and I am afraid of seeing it on the Dallas reboot and perhaps the Dynasty one too if that takes off. I would especially hate to see that for Knots which was the smartest of them all and really has nothing to live up to besides story excellence. I know that sounds dumb but I mean that they don't have the task of creating the next J.R./Alexis, they just have to create interesting couples with interesting probloems and that should NOT be hard for any writer who calls him or herself a writer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/dallas-tnt-brenda-strong-ann-ewing/

Brenda Strong appears to have a Wisteria Lane-South Fork commute ahead of her, having been cast on TNT’s Dallas. The alumna of ABC’s yet-to-be-renewed Desperate Housewives (where she narrates as the late Mary Alice Young) has landed the role of Bobby Ewing’s new wife, Ann, TVLine has learned.

Archived