Larry Keith (ex-Nick Davis, AMC) passed away

• Members

Carolyn Hinsey just posted on her Facebook page that "All My Children" legendary actor, Larry Keith passed away this morning. He died of cancer and was 79.

He played a crook, Lefty Burns on "Another World" from 1967-1968 with a guest appearance in mid-1969 before joining the original cast of "All My Children" in January 1970. He remained on he role of Phil Brent's biological father until 1978 and made several guest appearances throughout the years until 2005.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not Nick :(

I was not watching AMC during Nick's heyday, but when I first saw him on Daytime to Remember, I was quickly charmed by him. His smile, his knowing laugh, his compassion, but most of all his tough talk with Erica. I think in many ways Nick loved Erica more than anyone ever did, and he also understood her, which is one of the reasons why he kept some distance, because she needed someone like him to sit her down and try to talk sense to her.

Nick was a special character in a genre which no longer sees his type of presence as important. And Larry Keith was fantastic, he had such great chemistry with Frances Heflin and Susan Lucci. Even when he would just show up for one or two episodes every few years (if that) he still got right back into it. The scenes where Nick and Mark showed up after Bianca woke up from her coma are probably the last completely happy, family moments I can remember on AMC.

Larry was such an important part of establishing Agnes Nixon's vision for daytime drama, and was such a comfort to generations of viewers. He'll be missed.

• Members

wow, how sad. I wasn't watching in the early 70s, but I do remember him returning for a time in the early 80s. There was a period where he appeared sort of semi regularly, some extended visit from Chicago or something. 69 is not that old by today's standards, it just sucks. I doubt they will mention this considering how long ago it was he was a regular on the show.

• Members

I know they might think he's a part of the past and they have already had a number of tributes in recent years for those who have passed on, but since he was on the show up to 2005 and was there for the very end of Bianca getting Miranda back and waking up from her coma, I hope they might realize some recent viewers might know him. He was an important part of Erica's life and considering how few roots Erica has left I hope this one won't be forgotten. It wouldn't even take much, just a brief mention, surely they could at least do that.

• Members

Nick Davis came back several times after he left the main cast in 1978:

- 1983-1984: In Chicago, Nick got a call from a frantic Mona. Erica was on the run for the murder of Kent Bogard. Nick came back to Pine Valley to support Mona and hopefully get Erica out of her predicament. Before they could meet in secret, Erica was discovered. Nick remained through the trial until Erica was exonerated for the murder.

- 1988: Nick arrived in Pine Valley on the eve of Bianca Montgomery’s birth. He wanted to witness the birth of the next generation of Kane women.

- 1991: It was Ruth who prompted Nick’s next visit to Pine Valley. Erica was now engaged to his grandson, Charlie Brent. Surprising Erica, he confronted her at a Martin family dinner about her true intentions. After all, she had already romanced Charlie’s grandfather, and at one time was ever married to his father. Nick asked Erica if she loved Charlie, but she could not answer. Nick succeeded in breaking up their engagement.

- 1993: As Erica was set to marry Dimitri Marick, Mona revealed to Nick a long kept secret. When Erica was 14, she was raped by one of Eric Kane’s actor friends, Richard Fields. Erica gave birth to a child that Mona put up for adoption. That child was Kendall Hart, Erica’s new executive assistant. Nick stood by Erica as she faced the demons of her past on the eve of what was to be the best day of her life.

- 1994: Nick returned to Pine Valley when Mona was diagnosed with cancer. On the night of the surgery, Nick promised to care for Mona if anything happened to her. Nick was at ease when Mona made her way out of the surgery with a clean bill of health.

A few months later, Mona died peacefully in her sleep. Nick returned to Pine Valley to say goodbye to his old friend and stay true to his promise.

- 1995: Nick attended the Martin family housewarming. Nick tried to comfort Ruth, who had sunk into a deep depression after the destruction of her home. Nick and Ruth spent the evening reminiscing about Tara and Phil’s tumultuous courtship.

- 2005: Nick surprised the Kane women after Bianca was reunited with her daughter, Miranda Montgomery. He had in his possession a special note from Mona, to be given to Bianca upon the birth of her first child.

• Members

RIP! I was so surprised and glad when they announced he'd be on the 35th anniversary episode, and that scene was just perfect. Erica there with her current man Jack, her brother Mark, and her "good, good friend" Nick, as well as her daughter Bianca. Not to mention Mona being there in spirit and on paper. Great, great scene.

I hope they do throw a mention in there. It's a little painful to realize that no one else from his time on the show is still around, but that episode established that Bianca had some sort of relationship with Nick, so

, she can mention to Tad or maybe Opal that Erica called and told her the bad news.

Where is Nick supposed to be at these days anyway?

ETA: FrenchFan, I think you might have made a typo in your original post. IMDb says he was 79 this year, which should be about right. If he was 69, that would have made him only five years older than Looch, which we know isn't possible.

• Members

Ah man, that reading was just excellent. The background music was perfect and just conveyed this sense of reverence and strength and pride. Love, love, love it. And so sad seeing all of those faces that are no longer on the show. AMC's lost a good bit of historical connections over the last couple of years with the deaths of Myrtle, Phoebe, and Palmer, and the departures of Brooke, Joe, and Ruth. I like where the show is now because it still is built on that foundation, but it just seems like there's a lot missing. I mean, in that first clip alone, you had mentions of Charles Tyler and the fact that Nick was originally written as a dance instructor. Not beat-over-your-head "nods to history" but organic allusions to the old school days. Good stuff.

I want Mark back, at least recurring, SO BAD!! With Mona and Myrtle gone, Erica needs someone in her life who was there way back when and really knows to get a handle on her.

Archived