Will ABC Daytime Cut 20 Scripted Episodes Per Year, Per Soap?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seems like it. Guarantees and salaries as a whole would have to be reduced. It occurred to me that this would mean even more of the usual suspects and less airtime for the supporting characters. The supporting actors would likely lose all their guarantees. I hope these actors as well as the crew are being careful with their money.

• Members

Yeah, "promote" is a poor word choice if that's coming from ABC, even if it's the truth (what horrible thinking). There's a difference between "promoted couples" and "fan favorites", and I am of course hoping that it's the latter. If I am watching ABCD in the first place, I don't need anyone BTS working overtime to make me a fan of anyone, I am already a fan or I'm not if I'm already watching these shows. AGAIN, just who are these mythical would-be fans that the networks are chasing?? No one who doesn't watch soaps is going to tune in on some random Friday rerun day and jump on the Rylee, Maxinelli whatever the [!@#$%^&*] bandwagon.

• Members

I would definitely recommend ABC look into using five of those 20 episodes they are cutting from the year to take a hiatus during the week of the regional NCAA playoffs that may/may not affect local pre-emptions. The SEC tourney this past March annoyed the piss out of me because it came with no warning at all that my soaps were getting cut into Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday that week. And no doubt that affected ratings too. And if CBS was smart, they would scale back on Y&R and B&B not only the week before, but the week of. Take two weeks off for this stuff(putting classic episodes on the week before in case of regional pre-emptions) and taking the whole week off for the actual NCAA Tourney, with more games and more wall-to-wall coverage.

Cutting back episodes may not be a bad thing, at least for the viewer.

• Members

The current ABC soaps would not be able to take on a production schedule like PC had towards the end, shooting a years worth of episodes in 6 months and taking 6 months off. It worked fine for the 30 minute format but with an hour long format it would just not be possible. The only way they could save on budget by altering the production schedule would be to do what DAYS does and shut down production for 15/16 weeks a year.

• Members

I am OK with this as well as long as they aren't reairing shows that just aired last month or last year.

If people wanted to watch these 'couples' they are trying to promote, they'd already be watching.

I'd much rather it be 'classic' episodes in the truest form. Like Judith Light's episodes on the witness stand as Karen on OL (since I never watched the first time) or even 'promote' episodes that feature Demi Moore's days on GH or Ryan Phillippe on OL. SOMETHING that might get non-regular viewers to take a peek.

• Members

I think that 4-hour long shows a week could work. I definitely prefer this to any of the soaps getting cancelled. And I think this type of scheduling could work better than just showing random older episodes sometimes. I would like them to keep the shows an hour.

I've concerned if they go to 30 minutes, we are going to see even less of certain characters that they are barely showing now.

I think they might try to cram in as much airtime in for the airhogs of these shows because they have less time for each show. And we won't get to see as much as other characters. Plus I have always liked that a lot of soaps are one hour.

I wish they would show real classic episodes like stuff from the 80's and 90's. I like the daytime to remember episodes. And I remember when CBS used to air classic episodes from the 80's and 90's during the Holidays. It was always fun watching those shows.

I do think that we might get stuck with some "2004 Rylee mess" type of episodes but that's still better than having one of the shows cancelled.

Archived