2010 World Cup

Toups

• Administrator

Anyone else watching? It's been a compelling tournament so far: the dramatic USA team, the huge upset with Italy (the defending champs) getting knocked out, and the embarrassing situation with France.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I took great joy in seeing France get kicked out since I loathe Domenech. I feel bad for Italy but it's the name of the game.

I hope England wins, the nation deserves it after so many years.

I'm personally not impressed with the World cup this year. First off I hate the damn vuvuzuelas and I do think the tournament is always better when it's held in Europe although I loved the world cup in 94.

• Members

Of course I'm watching. I'm a football freak. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for England like always and I was really glad to see Italy go! Can't stand how they're acting when someone get a tiny push... then they fall ike they've been shot or something. Zambrotta is basically the only one I like.

I'm really glad Chile moved on yesterday, although many South American teams has that seem spirit as the Italian team. It's a shame they managed to a red card for the oposite team when it was all faking. Can't stand it. Cristiano Ronaldo is the master of faking, oh and a cry baby.

France. Were to begin. They've embarrassed themselves. Domenech couldn't even shake hands with SA's Parreira after their last game. What a lack of sportsmanship. After all that had happend, atleast he could've showed his team how a leader should act.

It was sad to see Nigeria go. They sure had some bad luck. Lars Lagerback did such a great job preparing the team in the short period of time he had with them before the World cup started, only a couple of months.

I would've liked the Côte d'Ivoire through too. Sven-Goran was an inspiration to this team. This team was damaged before with all their differences that had to do with different religions and stuff. If they would've moved on it would've had such a good impact on the country itself.

I would've loved to have South Korea through, but Uruguay has been great too. I was cheering so bad for the US team today. They sure did deserve to move on. Ghana has done a great this far, and it's great for the tournament to have them moving on to the quater finals. Kingson saved them today. What a keeper!

Between the Netherlands and Slovakia, I want Netherlands moving on for sure.

Brasil and Chile? I expect nothing else but Brasil moving on.

Argentina vs Mexico. Argentina without any doubt. If Englnd doesn't win, I'm cheering for Argentina.

Paraguay vs Japan. I want japan in the quater finals!

Spain vs Portugal. Spain for sure.

Germany vs England. Well I can't stand Germany, always hated them with a passion. But England is "my team" so ofcourse I want them through to the QF. This one will be a tough match though. I'm nerves already!!

Edit: And I HATE those d*mn vuvuzuelas!!! The Brittish fans were the only supporters that managed to shout them down.

• Administrator

England was robbed of that goalline goal. It wasn't even close. There needs to be instant replay or put a goal judge in. Sure England's defence wasn't very good but England got screwed. Playing a 2-2 game is different from a 2-1 game.

Too bad soccer fever is over in the US. I liked hearing all the soccer talk on sports radio.

• Members
What a freakin shame! It was clearly a goal for England. There's no words to describe it. Blatter needs to do some thinking when this World Cup is over. He needs to stop being so damn stuck in the old ages. It's 2010, not 1910 for crying out loud. I had the door to the terrass open and you could just hear the screams from people all around.

And Most definatly Toups. 2-2 would've made a huge difference for England. I'm not saying Germany would't have scrored again. But it would've been a different game for sure.

The assistant ref was shown the goal after the first half. His reaction was:

- OH MY GOD!

So he's not getting any sleep tonight.

I don't care if it's a team who's not a favourite of mine. It's ALWAYS a shame to see a huge mistake from the ref like the ones we saw today. The England-Germany game was at a turning point. England were working their way up, and a stupid thing like that kind of puts the light out.

(Tevez first goal was the most obvious offside I've seen in a very long time, can't believe Rosetti & co missed that one.)

Barry and Upson (nice goal though) was an embarrassment today. Espcially Barry. It was like someone was dragging him from behind. I mean, what the h*ll!! I can't believe Capello put Milner on the bench instead of Barry. Milner was just starting to get into the game. Capello should've benched Barry and put Joe Cole in the middle. Without any doubt.

Oh, and what the h*ll was Rooney up to today... again?

England started with some awful games. I don't think I've ever seen them "play" such poor football in my life. But the previous game was brillaint, and the 1st half today was more then ok. They were starting to get that enormous pressure from... well from everyone off their shoulders.

Oh well, [!@#$%^&*] happens. And it usually happens when England are playing the World Cup. lol I was atleast expecting them to play the QF.

I'm soooo glad Argentina won though!!! What a goal from Carlos Teves! Awesome!!!! He barely made the team and he's done a fantastic tournament this far. It's so much fun to see him on the field.

• Members

Wow, I'm so impressed by the Dutch team. And I haven't really been that impressed by the Brasilians this time around. Sure, they have teir moments... Kaka, Robinho etc are sparkeling at times. But imo the right team went through. Plus it was so unexpected.

Uruguay - Ghana. What can I say... I REALLY wanted Ghana through. They would've been the first African team in the semi finals ever! To get there they have to be able score under pressure, but they couldn't. Asamoah Gyan had the chance of a lifetime to win the game with that first penalty. (Glad he got the 2nd one right though.) And then later to put a 20 year old guy as a penalty kicker was imo a bad call. He seemed extremely uncomfortable, and that penatly was one of the worst I've seen in a long time. The keeper had almost already passed the ball, but was able to save it anyway, that's how slow it went. Gyan is gonna have a hard couple of days ahead of him. This can't be easy for the team, but especially for him... it's gonna be hard. He could've won the game for the whole continent. It's a pretty big deal for a place like Africa. :(

On the other hand, out of all the South american teams I wanted Uruguay to go far in this tournament. Forlan is a fantastic player... what a goal today. So congrats to Uruguay!

Actually his name is Ricardo Izecson dos Santos Leite. His younger brother couldn't say Ricardo when he was little, so he used to say "Caca" instead. The Brasilains usually goes by nicknames, so Caca became Kaká. :)

• Administrator

What and ending to the Ghana/Uruguay match! I've never seen anything like that in a soccer game before. My reaction was, "Oh my God, what a save!!!......HAND BALL!" LOL I cannot believe Gyan missed that penalty kick to win the game. I feel so bad for him. He's not going to have a good night sleep for a very long time. And yeah, the last two shootout kicks by Ghana were so bad. I really think soccer rules should be changed. It's so stupid that a defender, at the goal line, can use his hands to save the ball that's obviously going in (sure there's a penalty kick afterwards but it's a sure thing they're going to score). I think the goal SHOULD count.

I'm rooting for the Dutch to reach the final now - Uruguay doesn't deserve to be there after that hand ball.

• Members

I'm rooting for Holland as well. If Argentina wins and I will have to be subjected to Maradona raising the trophe I will scream. I hate him, hateeee him!!!!!!! Fantastic player but lousy human being.

ETA: damn those germans, holy sh...

Archived