Interracial relationships in soaps

• Members

Wait. What?

There was no "how high".

If it helps you sleep at night to believe the "High Black Vote" was Gay Marriage's enemy that's on you.

Don't even bother with it Carl.

That post was a perfect example of why race is, was & always will be a problem.

+1.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah. But I can easily imagine a couple of racist f***kheads using it as an excuse, even to the point of citing potential marketing problems. Dress it up and call it an unfortunate business decision. And then of course patting themselves on the back later when the trial started and racial tensions were more evident.

Totally disregarding all that white bread Mormon money that financed it. (Prop 8)

• Members

I forgot to mention the disgrace that is to watch Renee Jones on DAYS, she barely gets airtime, she is tied to down to boring 'ol Abe, and they never give her story. She is Stefano [!@#$%^&*] DiMera's daughter, yet she just sits on the sidelines. She has lots of chemistry with her male co-stars, but nope TPTB wont let it happen. So many things and so many places to take that characterl, but DAYS wants to keep their token black couple together, so it will never happen.

• Members

On AMC I only saw a few potential interracial SLs this past 3 yrs. I'm sorry but Frankie/Madison are just no...I just would never be able to buy that and w/ characters like Scott, Ryan, JR hangin in PV, where she came from? even the BFFs is hard to buy but SG sells it.

Anyway

Colby/Dre would have awesome to watch, they had the could have went from friends to lovers vibe, Sterling Sulieman was wasted on Yaya Dacosta's annoying voiced, beedy eyes ass. :mad:

Scott/Randi, I still remember that scene where he was hitting on her and now DV got better so this should be attempted again Scott/Randi/Frankie that would be a very interesting dynamic to watch unfold.

Natalia should have been w/ a Chandler, she could have been w/ Scott, heck she could have even been w/ JR and made for a better SL because for the life of me why do I have to watch Jacob Young's hot UNF ass wasted on Brittany 'would you pass the cookies&milk' Allen.

• Members

Something else which still annoys me with ATWT is that they had Bonnie in this romance with Dusty, which was barely seen, then they had Bonnie ushered out of town because they said Dusty would never get over Jennifer. That was Jessica's likely last EVER appearance on the show, and probably Bonnie's too. And yet in no time at all after that, probably weeks, Dusty was in love with Janet and it was "Jennifer who?"

I guess some might say it's better for a soap to be honest about their lack of interest in diversity than to pretend otherwise, but to just throw away Bonnie, and Jade, to have nothing more than a sullen Montegan son of Craig's who has been oncamera for about a minute, that's a sad way to leave the airwaves, especially after ATWT made such efforts starting 25 years ago to integrate Oakdale.

• Members

The soaps would never let anyone know they were dismissing a character because of race (as a good chunk of viewers are minorities), but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened before.

As for the gay marriage think, don't blame Blacks for that, the blame lies with Social Conservatives and Liberals who say one thing in public and do another in the voting booth. There's no way Prop. 8 passed in California without some of the progressive liberals out here supporting it.

• Members

Based on what I know about prop 8 it sounds like one of the reasons it passed was that its proponents were very effective at mobilizing and getting opponents of gay marriage to get out and vote while a lot of progressive people stayed home.

I thought it looked like they were heading for Frankie/Madison for a little while. I could've bought them. More than I buy the chemistry free Frankie/Randi pairing.

• Members

After what she did to that family? do the Hubbards really need this? and it's not like she would be longterm w/ Frankie, ppl want her to be the snobby girl she was when she first walked in...she likely cheats on him and moves on to the Chandlers or whoever is flavor of the mth. Denise Vasi eversince being bumped to support has actually shown some chops, I'm starting to enjoy her in the limited role.

Archived