Interracial relationships in soaps

• Members

Actually according to Steve two predated it. He has a list of the first 3 Interracial Romances in Daytime:

1) Mia Elliott, Paul Bradley & Jim Abbott (Love Is A Many Splendored Thing) - 1967 (Asian/White)

2) Carla Bernudi/Gray & Jim Craig (One Life To Live) - 1968 (black lady pretending to be white)

3) David Banning/Valerie Grant (Days of Our Lives) - 1975 (black/white)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of my favorite interracial relationships was Fox and Whitney on Passions. I loved them together and loved how Fox pined over her for a long time. But the writers on Passions messed that up and put her with Chad who they made her related to. I think they messed up something that could have been really good with Fox/Whitney.

I also liked Cody/Lainey on GH Nightshift/GH and would have liked to see something happen between them. For a while it did look like something was going to happen with them but it was dropped. I thought they had nice chemistry together.

• Members
I was rooting for Destiny and Matthew because they actually took the time to build a relationship with them... it wasn't some instant thing... once the Danielle character made it to the screen and Matthew was instantly in love, I called foul because it seemed that Destiny didn't stand a chance once the PYWT came along... now, I am happy with Darren for a lot of reasons but I am on the edge of my seat wondering if they are going to have Destiny still having those kinds of feelings for Matthew or are they going to devote some time in showing Destiny and Darren's relationship growing so that, on paper, Darren is someone Destiny would develop feelings for that match or outshine her feelings for Matthew... I don't want Matthew to be seen as the "better" choice over Darren because right now, I don't trust that Destiny would be Matthew's first choice... as has been shown in the past, Destiny was/and may still be Matthew's default choice when the girl he likes isn't interested in him... I want to see Darren being the better choice for Destiny because of the way they introduced Darren... he was crazy about Destiny as she was... bossy and all... she was his first choice.

oh I hate I missed that! :lol:

Once Danielle came on the scene and with the speed at which they had Matthew falling for her, I did come to think Destiny/Matthew even after all that build up were never going to be... and I wondered why they had Destiny go there with her feelings... why didn't they just leave it at Destiny loving Matthew as a friend aka Destiny and Matthew being this generation's Jenny and Jesse...

I like Darren and wish they would take the time to develop him into more but I am not hoping out a lot of hope for that.

This thought crossed my mind while watching Thursday's show... Destiny was there "tending" to poor Matthew instead of being with Darren... and then both of them, Destiny and Darren, were there ready to meet Matthew's needs... while I love the friendship angle and the fact that friends do sacrifice for friends, I need to see equity here because by and large its Destiny (and now maybe Darren) who is the one giving/supporting and Matthew the one taking/being supported.

You just don't know how much I want you to be wrong! :lol:

I tend to agree and this is why, if they do put Destiny with Matthew that I think Destiny will always be "second" choice for Matthew... it may be subtle but that will always be in my mind and that is another reason that, while I love Destiny and Matthew's relationship, I want them to remain BFF (like Jenny and Jesse) and want to see Destiny with a developed Darren...

Am I asking too much :unsure:

• Members

After the relationship barely being seen, they suddenly had Jessica show up to tell Bonnie that Dusty would never get over Jennifer. Bonnie said that wasn't true, but when she asked Dusty about a relationship, he wasn't interested in anything serious. Bonnie then left town. Almost overnight, Dusty suddenly forgot Jen and chased after Janet.

• Members

I'm still mad after they recast Paul with RH, ATWT act like they wasn't writing a love connection with Bonnie & Paul. I was waiting for Bonnie & Paul love story. then they brought in Real Andrews & had Bonnie in his face. Then the next thing I know he's gone. Bonnie leaves with Isaac.

Anyway, I stop watching after they did that with Bonnie & Paul.

• Members

I remember a few months ago, Cameron Mathison, Michael E Knight and Vincent Irizary were on the View promoting AMC's move to LA. Whoopi asked them why none of their characters have ever been with a black woman and when would they. The stage got silent and they had no idea how to respond and that moment was rather awkward

• Members

The Grants were a major part of Days, as well as the carvers, I remember they gave Abe a mother at one point in time and Carrie and Jonah were besties when Bumper Robinson was in the role. Val Grant's brother was best buds with Abe I think and he was a little flambonant if I remember correctly. Not many upstand african american or asian american families on tv. I would love to see Keemo Abbott back in Genoa City

Archived