Degrassi: The Next Generation

• Members

Yes, I made sure to tune in for Sean's guest appearance. At the time, I didn't think it would be his *last* appearance simply because I didn't foresee them just moving way past the original group of characters, but I thought the military angle was perfect for him.

I couldn't agree with you more in regards to the show's sensitivity and the close attention they paid to milking the characters' emotions for all they were worth. It was so old-fashioned in that way, complete with those awesome freeze frame endings. Even when it wasn't fully serialized like it has been in recent seasons, you always knew that a character's big, freeze frame smile at the end of the episode didn't mean that particular story was over. Meanwhile, you always knew whenever we got a tight close-up of someone's distraught face that he or she would be suffering for a while.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It caught on pretty quickly in the US, but I'm not sure I'd say it ever became a mainstream hit here. It was HUGE for The-N, obviously, but it didn't enter the public consciousness like other teen dramas have. It's not a show that every 20something in the US can reminisce about.

Still, I think you're onto something, though. The bigger it got, there was clearly more of an effort to assimilate with other teen dramas, and that, coupled with the botched departure of the original crew, marked a shift in style and tone that alienated the original audience and didn't resonate with the new audience as well as the earlier seasons had with us.

I've already said it, but I'll say it again. For me, just the sheer number of useless characters that they added in was overwhelming and turned me off. I look at some of those opening credits sequences from seasons that I KNOW I somewhat followed (like 9-10), and I have not a single clue who some of those people are.

• Members

I really wish they'd do a proper reunion with the most of the original/best TNG cast, even if it's not a real reunion and they're back at Degrassi for some stupid ceremony celebrating the school or something...

Hopefully, they'll be able to rejuvenate show a little with its new move, and hopefully they won't be switching networks every year in Canada again...

Speaking of the old cast, I heard that Spinner appeared in the current season for a few minutes of one episode, and there's a clip of Miriam McDonald visiting the set and surprising Stefan Brogren from earlier this season as well.

2:10 in:

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I had a good laugh at the person in the comments section who was outraged at TNG being used for anything but Star Trek The Next Generation. No wonder sci-fi fans are such easy targets for parody.

I think beyond that Lifetime thing Dylan Everett's two Supernatural episodes probably didn't hurt either. It has a very loyal fanbase, and most of the time they hate any guest stars or new actors. He was an exception.

Will Family Channel water down content?

• Members

I think Degrassi is primarily funded by the Canadian government for "educational and social purposes" - whatever the hell that means.

This typically means they're immune from a lot of outside interference, and I believe DXH Media, the company that produces the show, also owns the Family Channel.

• Members

Per Stephen Stohn on Twitter, the old episodes of TNG won't be on Netflix yet, that deal is still being worked out and they don't want to confuse a potential new audience with having the new and old episodes available at the same time.

It's probably more like they don't want a potential new audience to see how much more superior the early seasons were...