Toups

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

CBS’s DAYTIME GAME SHOWS CONTINUE TO POST RATINGS GAINS

“The Price is Right” Up in Viewers and Key Demographics

“Let’s Make a Deal” Audience Grows 12% Over Year-Ago Time Period

CBS’s daytime game shows—THE PRICE IS RIGHT and LET’S MAKE A DEAL— continue to post ratings gains compared to a year ago, according to Nielsen most current ratings through the week ending Feb. 14.

THE PRICE IS RIGHT is up season-to-date +12% in viewers (5.03m from. 4.51m), +15% in women 25-54 (1.5/09 from 1.3/08) and +18% in adults 25-54 (1.3/09 from 1.1/08).

LET’S MAKE A DEAL is up +12% in viewers (2.42m from 2.16m) and +20% in women 18-34 (0.6/07 from 0.5/07) this season compared to comparable weeks last year (“Guiding Light”).

LMAD is produced at less cost than GL, The show is getting higher numbers in the most desired demo, women 18-34, which will mean higher revenues to go with the lower costs. Soaps just can't compete with this.

• Members

I think they could, if they were taken more seriously. If networks really looked at them as assets to the network, instead of the "dying genre" that they seem to like to call it, soaps could really be revitalized.

Would they ever be what they once were? Probably not...But with some promotion, and networks realizing that soap operas are what helped MAKE TV what it is, soaps could resurge to popularity

• Members

I agree to some extent, though my biggest pet peeve is when they rush a story too much and it ends before you really get into it. Those are the ones that make me even wonder why they were included.

I am trying so hard not to get attached to ATWT, because I know it's ending and I will be said...But I really liked it these past couple weeks.

• Members

The last time when B&B dropped 3rd place was in May 2005 and OLTL has overtake B&B and has HUGE GAINS from #5 to #2. Dena Higley was a Head Writer during that time and I think she is most improved and successful Soap writer. She let TWO Soaps to get to #2 and especially OLTL when it's very rare to become a Top ABC Soap.

As for B&B, this show was unbeatable at #2 for 4.5 years. We thought B&B will stay at #2 for ETERNITY and I waited less than a year to see DAYS at #2 and it came true and i'm proud of it.

• Members

There's nothing you can pin it on other then the fact that stories have improved and the general audience has followed. If you look at this week's ratings, you'll see that Days had a huge increase in male viewers, which basically accounted for half of their increase last week. It's not something you can really read into because the circumstances of each week are different. But if I had to speculate on a potential reason, I'd say that it could be related to the availability of the show online (NBC.com and Hulu), which is how the younger generation watches tv these days. I'm not sure of the availability of other soaps online. But apparently Days gets a fair number of views just on NBC.com alone. Fact is, we'll never know for sure. But I don't think it has anything to do with retirees.

Archived