February 8-12, 2010

Toups

• Members

Sony has nothing to do with B&B, it is solely owned and operated by the Bells.

With that said, I could see the show going online and being distributed internationally...or finding a place on cable. It's the last of the 30 minute soaps and it could be the first to go online.

Only time will tell.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow...B&B and World Turns seem to share the same viewers and have both crashed over the last five years. Considering that B&B precedes World in the east as well as in many other markets, Bill Bell sort of doomed ATWT--this isn't to say Goutman didn't wreck the show. Since the two show's fates seem pretty linked, B&B will be done on CBS by 2013. Within 2 years, B&B will be lucky to rate a 2.1 if the trends remain the same. I am shocked that B&B isn't holding more Y&R viewers considering they share cast and actors.

People can trash Y&R all they want but the show has held pretty steady in the ratings over the last five years. The fact that they show ranks in the top 30 in Canada is outstanding. I bet Y&R would thrive on the CW in primetime 5 nights a week and be the network's highest rated show. I'm starting to think the best hope for soaps would be a move into primetime on either CW or MY Network because more people are at home during those hours watching television. Both networks are failing anyway a change in direction might be good.

• Members

That won't work, the CW is chasing a teen demo.The soaps skew older than what that network is looking for. Why would we want it on MY Network Tv? I think soaps are fine where they are. Moving it to the CW, would alienate the little bit of audience that soaps still have left. It wouldn't work IMO.

Y&R is such a consistent soap ratings wise, I can see that show going for a long while. They have been pulling in the same amount of viewers more or less, for most of this decade. Meanwhile the other soaps have lost millions.

• Members

I've always looked at the fates of Y&R and B&B and linked; however, after looking at the number and trends, it is really that B&B and World share primarly the same viewership.

One should wonder how the end of World will effect B&B ratings. These viewers, especially in the east, have been watching a 1.5 hour block of programming. Will they still show up daily for 30 minutes of Bold with so many other tv options out there?

• Members

I have always thought the CW would be wise to launch a soap opera. Clearly, the teen targeting isnt working, and it would be a fresh start. A show on the CW wouldnt be EXPECTED to get the ratings major networks expect, and it would be a completely clean slate.

Even if they did something like Passions final year and only did 3 or 4 epis a week, with re-airings in primetime, the show could thrive.

• Members

CW would score a higher 18-49 demo with Y&R in prime time than they are with any of the current offerings. Also, its logical to expect Y&R ratings to rise during prime time because their is a larger audience. CW, as it stands now, is dommed, barely braking even. A 4 night a week soap would provide a decent revenue stream. Also, maybe it is time for TPTB to explore new methods of programming for 'mini-networks' that might thrive if the find a niche.

They could air a sexier, amped-up Y&R at 8pm followed by their four highest-rated shows at 9pm. B&B would never make it with the poor demos, same is true of World. I could see Days or GH maybe making the cut. A move like this would get CW the female viewers and demos they want and, since it is owned by CBS, a Y&R move would be easy.

Back to B&B--Bell must be freaked out by the end of WOrld Turns considering they share the same viewers and have lost almost an equal percentage of ratings over the last five years. By dropping the ball with B&B, Bill Bell killed As the World Turns. As fans defected from B&B, they never flipped their TV back to CBS at 2pm est for ATWT. A damaged lead in pushed a weak ATWT over the edge. Bell is the ultimate soap killer!

• Members

I don't get your premise. B&B and ATWT linked? In the east, B&B follows Y&R. When Y&R is on a ratings upswing, B&B generally benefits. But this isn't always true. There are times when Y&R goes down and B&B goes up. World Turns and GL were much more linked. I don't think ATWT being cancelled is going to impact B&B in the least.

Archived