Y&R: Episode discussion, Week of January 25, 2010

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what I remember being written. Maybe CBS should have slipped the note to Maria instead of Micheal so that we could know wtf is going on.

And what the hell is up with Lauren. After all the psychos she's attracted, the only storyline that made sense for her was agoraphobia, not inviting all strangers into her life and home.

• Members

Seriously. What right does she have to call Jill 'white trash'. From her past, Katherine's pretty white trash herself.

Nikki comes off more and more annoying. I get that she's Katherine's friend and trying to protect her, but kicking Jill out of her own house was infuriating. Ashley and Jill are better women than I am. I would have slapped Nikki by now.

• Members

I don't think today was Katherine-propping. Indeed, Kay's unjust rush to judgment (and Nikki's egging her on)--I think--were meant to restore some balance in the Jill-Kay relationship. They BOTH wrong each other. I this case, Jill's wrong was to conceal her Tucker relationship. Kay's (much greater) wrong is to leap to judgment where Jill is concerned. Now, Jill will react aggressively to Kay's lack of trust. And the feud is off...

What I always loved about the feud is that they were BOTH wrong. It feels like we're going back to that. The dialogue was just delicious for this long-time fan!

That was some classic sh!t!! It is interesting that may now also be trying to complicate Cane's relationship with Jill...adding a bit of a schism. And praise heaven for that classic music cue playing during Kay/Tucker's "I mean nothing to you" scene. Kay doesn't realize how much harder she is making life for herself. Jeanne can't cry.

I very much enjoyed the "war room" (Jack, Cane, Victor, Nick, Adam), planning strategy. Working together, yet with agendas (Jack and Jabot).

I didn't realize that little twist (about Nick reimbursing the Cayman depositors) would leave NE cash poor--and therefore weakened in this Tucker fight. That is an interesting twist...and I like the planning that it shows.

Soapydoc pointed out (on twitter) that Nick had no hair product at NE...but he had oodles of grease by the time he got to Crimson Lights. Continuity people?? (When he came back to NE, his hair was washed again).

Gloria continues to annoy! Why does Gloria still owe Jack money? I simply don't remember what "Jabot settlement" Jack is referring to.

The idea of a liberated Phyllis is appealing. I look forward to her new direction.

And the previews! I'm so excited for Tuesday. Adam goes to Tucker. Sheila! Victor seeming to be reasonable and gentle with Billy.

• Administrator

Agreed. I thought their dialogue was fantastic too. Whenever Janice Ferri Esser edits, the dialogue is richer.

That was a great scene....very old school Y&R. Too bad we rarely see any good business scenes like that nowadays.

• Members

I didn't have a problem with any of the Jill-Katherine dialogue--it was in character of them both to do so and agree those lines were classic Katherine-Jill feud. What I find was Katherine propping was how Cane were rushing to Katherine's defense and painting her as the bad guy.

Of course they've done much worse, but Cooper is over 80 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqK5j5gZejU

• Members

What about the scene a few months back,when Katherine told Jill that she knew Phillip didn't love her and her fight against Jill has been based purely on revenge.Basically,Katherine was conceding that Jill should have been with Phillip and it was only her selfishness that stopped that happening.

That was my impression,anyway.It was a beautifully written and acted scene that came out of nowhere and should have been a huge turning point,but was pretty much swept over.

Does anyone remember this?

• Members

Yes. It was an amazing scene. I think it is still true.

What today showed was -- DESPITE truth -- these women have so little trust and so much residual pain that even the truths they have realized can be quickly set aside, and they can instantly fall back into their pattern of mutual wounding. There is a throughline of psychological truth in the Jill-Kay story that I just love...because these repetitive destructive patterns really happen.

Victor and Nikki have a similar thing. I remember when they last got divorced. They both fantasized about calling it off and admitting their love...but they were too stubborn and prideful, so they confided none of their emotions and went through with the divorce.

These two couples, Jill-Kay and Victor-Nikki--are at their best when they regress.

This particular Jill-Kay feud, so far, feels much more organic and real than the made-up one when Jill was unable to accept that she was not Kay's daughter (and went to work as a manicurist, blah blah blah). This one feels like it could last for a while.

I was a little disappointed today that Brock was just a comfort to his mother--and less the voice of reason and reconciliation (though he did try to bring Tucker to Kay--and she very destructively would have none of it). It appears that we're back to a nasty, dysfunctional Kay. It will be fun to see how Murphy reacts to this much less sainted creature!

Archived