Y&R Neilsen Forum

• Members

I did, but I think they read message boards so they do suspect what we think, hense the survey.

Since soaps love playing musical writers, I don't understand why Showowners don't have the same outs in the contracts that they do with the actors.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Remember, though, that this was not an explicit attempt to attract online communities.

They advertised this with a screen crawl during Monday's air show. So they wanted CBS viewers to log on and reply. That implies, to me, that they were seeking a bigger and more representative pool of VIEWERS. They know (using this "convenience" approach rather than sampling) that they are getting a selective proportion of the most engaged viewers. They also know they're probably getting a younger and more tech-savvy subset of viewers. But these things are likely okay, because that is precisely the "slice" of audience members they are seeking to maintain or grow viewership in.

If it is true that the survey is closed after a day (I am disinclined to believe that...they have a "cookie" protection in there, so if you have visited the survey once, they won't let you back in. But, if you just clear your cookies, you are allowed back in. The link was still active on http://cbs.com/daytime last night), then that really says that they sought to grab a very quick sampling of viewers who were watching on Monday/early in the week (typically the days of highest viewership).

I find this all very remarkable. We don't see this kind of thing happening so overtly in primetime. It shows, again, that soaps are much more of a consumer-directed (rather than "auteur driven") product.

I don't think this kind of survey leads to any major changes. I think it leads to gradual emphasis on certain characters and storylines at the expense of others over time.

I fully expect that the LANE fans will spam this survey, and we'll have Cane/Lily till the end.

• Members

People who have only heard about this survey today and are trying to take it, can't take it. They're getting the "there's no more available tests" message after they enter their age and gender.

Maybe the backlash was too severe for them? LOL

I don't understand leaving a survey available for one day, how far could they get with such limited results?

Guest dc cubs

I watch Y&R but don't take place in the discussions here. I tried to take the survey and got that message. A friend suggested that Nielsen is only allowing so many responses per gender and age group. Apparently they have enough responses for their key demo groups. I lied and said I was a forty year old male and was able to take the survey. So if you haven't completed the survey and still want to you can but will have to play around with the gender and age categories to see what is still available.

Archived