Y&R Neilsen Forum

• Members

The url for the survey is here

http://home.reelresearch.com/newsurveysystem/survey/welcome.asp?refername=cbsdaytime

Questions include

Say you're a 22-year old woman, okay? LOL

Age (me 44)

Gender (me male)

How many episodes do you watch? (me 5)

Change in frequency in the last year? (me about the same)

The ONE character you most tune in to see (me TGVN)

The ONE character you don't like to see (me Lily Winters)

We are supposed to rate our interest in these characters:

Group 1: Lauren, Daisy, Jana,Daniel, Phyllis, Michael, Amber, Gloria, Ryder, Kevin

Group 2: Jack, Emily, Ashley, Patty, Lily, Cane, Devon, Jill, Paul, Neil

Group 3: Chance, Nina, Tucker, Mackenzie, Chloe, JT, Katherine, Rafe, Billy (notice, no P3, but Rafe??)

Group 4: Victor, Phillip, Nikki, Victoria, Adam, Abby, Nick, Heather, Sharon (I was surprised P3 showed up here)

Then, they go through coupls (Noah/Eden, Gloria/Jeff, Lily/Cane, Billy/Mac, Jack/Em, Chloe/Chance, Emily/Paul/Patty, Billy/Chloe, Phick.

Group 2 is Likey, Kay/Murphy, Neil and Lily, Kevin/Ryder, Kevin/Jana, Daniel/Amber, Lauren/Daisy, Kay/Jill.

Group 3 is Devon/Roxy, Nikki/Paul, Ash/Victor, Shadam, Jt/Viki, Shick, Victor and Nikki, Phick

You then rate specific characters, and say which characters you want to see more/less of.

Toward the end, you're asked to rate the pace!!

Their demo groups are under 18, 18-34, 35-54, and 55+. So this tells me the 18-34 group is the one they're most interested in.

I wonder how much this survey has shaped what we have seen in the last year? (They did it last year too).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is insane. Okay, I am all for fan imput; however, a writer is an artist and should not have to shape his/her story around focus groups/online polls. The writer should be given a chance to write a good story and, if things go badly, then he or she should be let go. The viewers, all ages, will watch if the product is good. Of course, there are a few exceptions but that doesn't really relate here: Santa Barbara might be a good example.

Y&R is a mess right now. CBS/Sony do not need an online poll to tell them this. Corporate America is still looking for that perfect formula that will bring in max ratings. I have the answer, a simple solution: find good writers!

As an aside, I see Sheffer's work in the Cloe+Chance story 'cause it is nothing but a ATWT Jack and Carly redux. I love Hendrickson but, aside from her, this story is BUSTED!

• Members

Now, what they choose to DO with the information is between them and the God they serve, but fans, GO FILL IT OUT! Sure, you may not see your opinions reflected onscreen, but at least you'll know that you gave your two cents.

• Administrator

I did the survey, but I don't think I will count because I'm definitely not in California with a 90210 zip code! I'm in Canada. LOL I'm sure they'll check the IP address.

Some of my answers:

Sex: Female (false - I'm a guy)

How many episodes of The Young & The Restless do you usually watch during a typical week?: 5

How do you rate the program The Young & The Restless? Poor

How would you describe your frequency of viewing The Young & The Restless each week compared to a year ago?: Less (false - I still watch every episode)

Thinking about all of the characters on The Young & The Restless, which is the one character you really tune in to see the most?: Jack Abbott

Again, thinking about all of the characters on The Young & The Restless, which is the one character you really don’t want to see when you tune in?: Gloria

I have "poor" to about 90% of the characters.

The pairings:

Chloe and Chance:Poor

Billy and Chloe:Poor

Billy and Mackenzie:Poor

Lily and Cane:Poor

Gloria and Jeff :Poor

Emily, Paul and Patty: Fair

Phyllis and Nick: Poor

Noah and Eden: Poor

Jack and Emily:Poor

Kevin and Jana : Poor

Lauren and Daisy: Poor

Michael and Lauren: Poor

Daniel and Amber: Poor

Kay and Murphy: Fair

Kay and Jill: Favorite

Neil and Lily : Poor

Kevin and Ryder: Poor

Nick and Phyllis: Poor

Victor and Nikki: Fair

Devon and Roxanne: Poor

Nick and Sharon : Poor

Adam and Sharon : Poor

Nikki and Paul : Fair

JT and Victoria : Poor

Ashley and Victor: Fair

Advice to the producers/writers:

- Better writing

- Slower paced stories

- Play all the beats of a story

- Plan out the stories months ahead, even a year ahead

- More business stories

- No more DNA switches

- More deep conversation scenes between characters

- Better production values (I'm not satisfied with Paul Rauch's production)

- More focus on the core characters, the veterans

How would you describe the pace of the storytelling on The Young & The Restless?: Moves Too Quickly

• Members

Toups, you should've just made up a zipcode. I'm going to be a 22 year old female instead of male. Also, I don't see the harm in this. You could take into account fan opinion, completely unbiased focus groups, etc. and I'm sure you'll come up with a solid answer. If everybody is saying the same thing then you have a problem.

• Members

I filled it in, twice. I likely will fill it in a third time. Yes, I'm that bored and yes, Y&R is that bad.

I wrote a LONG description of what's wrong with the show and since I'm currently in LA, these surveys will count. That said, I think everyone should fill them in because if Neilsen was going to check IPs I'd think they would have done it for the survey itself, not after they're submitted.

• Members

LMAO at all these 22 year old women :). What zip code should we be from? LOL New York City, or Kansas?

On another note, how do they handle the spammers? DaytimeFan already talked about three submissions. I'm worried about those LAME fans (the ones who give us weekly "wins" for their couples in all the magazines) spamming the hell out of this. My only hope is that this one takes too long to spam too much. Or maybe Neilsen does IP-filtering? In other words, even if you clear your cookies, maybe they still track multiple responses from the same computer as best as they can? (But if they did that, they'd lose multiple users from the same computer).

• Members

IP filtering and clearing cookies are two different things. You can clear the cookies and have the same IP.

This is basically a bullsh!t survey precisely because people are going to use it to push their agendas. That suits me if it gets Maria axed, but doesn't if it doesn't.

They made a mistake in that they should have used both, the IP and cookies. I'm guessing people usually repeat the survey 3 times in a row, one after the other — they don't wait 10 hours or 3 days to complete it one other time — so they should have used the cookies which would result in a message popping up on the page We are sorry but you already completed this survey. You may participate only once. Then people would think it's not possible to do it again and wouldn't come back. At least the majority, which isn't tech savvy. The tech savvy people would definitely check the IP thing and cookies at least. :)

• Members

Sex: Female

How many episodes of The Young & The Restless do you usually watch during a typical week?: 1

How do you rate the program The Young & The Restless? The worse I've ever seen it.

How would you describe your frequency of viewing The Young & The Restless each week compared to a year ago?: Less I hardly watch anymore

Thinking about all of the characters on The Young & The Restless, which is the one character you really tune in to see the most?: Chloe

Again, thinking about all of the characters on The Young & The Restless, which is the one character you really don’t want to see when you tune in?: Gloria

The pairings:

Chloe and Chance:Poor

Billy and Chloe:Poor

Billy and Mackenzie:Poor

Lily and Cane:Poor

Gloria and Jeff :Poor

Emily, Paul and Patty: Fair

Phyllis and Nick: Poor

Noah and Eden: Poor

Jack and Emily:Poor

Kevin and Jana : Poor

Lauren and Daisy: Poor

Michael and Lauren: Poor

Daniel and Amber: Poor

Kay and Murphy: Good

Kay and Jill: Favorite

Neil and Lily : Poor

Kevin and Ryder: Poor

Nick and Phyllis: Poor

Victor and Nikki: Fair

Devon and Roxanne: Poor

Nick and Sharon : Poor

Adam and Sharon : Poor

Nikki and Paul : Fair

JT and Victoria : Poor

Ashley and Victor: Fair

Advice to the producers/writers:

Stop segregating African-American characters.

Develop true romances and love stories.

Use the history of the characters, don't abuse it or reinvent it.

Find more intellectually and sophisticated stories.

We need more family-oriented stories for the Abbots, Chancellors.

End the Phyllis and Sharon fighting over Nick. It's gone on for far too long.

How would you describe the pace of the storytelling on The Young & The Restless?: Moves Too Quickly

Archived