ALL: The Least Destroyed Soap Opera

• Members

I feel that Days and OLTL are the shows whose cores have been the least ripped out in permanent ways. What's interesting is that now, I watch Days and even though a lot of the characters are newer, it still feels very much like Days. Whoever's running things takes care to remind us of Salem history -- sometimes in very non-subtle ways, but those recollections are why I watch soaps. I don't usually feel like they're trying to forge a new show separate from the history. Same with OLTL, for the most part. Say what you will about the current regimes at either of those shows, but I think this thread is a matter of If your dream writer were suddenly in charge of the show, how easy would it be for him/her to restore the show to its full glory? I feel like, with Days and OLTL, the pieces are there (especially if they had the budgets to load up with cast members from the past).

I guess the "core" of B&B is pretty much intact, but it's such a gross, incest-ravaged mess that it doesn't appeal to me. I actually feel like the core has been worn down and warped by all the horrible ping-pong "love" stories and triangles and incest.

Y&R, in the hands of careful, competent guides, might be more easily repairable than it seems. It's more the attitude of the writing right now than it is permanent damage (although killing Colleen, retconning Philip's death, etc. can never be taken back, which sucks).

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think, historically, DAYS has been the easiest show to fix. For whatever reason it's core has never been ripped to shreds and DAYS is still DAYS, even when it's been dreadful. It's been fixed so many times it's astounding.

AMC is also still relatively intact. That's due to La Lucci. Without Erica Kane the show would have changed radically ages ago under Frons. Erica is both the tentpole, like Viki on OLTL and Stephanie on B&B as well as the 'star' of the show. The only other character in such a position is Victor on Y&R. So long as Erica's there, the show is fixable.

B&B is fixable because it really isn't that bad. The problem is that Brad Bell has become complacent in terms of storyline and he is afraid to advance the show in any solid direction.

Y&R is a [!@#$%^&*] mess. A lot of damage has been done in the last year. It's really shocking what's happened to what was once daytime's crown jewel. Since I know she couldn't do worse than MAB and her lot of hacks, I'd love to see what Kay Alden would do if she got parachuted into the writing team as HW.

• Members

I was just listing ideas around. It would certainly be better than Mob [!@#$%^&*]. And it wouldnt be constant cheating? The only person who would be "cheating" would be maxie, and it would just be a tool to get Maxie and Spinelli over, which could be done another way.

And as for Lisa and PAtrick, we all know Patrick is gonna sleep with lisa. Hopefully it will be the final straw and robin will walk out.

• Members

Killing Brad was a budget thing, they had to ax a vet and ax fell on him. It sucks though, 'cause he was one of the few Jewish characters on daytime. Actually, he was the only Jew and I wonder what viewers thought about that. I liked the Holocaust art story but realize no one else did. I wonder if his focus group score fell when his mama made the matzo balls? Plus, Brad was just hot. As for Collen, that was some serious damage because of Tracy.

Billy: He can just be a social drunk like his Mama.

Lilly: She will have to adopt. They write her sweet-as-splenda so this should be a huge problem in the future.

Patty: She was MIA for 20 years--no one cares or will miss her

Phillip: See above.

Victor: He was always a sociopath. He fed someone rat for supper under Bill Bell.

Y&R still gets insane ratings when compared to the other soaps. Viewers are not running for the exits. This is the most stable show on daytime when you contrast it against what Frons has done to ABC shows and Goutman did to World Turns. At the least, Y&R still has an opening theme song, good sets, vets who get used, and stories that somewhat make sense. I will say the show is stale, boring as melba toast. Also, NuMalcom isn't working for me. The actor is actually good but can't play gay like Shemar Moore. Oh, maybe this guy isn't gay ;-)

Here is a thought: Shemar Moore finally comes out and gets paired with Thom Bierdz--Hot and I can just see the look on Dru's face. She'd probably comment on how Phillip looks nothing like her! Neil would just be relieved to have less competition. Phyllis would be having a field day. Lilly would be like 'I love my gay Uncle Malcom/Dad. Cane, your the best! I triple forgive you for all the lies you've told 'cause you brought Uncle Malcom love."

• Members

True, ATWT is still ATWT and, come to think of it, the show has always had overly-sentimental story. I just worry that the GL crew is slowly worming in. I notice it in small ways, like the music. I see it with stories like this weeks road trip: bad hand held cams and those shots taken at a run down Citgo gas station. I know GL staff have entered the building when Lilly and Damien adopt their son's boyfriend, Noah, for no real reason aside from playing the taboo incest card like those kissing cousins back in Springfield. GL died fast while World Turns is just slowly wasting away. I still have a feeling that Pissy is still writing what us fans are calling the 'good' stories while Boy Wonder adds the finishing touches.

I do wonder if ATWT would benefit from getting on a Soap Mag cover once in a while.

• Members

Billy was already established as having a drinking problem. He almost died because of his drinking 10 years ago.

I think the men at ATWT now probably have a much more cavalier attitude towards alcohol, or think real men don't have drinking problems.

Early Victor was not what Bill Bell wrote for the character for most of his run. The other difference is that back then, Victor did not have a cult of followers talking about what a wonderful man he is, and was not constantly propped by the writing.

• Members

Brad's death was MORE than "a budget thing"

WAY more.

Colleen's death was TOTALLY unnecessary.

Eh no.

Jill is a social drinker.

Billy is an alcoholic.

BIG difference.

She shouldn't have to.

They robbed the one female minority legacy character of her ability to bear children to prop CANE.

PLENTY of people cared & will miss her.

ANOTHER female legacy character ruined for NOTHING.

Not even in the same universe.

Phillip returns from the dead & his sole purpose in life is to prop CANE?!

Victor was NOT ALWAYS a sociopath.

Sheila Carter, Todd Manning, Roger Thorpe, James Stenbeck are sociopaths.

Viewers weren't running for the exits BEFORE the YEARS of horrible writing regimes either.

Acting like viewers decided to start watching the show NOW when it's been the top show in Daytime for 20 years doesn't wash.

Other soaps problems don't mean Y&R CAN'T be horrible.

Y&R's been on a slow march to GL style immolation for YEARS.

It MAY be the last soap standing but that's not saying much given Daytime's current climate.

• Members

Agreed about World Turns: Jack is always sucking down a beer. In a lot of ways ATWT has become the low-end and blue collar soap. Janet was drinking a lot, too, sporting her Wal*Mart wig. I can remember back to when Marland's ATWT had class and was probably the most upscale soap on TV.

• Members

I actually meant to type Y&R, but you are also right. :lol: I'm really surprised at how they have still had Jack keep drinking after what happened with Brad. That's probably one of the only complaints I'd have about his current story.

• Members

I am shocked they still have Jack drinking not just because of Brad but also because of Carly's drinking issues. I think PGP decided to market both GL and ATWT to a certain economic demo (they probably did some type of research). I feel like ATWT has certain stereotypes about 'working class' people, one of which is drinking. Jack has become Oakdale's Joe SixPack. I started seeing this stuff when they brough in Janet and Liberty. Jack never had had a white trash wife before and Liberty sounds like a name str8 from the trailer park--no offense to anyone who lives in a trailer. I just think PGP has a target viewership for the show.

• Members

The problem with Billy drinking is that he swore off alcohol after he almost died 10 years ago. Now nobody mentions that and acts like it's cute that he's always drunk. They act like that's just Billy and his quirks. Shouldn't someone be worried about him? Doesn't it even merit a mention? That was a major part of his development.

The reason Y&R is so damaged is because it seems they're going out of their way to change any and everything just because. I believe it's a combination of not knowing and not caring.

Archived