ALL: The Least Destroyed Soap Opera

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with you. I was just saying that by doing those things, you could rid the show of the mob, and focus on rebuilding the show from there. I would like to see more Quartermaines, but with only Tracy Monica and Edward left, it could be hard. But you could bring back Jimmy Lee Holt, maybe have him have a family of his own, which could tie in with the Quartermaines. And then you could also bring back Ned (I mean come on, what is he doing on DAYS? Hes like never on, and when he is its not much). And I wouldnt even mind a recast Dillon. ( I would like Skye to come back too, but I dont think she even acts anymore.)

And as for the Scorpio's, I could see Anna and Robert return and maybe have a little fling or something. And a big storyline tying in anna, mac, robert and robin. Holly could come back too, or something like that.

Spencers? Laura could come back I suppose. Bobbie could be put back on contract, Luke could go back to being a hero, instead of a drunk, and Lucky could be de-douched, and then Lulu could be worked back into a Spencer plot.

I mean there are ways to work all the families back in...It wouldnt be easy, I suppose, but it isnt impossible at all. ?I dont think any of the soaps are destroyed.

And then of course you could work back in the Webbers somehow. Steven is back in town. Elzabeth is a trainwreck, so a family storyline would be better than another horrid love triabgle. Sarah could role back into town. Jeff could come back (even if it was a recast), and we could finally know who Liz and Sarahs mom is. I wouldnt mind a Heather return too...

• Members

The mob is GH now. I suspect most watching love it.

IMO GH killed off/exited too many vital characters to be able to rebuild. THat's just an opinion. Alan Quartermaine, while not a vital part of the show for years, was a tentpole and his role at the hospital side(whether he was onscreen a lot or not) was vital. Once Alan was killed off and then the same year 2 young legacy females, the show lost me. Alan's death especially is a move, while appearing to be relatively unimportant, I think hurt the show more than anything. Even killing off Monica would have had less impact and hurt less I think. But those Quartermaines were all old and fat and need to go and/or be shown less.

• Members

I agree with you to some extent. I think that the mob has really become GH, and it is a shame. But honestly, I think that would be much different if HW's changed. Is it likely GH will see a new headwriter anytime soon? No. But if GH got one that actually came in and said "Even though the show is good in demos, the total viewers really suck. This show has repelled longtime viewers for a long time now." then there would be hope for the show.

Alan's death was horrendous, and stupid. He had his heart attack, it made for dramatic storylines and all, but why did he need to have yet another one and die? He didnt it. The point could have been made without the death of this legacy character. I agree that even Monica's death would have somehow less appauling. And Georgie and Emily? So sad and horrible. I am not a Natalia fan, really, but I liked Emily because she was just such a legacy to the show. I loved Georgie. I think all those events are ones that could lead to the destruction of the show, but I think there is just enough of a foundation left in the key families, that if a decent writer came in and saw what really needed to be done, it could be accomplished over time.

• Members

I don't think it's OLTL's idea that John be vital to the Mitch story. I think that is Frons's idea. Any regime would have to work with these kind of constraints; at ABC, it is Man X, Y and Z come first. The tidbits that have started coming out about OLTL's rejected stories for Jared and Natalie, Viki, etc. make my teeth grind. Is that to say RC is perfect? Nooooo, not at all. He has his obsessions. But even with them I think we'd have a much more well-oiled show without Frons around - and even with Frons, I have more of a sense of a canvas and sustained texture than the other soaps.

• Members

Well, it's unfortunate that Frons has so much say, because whether it's Frons's idea or RC's idea to do the Mitch stuff and the Dani stuff and the Rex/Gigi stuff, in the end, it all appears on the show, and IMO, it's a huge blemish.

RC is more than capable of churning out some shitty material. When OLTL is good, it's the best in daytime, but when it's bad, for this viewer, it's an embarrassment to watch. Cringe-worthy, even. I'll take a bad ATWT day over a bad OLTL day.

• Members

I'm going to say the entire CBS lineup: each show needs serious work but they have all somewhat maintained history.

ATWT often sucks but has little to no extra money. The writing has been solid for the past few months but could be much better. This show needs new blood in the form of a great solo HW. Teams almost never work and the current band can't cut it. I might keep Pissy around for some history but only for breakdown. The one good thing I can saw for Goutman is that he hasn't ever done a purge and elimated vets--he just never uses them.

Y&R could be turned around quick if they restored Jack Smith. No long term damage has been done to the canvas aside from lost viewers.

B&B: This show sucks the same as it did five years ago. I actually see some potential if and only if they were to reduce the amount of characters. There is just too much happening for a 30 minute show. I see Lang and Thom as the future of B&B.

• Members

We have a difference of opinion on what works and what doesn't. I like Matthew and Danielle, and I think the Mitch story picked up again once he left the hospital. I think the only unanimous point of agreement around here is on Rex and Gigi, and even they still have their couple fans offscreen and in the wilds of the Net.

I would not. The daily scripting and plotting of ATWT is beyond amateurish. The show moves at warp speed with no concern for character.

• Members

Ruining Abby. Making the Newman family into empty, entitled shells. Turning Sharon into the town mattress. Overusing Cassie's death to the point where she's almost a joke. The horrible misuse of rape. Bringing Ashley back only to turn her into even more of a frosty headcase. Populating the town with dead-eyed brats who are some half-sibling to other dead-eyed brats. Jettisoning any moral responsibility and hoping that occasionally showing the rapist/molester/armed robber of the day looking hot, or making sad facial expressions, is good enough.

• Members

Treating The Winters as props for Khalil, Peeples & an untalented reality show actress, Using Hispanic characters as tokens then shoving them onto the backburner, treating 40+ women like idiot spinsters, using Katherine as a prop for newbies dujor, treating 40+ men that aren't Victor like extras, ditching established character history & motivation to prop agenda driven characters, using Billy's alcoholism, Mackenzie's womb & Chance's legacy to prop Chloe & Lane, banishing Lauren's family while making The Baldwin-Fisher-Bardwell's into saints, using Adam to prop Aunt Jack & Nick, using Murphy as the town conscience, killing animals for shock value, treating mental illness like a stop gap to marriage, writing for & propping CHARACTERS FROM OTHER SHOWS while ignoring existing characters.

• Members

GH & Y&R need some fresh blood or some who knows the show, the town, the characters history. GH would be great if the mob stuff is blown out the window. Cart Sonny off to a big prison or let him meet his maker. Lucy and Kevin could return in the fall of 2010 Scott return to town with a new wife of his arm..........Skye, much to his sister, Monica dismay (many people forgot that Monica and Scott are step-siblings). Nurses' ball return. stop with the Bensonhurst people already, first there was Sonny and Lois, now the whole town is come to Port Charles. Rebuilding the Quartermaine family is important since they are the closest thing to core family on the show. Cecila (Anna Stuart), Alexandria (Leann Hurley), and Jimmy Lee (Justin Deas/Ben Masters) can return. Bring the focal point back to the Hospital. use the vets more. Jason Morgan is Jason Quartermaine again after an accident. Monica/Lucy/Kevin, Tracy/Scott/Skye, Jimmy Lee/Bobbie. Robin Mattson return as Heather Webber to be near her son Cecila and Alexandria battler Edward for the company, Cecila cougaristic affair with Jax and her battle with "low class" Carly.

Y&R need to bring the characters back to what they use to be. I am not if there is a way to redeem Patty because she would have been a great return if she was not out to Kill Jack. stop breaking up Victor and Nikki, and bringing in new characters with no ties or story. insane recasts. Katherine's daughter should be someone from the past like one of the Brooks sisters or if you was to create a new character for the role it should be a soap vet. The Brooks sisters, at least one or two, should return to the show or some of their offsprings. Ashley needs a love interest, I would bring back Snapper Foster (William Espy) for the part. Diane Jenkins (Alex Donnelly) could return and spice things up for Victor, Jack, and Nikki or she could be Katherine's daughter or Tucker's wife.

• Members

Too true...ATWT is still ATWT, boring and dumb storylines, but still ATWT. I have missed several years and tuned in and yes, it still is the same show, so I could easily get into if it was uh, good. GL was dead, dead, dead. All the moaning and pissing from the viewers who wanted it back was not going to save it as it had morphed into something new, and not better, years before.

Archived